• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

I'm supposed to go to a bday party for the gf's brother... but I feel like shit. I hope to God I am not getting the stomach bug

Hope for ya. I'm combatting something more than a bug, but I'm a stubborn warrior of a guy and I just keep going instead of taking a sick day.

Thinking I won't be truly healthy til next Friday or so.

Mornin'.. Miserable day here. Again.

Ouch, what's up man? Good luck, feel better.

A strange day here. My favorite celebration of the year is today, and I'm not going. Too busy with school, too much fun stuff planned for next weekend and the week after. I have to make decisions, but oh man, does it sting that I'm not out there for Carnaval/Mardi Gras.

Oh I'm quite alright, it's the weather that's a douche. We planned on house hunting today, but it's nashty out.

Mardi Gras in The Netherlands? One thing I've learned in old age is that you can't do everything, fun is fun but time and money are very elusive.

Oh I'm quite alright, it's the weather that's a douche. We planned on house hunting today, but it's nashty out.

Mardi Gras in The Netherlands? One thing I've learned in old age is that you can't do everything, fun is fun but time and money are very elusive.

Oh, alright. Well, house hunting should be fun, but is more fun in good weather obviously. Already looking forward to the day I can seriously go house hunting with a nice bag of money, haha.

Yes, Mardi Gras is based of the European (Catholic) tradition of Carnaval. It's the celebration 6 weeks prior to Easter to kick of the period of Lent. People dress up in funny costumes and party for 3 straight days in the streets before they retreat for 6 long weeks. I'm not a Catholic, not even religious, but the tradition is still big around here and not just because of drinking and partying, but because it's only in this part of the Netherlands and not "above the rivers". We have our own Mason-Dixon line thing here. Above the rivers are the big cities (Rotterdam, Amsterdam, The Hague, etc.) and people are very harsh, direct and are mostly protestants. Below the rivers the people are a bit more bourgondic, we have the French vibe in what we do and are more people of the "good life", and majority is Catholic. Oh, and we speak Dutch with an awful accent and we know it. Carnaval here is a southern thing and we are DAMN proud of it.

I mean, Dutch is my second language. My first language will always be Limburgish, a regional language spoken in dozens of variaties by about 2 million people in eastern Belgium, south-eastern The Netherlands and the west tip of Germany. That's how deep this goes. I'm from Limburg first, from Europe second... and maybe The Netherlands third. I'm not a stereotypical Dutchman in any way or form, I'm the complete opposite. Only in sport I truly take pride in being Dutch, that's it.