• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Could Add Buchnevich Late in Season; Graves, Drury Both Scouting in Russia

Phil

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You also have to take into account that those two played on much better teams than him. His team is literally full of scrubs. Put him on a contender and I think he's easily at a PPG right now.

He's not going to be as good as Tarasenko (who is?), but I can see him having the same impact here as Kuznetsov has had in Washington

The guy has deadly slapper, in addition to his pretty good wrist shot. And more important of all - he uses it. That would be a nice addition on the PP

Has now has 24 points in his last 26 games playing on one of the worst teams in the league (26th out of 28th in the league right now).

I think his adjustment to the smaller ice will be swift because he's such a well rounded player

Here are the two recent goals for those that don't go on the other forum:

http://giant.gfycat.com/UltimateSparklingChameleon.gif

http://giant.gfycat.com/AlertMajesticDwarfrabbit.gif

Shame we have no Kane to make him look all world.

True, but a guy like Buch, if he can be smart without the puck, can be a great fit with Steps and Kreider. Let Kreider do all the bruising work, Steps be the setup man, and Buch the finisher.

Idealistic maybe, but on paper, I think he could really thrive on that second line winger role.

True, but a guy like Buch, if he can be smart without the puck, can be a great fit with Steps and Kreider. Let Kreider do all the bruising work, Steps be the setup man, and Buch the finisher.

Idealistic maybe, but on paper, I think he could really thrive on that second line winger role.

Can be, but he can also be inept - see one Anthony Duclair, who's utterly useless when not on attack.

Are you talking about Pavel? He's certainly not as useless as Duclair without the puck.

Speaking of Pavel, he now has 27 points in 35 games, which is tied for 1st on the team. The third leading scorer on his team? A whopping 14 points in 35 games. His team is truly bottom of the barrel. I think if he was playing on a contender there would a ton more talk about him.

Are you talking about Pavel? He's certainly not as useless as Duclair without the puck.

Speaking of Pavel, he now has 27 points in 35 games, which is tied for 1st on the team. The third leading scorer on his team? A whopping 14 points in 35 games. His team is truly bottom of the barrel. I think if he was playing on a contender there would a ton more talk about him.

I can't say, I haven't seen him at a North American professional level, I'm only speculating.

That Wolski guy has like 34 points this season, more than a PPG. We should totally go after him too ;)

Teasing, obviously, but I don't put much stock in KHL stats.

Wolksi is 29 and has 450 NHL games under his belt. I know you're kidding, but not really comparable. We're talking about a 20 year old here leading his team in scoring. The KHL is one of, if not the hardest league to put up points in because they don't award gratuitous secondary assists. That's especially true for young players, who hardly ever even make as much a dent on the scoreboard over there.

I can't say that he's a sure first first liner to be, but this isn't some 19 year old lighting up the minors. He's playing amongst men and dominating.

Wolksi is 29 and has 450 NHL games under his belt. I know you're kidding, but not really comparable. We're talking about a 20 year old here leading his team in scoring. The KHL is one of, if not the hardest league to put up points in because they don't award gratuitous secondary assists. That's especially true for young players, who hardly ever even make as much a dent on the scoreboard over there.

I can't say that he's a sure first first liner to be, but this isn't some 19 year old lighting up the minors. He's playing amongst men and dominating.

Nigel Dawes. *note I'm partially kidding*

Yes, I know it's non-comparable, but if all you need to be is a mediocre NHL'er with some experience, who's over the age of 25, to put up points - I just can't put that much stock into KHL stats. But that's just me.

Sergei Mozyakin (no NHL games played, 30+ years of age) leads the league in points, Jan Kovar (No NHL games played, 25 years of age) is nearly PPG, Brandon Kozun (same as previous) is PPG. I'm not saying KHL numbers can't mean something, but it's clear that they don't necessarily reflect all-world talent.

Also, the argument that Buch plays on a garbage team is rather soft, as well, as bad players can/do put up monster numbers by being the sole focus of the offense.

Finishing up this post: I'm not a Buch hater, in fact, I want him to come into the roster and throw a duracell onto every player's back with his elite skill and phenomenal atheltisism... buuuuuut... let's be realistic.

Buchnevich gave an interview

http://www.sports.ru/hockey/1035265548.html

Translation:

It was early for me to go to Rangers. Their team is always in the leaders, it's tough to make the team at this age. Now the scouts are coming, watching me. We'll see what they say. Whether they waiting for me or not. I want to make the team right away.

And who wants to go to AHL? Why go to AHL? Many have gone but I don't want to be like them. If I went I'd probably also be sent to AHL and spent there the entire season.

But I think KHL is stronger than AHL. I understand that it's unrealistic to get a one-way deal but the one we had last year had everything written up well. There was a date that if I don't make NHL before it I have an opportunity to go back to Europe or Russia - wherever I want.

Anyway, there's a dream. In any event, you want to try yourself in the best league in the world, to prove you can play in NHL. It's much more interesting to play with the best rather than just play hockey and make money. You can always go back (to Russia).

Can't blame him. There's far more money to be made in Europe or the KHL for a player of his caliber than there is on a two-way deal paying him less than $100K a year to play in the AHL. Especailly if the Rangers plan to keep him there all year.

Buchnevich gave an interview

http://www.sports.ru/hockey/1035265548.html

Translation:

Guess maybe he doesn't yet get the part about learning the ins and outs, the banging and crashing of North American Pro hockey, and dues paying for that matter?

I can't think of too many players aside from Henrik and Alex Ovechkin, and the amazing Kris Kreider of Boston >> NYR Playoffs fame, who did not have to "go through the process," at least for a bit, here, especially a forward -- but then my memory is probably not that good right now.

If he's not willing to go through it, what message would that send to his teammates? I'd think he would have to be Elite with a Kapital E to bypass our system.

Never say never I guess. Let's put it this way. If he's good enough to make that happen, it should be good for us...but hopefully not an "entitled" prima donna in the process.

Guess maybe he doesn't yet get the part about learning the ins and outs, the banging and crashing of North American Pro hockey, and dues paying for that matter?

I can't think of too many players aside from Henrik and Alex Ovechkin, and the amazing Kris Kreider of Boston >> NYR Playoffs fame, who did not have to "go through the process," at least for a bit, here, especially a forward -- but then my memory is probably not that good right now.

If he's not willing to go through it, what message would that send to his teammates? I'd think he would have to be Elite with a Kapital E to bypass our system.

Never say never I guess. Let's put it this way. If he's good enough to make that happen, it should be good for us...but hopefully not an "entitled" prima donna in the process.

Stepan made the jump right away. Hayes too.

Zuccarello took three seasons split between the NHL, AHL and KHL before he stuck. Lindberg was in the AHL for two full seasons before making the jump. Fast took a season and a month until he was with the big club full time. Those are the only three European players we've developed and have on our roster right now. Buchnevich's talent and skill levels are well above each of those three, IMO, but I think there will be a transition period. Whether that happens on the NYR 3rd line or in Hartford remains to be seen.

Stepan made the jump right away. Hayes too.

Yeah, playing on a North American sized ice rink in a NCAA game that's catered toward team preparation. Buchnevich is going to be in for a bit of a shock if he expects to jump to the NHL and have as much time and space as he normally does. The players are bigger, the ice is smaller. It's bad, IMO, if he thinks he can skip the AHL entirely. That's somebody who wants to be a star, not a teammate.

Archived