• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Select [F] Lias Andersson with 7th Overall Pick

ClearedForContact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McKenzie, who I consider the gold standard for the Draft, had him at 13. So yeah, you're right. It's not a huge reach, but it's still one I'm not all that comfortable making. I'm sure Andersson will be a fine NHL player. This isn't McIlrath, but considering the cost they paid to draft at seven, it's an underwhelming return.

I agree with this, but just about every pick in this draft is some level of a crap shoot as there isn't a generational talent and because of that I'd be more concerned if they reached on a guy guy who was really talented but 3-5 years away due to body type or a severe limitation to his game like a lot of first round talent.

It sounds like Anderson has the size and skill set to fill one of our bottom 6 forward roles right away and because of the type of game he has still develop into a top 6 player while doing so, ala Brad Marchand or Kunitz but hopefully as a responsible center. That's a rarity coming out of the draft and perhaps warranted the bit of the reach since we do have the holes by trading step and losing Lindbergh.

It also allows the flexibility to find a short term aging star as rental which is a lot easier than trading for a flawed stud like Duchene, so in my mind it's not a huge deviation of the overall plan.

I'm not ecstatic we didn't take a risk, but I'm okay with his projection. We need to go for a boom/bust type with #21

I hope this guy eventually develops into a Drury-type versatile player.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

ISS' comparison for him is Alex Steen. I really like that as a basis for his play and potential ceiling.

ISS' comparison for him is Alex Steen. I really like that as a basis for his play and potential ceiling.

I'm about that. "All Situations" types of players are really valuable. And if he's NHL ready next season? We've seen some really good players start in a grinding role as young rookies and breakout with some offense. Both on the Rangers and around the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Im sure with the lack of 1st rounder the last few seasons Gorton and Co. probably thought a safe pick was worth the lack of ceiling here. Its certainly not an exciting pick but it may grow on us.

This is the way we need to look at it. Andersson wasn't going to make it to 21 despite what some here are claiming. He wasn't the pick at 7, but he's a player we'll grow to like. He's really good and can make the team next season. When was the last time the Rangers remotely had someone capable of that?

This is the way we need to look at it. Andersson wasn't going to make it to 21 despite what some here are claiming. He wasn't the pick at 7, but he's a player we'll grow to like. He's really good and can make the team next season. When was the last time the Rangers remotely had someone capable of that?

At forward? Kreider.

If this guy Is good to play next year and can fill Lindbergs shoes then we win. If we sign Smith then we have overhauled this roster with young promising talent and got rid of dead weight while retaining a vet presence.

Im absolutely happy with today. This could be the energy injection this team needed. It's tough saying positive things about an uncertain future when comparing to the definitive definition of what Stepan brought year to year. I'm up for the gamble. I want a cup!!!

Archived