• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Keeping Track of Coaching Availabilities

skunkman

"Obviously we're going to look for highly qualified individuals," Gorton said of the interview process. "Where that person comes from, we'll look anywhere. Whether it's AHL, NHL, wherever we can find the best possible coach moving forward."

While he said any candidate for the position must have coaching experience at some level, the amount of experience is not something Gorton and his staff is putting a number on. New points of view are something Gorton appears to be looking for.

"I think fresh is a good word," Gorton said of possible candidates who aren't household names. "We're looking for someone who can help us get back to an identity we want to get to. We're looking to go through this process and hear some ideas from people that have some thoughts, with the personnel we have and the makeup of our team going forward, that they have some ideas to help us move forward with a young group."

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/gorton-seeking-fresh-start-for-rangers-as-coaching-search-begins/c-297827788

I guess Stevens’ experience is up for interpretation.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did he say head coaching or just coaching? I can't recall.

He said HC, which would be my first concern with Stevens. Second, these guys need to have their agent call the Rangers if they are interested. Stevens quit Boudreau after just 1 year as an asst because of his family in Jersey. I'd wonder if he is too comfortable and rich to want to deal with the rigors of a beastly job in NYC for the next 5 years.

I want a guy that is hungry and ready to live and breathe this job. That this is the mark they are going to make, in their career. Is that Stevens? Is he really that hungry to be an NHL HC and not just coach kids? Is he gung-ho to hire and manage coaches, staff, deal with being the face of the franchise and run an entire organization?

He is not Scotty Bowman that we should be trying to talk him out of retirement. Brooks shoulda made a call to Stevens, but that would be real reporting work.

I still think they are keeping Ruff around because they are likely to hire someone who could benefit from his tutelage. Why else has he not been fired yet? If the new coach doesn't want Ruff then he may be repositioned in the org. It is also possible that if he does not fit with the new coach, he will then look at other NHL jobs. Make a call to Ruff larry. Not that he'll call you back, but do something more than blog.

He said HC, which would be my first concern with Stevens. Second, these guys need to have their agent call the Rangers if they are interested. Stevens quit Boudreau after just 1 year as an asst because of his family in Jersey. I'd wonder if he is too comfortable and rich to want to deal with the rigors of a beastly job in NYC for the next 5 years.

I want a guy that is hungry and ready to live and breathe this job. That this is the mark they are going to make, in their career. Is that Stevens? Is he really that hungry to be an NHL HC and not just coach kids? Is he gung-ho to hire and manage coaches, staff, deal with being the face of the franchise and run an entire organization?

He is not Scotty Bowman that we should be trying to talk him out of retirement. Brooks shoulda made a call to Stevens, but that would be real reporting work.

While he said any candidate for the position must have coaching experience at some level, the amount of experience is not something Gorton and his staff is putting a number on.

He doesn’t say HC, at least not in this article. Also, Stevens was co-coach with Adam Oates after DeBo got fired.

I’m not a Brooks fan, but why does he need to call Stevens’ agent? It’s clear that this is just his opinion on a candidate they should look at. He’s not reporting it as anything else other than that.

He doesn’t say HC, at least not in this article. Also, Stevens was co-coach with Adam Oates after DeBo got fired.

I’m not a Brooks fan, but why does he need to call Stevens’ agent? It’s clear that this is just his opinion on a candidate they should look at. He’s not reporting it as anything else other than that.

If my memory is not total mush, he said it in one of the interviews/pressers I heard, I was not referring to the article.

I did not say Brooks should call Steven's agent. I said he should call Stevens. That is normal reporting, especially given that he left his last job after 1 year, for family. For those who had some communications/journalism education (hi SU) or training, that is standard operating procedure to make this story worth running. An editor would insist on such, at a reputable newspaper or mag, but this is the Post. Otherwise it is just a blog with no research or leg work.

As for the agent... Both the Knicks and Rangers have well-publicized, high profile HC vacancies. Mgmt expects agents of candidates interested to place a call to the team to express interest. As a fan and reader/consumer of media, I expect reporters to report when they find out someone is interested or if someone is coming in for an interview. That is news. Brooks can call Stevens and ask "Does your representive intend to call the Rangers about the opening"? Or just call and ask Scott if he is interested in a career as a HC at this time?

Get where I'm coming from? Phil, Mike, you, me... we write blogs and ideas here and elsewhere. Brooks is a paid writer and beat reporter, he needs to do more than just throw a name out and give a brief explanation why he'd be good. Especially since he is local and has been out of coaching for the year.

If my memory is not total mush, he said it in one of the interviews/pressers I heard, I was not referring to the article.

I did not say Brooks should call Steven's agent. I said he should call Stevens. That is normal reporting, especially given that he left his last job after 1 year, for family. For those who had some communications/journalism education (hi SU) or training, that is standard operating procedure to make this story worth running. An editor would insist on such, at a reputable newspaper or mag, but this is the Post. Otherwise it is just a blog with no research or leg work.

As for the agent... Both the Knicks and Rangers have well-publicized, high profile HC vacancies. Mgmt expects agents of candidates interested to place a call to the team to express interest. As a fan and reader/consumer of media, I expect reporters to report when they find out someone is interested or if someone is coming in for an interview. That is news. Brooks can call Stevens and ask "Does your representive intend to call the Rangers about the opening"? Or just call and ask Scott if he is interested in a career as a HC at this time?

Get where I'm coming from? Phil, Mike, you, me... we write blogs and ideas here and elsewhere. Brooks is a paid writer and beat reporter, he needs to do more than just throw a name out and give a brief explanation why he'd be good. Especially since he is local and has been out of coaching for the year.

I don’t write blogs or ideas. That’s not the way I post, nor is it the way a lot of others post.

St. Louis ?

Marty. Seems to me he could be a killer special teams coach given his NHL performance there. Plus, he fits the Type A criteria.

On that note, I'd even consider another Oates add. But that's a lot of ego for a coach to contain. Dunno if Keefe has what it takes there or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Marty. Seems to me he could be a killer special teams coach given his NHL performance there. Plus, he fits the Type A criteria.

On that note, I'd even consider another Oates add. But that's a lot of ego for a coach to contain. Dunno if Keefe has what it takes there or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah, I know who you meant. I was answering your question with a question, like maybe Marty says no.

I don’t write blogs or ideas. That’s not the way I post, nor is it the way a lot of others post.

Mike is was not trying to describe what you do here, that was not the point and I'm sorry you see that as the point. I would not even begin to try and qualify or quantify your role here, it is immaterial to what we are discussing anyway. Take yourself and me out of this, if that helps.

The point is that Brooks needs to be more than just a guy on a forum throwing out a name and why he might be a good HC. As a reporter he is expected to do a little extra research on the actual reality of the story and do some leg work and make a few calls. I was very specific about this. A simple phone call to Scott or his reps asking if he had any interest in being a HC next year, might be met with.... Nah, I am taking the next couple of years to help my youngest kid through High School and spend time with family.

That kind of response would tell Brooks that maybe he should not write this piece. A different response would add credibility to the story and idea.

This is true because for a lot of star players the game came naturally to them. It’s hard to then turn around and tell somebody to do something if you don’t know why or how it’s done.

Exactly. Wayne Gretzky can’t coach guys to be Wayne Gretzky. He can’t think the game for them, or teach them how to think the game. That’s on the player himself.

Bob Gainey? Larry Robinson? Jacques Lemaire? So should we find out if Ken Dryden, Steve Shutt and Guy Lafleur are interested?

Bob Gainey was not a good NHL coach.

Larry Robinson was not a good NHL coach in spite of winning a cup. He coached like 10 games or some shit before the playoffs started.

Lemaire? Absolutely. Probably the best to do both. HOF on both ends.

Well he was living in Minnesota and his family in NJ...

good point, I'll still bet it doesn't happen. He can roll into a studio on a part time basis and not deal with being away from home. He'd probably shit his pants trying to teach the D on this roster to play a more physical game. I would double down on him not even considering a assistant role no matter where it is.

There was a roundtable discussion on the NHL network where all of the prognosticators were asked which non-playoff team is likely to turn things around the quickest. Stevens was the only one who said the Rangers and was optimistic about their roster and prospects. Play for the job? It certainly wouldn't have helped him get the job if he said they're a bunch of dogs and likely to remain so.

Archived