• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Cheap TV

NYRangers92

I don't like my parents' Sony at all. And I don't know why you guys are saying Vizio is good. They look like shit compared to a Pioneer, Panasonic or even LG or Samsung. It can make sense to get a Vizio if you're dead set on getting a large TV but for a small one, you're saving like $50 by going with a much shittier product, one you'll be using for hours a day. I'd go with a Samsung or LG if I were on a tight budget. Look at Tigerdirect, Newegg, and Amazon. Tigerdirect is where I got my TV. And they were cheaper than everyone else by $200. And that includes shipping (50" plasma is not easy to ship).

There are some nice 26" Samsungs and LG's too for just over $300

I don't like my parents' Sony at all. And I don't know why you guys are saying Vizio is good. They look like shit compared to a Pioneer, Panasonic or even LG or Samsung. It can make sense to get a Vizio if you're dead set on getting a large TV but for a small one, you're saving like $50 by going with a much shittier product, one you'll be using for hours a day. I'd go with a Samsung or LG if I were on a tight budget. Look at Tigerdirect, Newegg, and Amazon. Tigerdirect is where I got my TV. And they were cheaper than everyone else by $200. And that includes shipping (50" plasma is not easy to ship).

There are some nice 26" Samsungs and LG's too for just over $300

He said he wanted a cheap TV for school. Not a top of the line TV for home.

Vizios are the best of the lower tier TV.

The Sears gift card really limited me to whatever they had in store, which was not a lot. Oh well, the RCA works good enough and has everything I wanted from a new tv (component inputs, HDMI/PC input, etc). Only thing is the sound is kinda shitty but if its really unbearable ill just plug in my computer speakers

He said he wanted a cheap TV for school. Not a top of the line TV for home.

Vizios are the best of the lower tier TV.

His dorm is his home for the time being. And my point was that the difference in price between "higher tier" and "lower tier" is small when talking about small models. I never recommended a Panasonic, even though that's what I have and love. I know they're more expensive. So I recommended "middle tier" brands because like I said, the price is not much different at all.. and the quality/service will likely be better.

The best way to get advice about this kind of thing is to go to avsforum.com and ask them. Most of those folks know 12x what we know.

Anyways enjoy the new TV. Awesome use of a gift card. And don't sweat the sound thing.... pretty much no matter what flatscreen TV you buy, the sound is going to blow. They can only fit so much in there. Just a warning though, plugging computer speakers into TV's doesn't always work.

so nobody wants to answer my question lol

is buying a refurbished tv a big deal? a 22 inch hd flatscreen refurbished for 155?

who makes it? does it have a warranty?

if I was buying a 1500 dollar tv, I wouldn't want a refurbished one. but for that price, what's to lose? even if the thing blows up in a year, you're only out the cost of a keg of beer :) i've owned a couple of refurbished electronics and never had a problem.

His dorm is his home for the time being. And my point was that the difference in price between "higher tier" and "lower tier" is small when talking about small models. I never recommended a Panasonic, even though that's what I have and love. I know they're more expensive. So I recommended "middle tier" brands because like I said, the price is not much different at all.. and the quality/service will likely be better.

The best way to get advice about this kind of thing is to go to avsforum.com and ask them. Most of those folks know 12x what we know.

Anyways enjoy the new TV. Awesome use of a gift card. And don't sweat the sound thing.... pretty much no matter what flatscreen TV you buy, the sound is going to blow. They can only fit so much in there. Just a warning though, plugging computer speakers into TV's doesn't always work.

His dorm is for 6 months. Comparing it to things you buy for your house is a little silly.

Vizio's are definetly the best of the lower end, they are actually pretty reliable and decent(and of course cost effective). Stay the fuck away from Insignia's though... thats the best buy brand where they throw left over parts from multiple companies and make their own low end piece of garbage television

who makes it? does it have a warranty?

if I was buying a 1500 dollar tv, I wouldn't want a refurbished one. but for that price, what's to lose? even if the thing blows up in a year, you're only out the cost of a keg of beer :) i've owned a couple of refurbished electronics and never had a problem.

its a Phillips so I think its a good brand

I got it off of Best Buy, who ive never really liked, but I figured teh deal was too good to pass

its a Phillips so I think its a good brand

I got it off of Best Buy, who ive never really liked, but I figured teh deal was too good to pass

Phillips is notorious for their refurbished electronics. I'd google it. I'm guessing that it's probably a safe purchase since it's a big company and they do the refurbishing thing so often.

• 3 months later...
They are more than OK for a smaller bedroom TV for your mom. I wouldn't make it my main piece, though.

Hmmm there's also a Toshiba same size on sale till Sunday in a radioshack near brooklyn.

Toshiba vs Vizio is my 2nd question, trying to look for reviews but they basically get the same reviews on amazon

Archived