• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

'Sons of Anarchy' on FX

Phil

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm the least religious person around these parts, but even I can appreciate the Jesus-overtones to that. Jax going out arms-out (Christ pose), the body and blood symbolism with the "guardian angel" homeless woman and at his death scene, etc.

Sutter lied, and more than two Sons died, but I don't care. He told such an amazing story from start to finish.

Well I guess that's the beauty of an ending like this, you can sort of decide for yourself how you want the future to be written.

One can look at the ring and say that Adam (John Teller) indeed raised a Cain (Jackson), and so that viscous cycle will continue on with Abel who will himself become a Cain one day.

Or you can say that the ring was a final gift to Abel, who in the end will indeed be the good 'son'.

I do remember when he was giving Abel the ring earlier in the season and asking myself "why Jax?" "Don't pass that on, let it end with you."

I'm sure John said the same thing to himself just as Jax did that he wanted his son to hate him, and sure enough he did opposite and ended up loving his dad and living the life he never wanted for his boy.

I guess its the parent in me that indeed hopes that Abel will someday take the right path despite the sins of his seedline.

Yes you're right Gemma. I don't know why I thought it was Jackson. :p

To me it's still up to how you want to interpret it I guess. I thought it was very symbolic that unlike his father who left around a world of letters and history before his death, Jax burned them. To me he was ending the Teller part of the SAMCRO story right there. He was saying goodbye to his old life, to his best friend, to his wife, and to his children.

Abel may join the life one day or he may not, but he will most likely know the truth from the start. Wendy may have relapses and moments of weakness and she may not be a great mother, that we will never know, but she won't be leaving an open wound around to fester like Gemma did.

I'll give you this much — he left the door open. Whether it swings left or right, front or back, or what have you is entirely open to interpretation. Jax did everything he could at the end to shield his kids from this life, including not just dying, but asking Nero and Wendy to take them out of Charming entirely. Burning the letters, burning JT's manuscript, the photos, etc. was his way of doing all he could to ensure that Abel would never grow up envying his father's life, wanting it for himself.

I'm still not entirely convinced that will/would happen. I still think Abel saw enough, despite his young age, and was coached far enough along by Gemma that the ring itself is a symbol that the Son will become the Father. We'll never know, but I see it as a vicious cycle none of them can ever escape. You're born into that life, and you die in it too. It's kind of the motto of the shows' theme song...

This life is short, baby that’s a fact

Better live it right, you ain’t comin back

Gotta raise some hell, ‘fore they take you down

Gotta live this life

Gotta look this world in the eye

Gotta live this life until you die

Rome, or anyone else. Were you guys able to interpret the entire thing with the homeless lady, the blanket, and the bread and wine at the end on the side of the road? The homeless lady was the one eating the bread and drinking the wine.

When Jackson asks her who she is and she says "it's time" was anyone able to decipher all of that? Who she really was? What she truly meant by "it's time"?

The Grim Reaper/Angel of Death. She only revealed herself to two people in the entire series — Gemma and Jax. The matriarch and the protagonist. Both of whom ended up dead by the end of the series.

To me, she was a "softer" representation of the Angel of Death/Grim Reaper than what we're used to seeing, and that symbolism rang hard when she gave Jackson the cloak he used to cover himself on the steps of the Courthouse. Watch that scene again. What does that cloak resemble?

http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/hunnam-undercover/charlie-hunnam-goes-undercover-shoot-08.jpg

And that isn't even the best shot of it. Look at the very first shot from when that scene takes place if you have it recorded or you can find it online. Undeniably similar to an iconic image...

http://healthculturesociety.wikispaces.com/file/view/Reaper.jpg/271292176/Reaper.jpg

The bread and wine/blood were part of the Jesus Christ analogy for Jackson — symbolism of his self-sacrifice to save his Sons (paternal and the Club) from the Teller blood line, which conflicted greatly with trying to blur the line between a good outlaw and a good father/family man. You heard Jax talking to JT at the end, at the site of his death, speaking directly to this and the fact that the two can't co-exist.

The Grim Reaper/Angel of Death. She only revealed herself to two people in the entire series — Gemma and Jax. The matriarch and the protagonist. Both of whom ended up dead by the end of the series.

To me, she was a "softer" representation of the Angel of Death/Grim Reaper than what we're used to seeing, and that symbolism rang hard when she gave Jackson the cloak he used to cover himself on the steps of the Courthouse. Watch that scene again. What does that cloak resemble?

http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/hunnam-undercover/charlie-hunnam-goes-undercover-shoot-08.jpg

And that isn't even the best shot of it. Look at the very first shot from when that scene takes place if you have it recorded or you can find it online. Undeniably similar to an iconic image...

http://healthculturesociety.wikispaces.com/file/view/Reaper.jpg/271292176/Reaper.jpg

The bread and wine/blood were part of the Jesus Christ analogy for Jackson — symbolism of his self-sacrifice to save his Sons (paternal and the Club) from the Teller blood line, which conflicted greatly with trying to blur the line between a good outlaw and a good father/family man. You heard Jax talking to JT at the end, at the site of his death, speaking directly to this and the fact that the two can't co-exist.

Ahhh Amazing!

Thank you

I thought it was very similar in my belief. It was definitely the Jesus Christ emphasis...the fact that it was there i thought it was either a symbol of Jesus taking with him his son at the end, or she was his guardian angel. If it was the guardian angel it makes sense she was there when he fully decided to 'let go' and remove his hands from the handlebars, she went away with him.

Just epic finale

I think she was more the Angel of Death/Grim Reaper than Guardian Angel personally. To me, the "Guardian Angels" in those closing minutes were the crows flying overhead, as crows have historically been considered harbingers for the soul. The carriers of souls to the afterlife. Even The Crow made note of it all those years ago.

"People once believed, that when someone dies, a crow carries their soul to the land of the dead. But sometimes, something so bad happens, that a terrible sadness is carried with it and the soul can't rest. Then sometimes, just sometimes the crow could bring that soul back to put the wrong things right."

Not so much the latter half, but the first sentence rings true here as well.

The crows were, at least to me, a metaphor for fallen Sons before him, guiding him on his #FinalRide, ready to carry him to Heaven, or Valhalla, or whatever afterlife.

I love how you just put that. I can't disagree with the logic, and in watching the Afterword, Sutter even answered the question of who she was and her importance and he just said that it wasn't a specific ending with her and he wanted to keep the magical mythological meaning of her out there without making it phony. So he wanted to leave a little up to interpretation. I love the entire episode and I thought that aspect had people going WTF

I love that he did that, too. Not everything needs or even should have a concrete explanation in a series like this. Not based on its origins as a traditional comedy (tragedy). The idea is to have your own take-aways from the metaphors and the symbolism, from series premiere to series finale.

Hey, that's just my take on it. I could be wrong!

No, hey that's your take away of it and I really like how you thought that through. As you might know already I don't have that same quality and knack like some of you guys to see the symbols and metaphors, so you guys explaining your opinions really opens it up for me and how I want to interpret things.

You say that like I always get it! Sometimes stuff goes over my head too.

I just love throwing ideas back and forth over stuff like this, in threads like this.

On a related note... I already miss this show. Like I'm just now getting that feeling like it's really over, you know?

Archived