• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Advice Please - First Trip to The Garden

Scottish_Ranger

Warm ups are usually a half hour or so before the game so I always like to get there 45 mins before hand or so. Not sure where your seats are but if it?s in the lower half of the bowl you can usually sneak down near the boards to watch them skate around. If your tix are in the upper bowl I?m not sure they let you do that anymore?

Beers at the garden are like $14 for the regular size and $18 for the large if I remember correctly. The liquor drinks are all watered down garbage so your best bet is to have a few drinks before you go and then get one or two to keep your buzz going. They pat you down upon entry so don?t bring anything you?ll have to toss or don?t want to put away. If you?re gonna buy merch the nhl store or Cosby?s which is a block away are a better bet than buying at the garden.

Mustang Harry?s is great as is pig and whistle which someone else mentioned.

Any tourist spot you go to will take time to visit as there Are always lines so plan accordingly. World trade is worth visiting. Grand central is cool to pass through. I?d take a walk through Central Park. I hate Times Square as a New Yorker but most people will wanna see it at least once so go at night. Statue of Liberty takes forever to see but is cool as well. I wouldn?t go into the Empire State- walking by is enough in my opinion. If you?re looking for free stuff to do the Masonic lodge on 23rd and 6th does free tours and is kinda cool if you?re into that. My recommendation is to walk around the city as much as possible especially downtown near the village, flat iron, soho, west village and below and you?ll see a lot.

Not sure if you or your wife are into architecture at all but I can make some recommendations on what to see if your interested.

It sounds like you?re staying in Brooklyn which is a nice visit as well. Check out Williamsburg - lots of bars and restaurants and art gallery?s. Be aware there are a ton of hipsters.

As far as museums go the Guggenheim is awesome for art. As is the metropolitan and moma (my favorite). Natural history is the best over all.

As for pizza recommendation- joes in Greenwich is pretty damn good. Roberta?s in bushwick (Brooklyn) is good. If it looks like a mom and pop place it?s probably good. I would absolutely stay away from chain places likes dominos or sbarros. For breakfast get yourself a coffee and nyc bagel (google good bagel places near your hotel).

If youre lost and need to stop or just wanna observe there?s nothing wrong with that just don?t block the side walk- step to the side. Yes people can be rude but remember they?re trying to get to work or home or wherever and you?re just standing there [emoji23] other than that the people are usually pretty nice - you can almost always ask people for directions just don?t initiate with the crazies, especially on the subway.

Google events happening during the period you?re here.. those are almost always free or cheap and fun.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Warm ups are usually a half hour or so before the game so I always like to get there 45 mins before hand or so. Not sure where your seats are but if it’s in the lower half of the bowl you can usually sneak down near the boards to watch them skate around. If your tix are in the upper bowl I’m not sure they let you do that anymore?

Beers at the garden are like $14 for the regular size and $18 for the large if I remember correctly. The liquor drinks are all watered down garbage so your best bet is to have a few drinks before you go and then get one or two to keep your buzz going. They pat you down upon entry so don’t bring anything you’ll have to toss or don’t want to put away. If you’re gonna buy merch the nhl store or Cosby’s which is a block away are a better bet than buying at the garden.

Mustang Harry’s is great as is pig and whistle which someone else mentioned.

Any tourist spot you go to will take time to visit as there Are always lines so plan accordingly. World trade is worth visiting. Grand central is cool to pass through. I’d take a walk through Central Park. I hate Times Square as a New Yorker but most people will wanna see it at least once so go at night. Statue of Liberty takes forever to see but is cool as well. I wouldn’t go into the Empire State- walking by is enough in my opinion. If you’re looking for free stuff to do the Masonic lodge on 23rd and 6th does free tours and is kinda cool if you’re into that. My recommendation is to walk around the city as much as possible especially downtown near the village, flat iron, soho, west village and below and you’ll see a lot.

Not sure if you or your wife are into architecture at all but I can make some recommendations on what to see if your interested.

It sounds like you’re staying in Brooklyn which is a nice visit as well. Check out Williamsburg - lots of bars and restaurants and art gallery’s. Be aware there are a ton of hipsters.

As far as museums go the Guggenheim is awesome for art. As is the metropolitan and moma (my favorite). Natural history is the best over all.

As for pizza recommendation- joes in Greenwich is pretty damn good. Roberta’s in bushwick (Brooklyn) is good. If it looks like a mom and pop place it’s probably good. I would absolutely stay away from chain places likes dominos or sbarros. For breakfast get yourself a coffee and nyc bagel (google good bagel places near your hotel).

If youre lost and need to stop or just wanna observe there’s nothing wrong with that just don’t block the side walk- step to the side. Yes people can be rude but remember they’re trying to get to work or home or wherever and you’re just standing there [emoji23] other than that the people are usually pretty nice - you can almost always ask people for directions just don’t initiate with the crazies, especially on the subway.

Google events happening during the period you’re here.. those are almost always free or cheap and fun.

Enjoy!

That's an amazing reply and you did it on your iPhone??? That's above and beyond mate, thank you.

you can almost always ask people for directions just don’t initiate with the crazies, especially on the subway. I think that's pretty much universal advice for every subway system in the world ha ha.

My wife is in to architecture so we'll be going to the Empire State but not inside.She said something about the Rockerfella building. And yes you are correct, pizza over here is pretty much crap, well apart from our homemade ones.

We're coming up with an plan for the week so will have an action packed time. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I'll need to have a google hunt over the places you mentioned.

All the best

S_R

?. shitty nyc pizza is still better than most pizza outside of the city so he should still be good either way lol

EXACTLY....shitty nyc pizza is still better than ANY pizza outside of the city!!!

Moved to Southern California in '94. It was YEARS before I could FIND a slice. All the pizza joints sold whole pizza's only. And they weren't "pies" either. When I asked for a small pie they said we only sell pizza..... Finally found a place called New York Upper Crust. It's 7-8 on a NY scale.

Funny story...worked with a guy who was born in Mexico, grew up in LA. Said to me "Our boss is sending me to NYC for a seminar. You're always raving about NY pizza and how CA pizza SUCKS. I want to try the best. Where should I go?" I told him," You were born in Mex, grew up in LA EVERYWHERE you go in NY the pizza will be great". Sure enough when he got back, "YOU WERE RIGHT!!! Everywhere I went the pizza was GREAT!!!! And there were places I didn't even have to go in!!! I got two slices and coke right through the window!!!!"

BTW, I have a Glasgow Rangers T shirt!

High line is great- forgot to mention that.

As far as architecture goes rockerfeller is fine but I?d go see the Woolworth building, 8 spruce street, 520 w 28th street, 56 Leonard street, grand central, flatiron building, world trade. Walking around Wall Street and doing the high line should give you a great view of a number of these. Walking around in general you?ll see a lot of great architecture.

EXACTLY....shitty nyc pizza is still better than ANY pizza outside of the city!!!

Moved to Southern California in '94. It was YEARS before I could FIND a slice. All the pizza joints sold whole pizza's only. And they weren't "pies" either. When I asked for a small pie they said we only sell pizza..... Finally found a place called New York Upper Crust. It's 7-8 on a NY scale.

Funny story...worked with a guy who was born in Mexico, grew up in LA. Said to me "Our boss is sending me to NYC for a seminar. You're always raving about NY pizza and how CA pizza SUCKS. I want to try the best. Where should I go?" I told him," You were born in Mex, grew up in LA EVERYWHERE you go in NY the pizza will be great". Sure enough when he got back, "YOU WERE RIGHT!!! Everywhere I went the pizza was GREAT!!!! And there were places I didn't even have to go in!!! I got two slices and coke right through the window!!!!"

BTW, I have a Glasgow Rangers T shirt!

Forgive my ignorance here but what's the difference between a non NYC pizza and a pie?? You can't get slices of pizza here either, it's the whole thing or nothing.

I have a few Rangers FC tops also ;) and a few NYR jersey's. My favorite is probably the Winter Classic one from last season, liked the retro look of it.

Rose's Pizza how great is their selection and can't beat the prices.

Their pizza has gone to shit and I like the little store next to it for beer selection, when I'm working in Manhattan. Roses used to be the better pizza place down there, because there used to be that other shithole where they are/were building shakeshack now. Now it's just Roses and I think it's bad now. I either get instant shits or crazy heartburn after eating there.

Also, be aware that the homeless are everywhere now days. You may encounter homeless tents in bathroom stalls in Penn station (directly under MSG), or in stores. Sometimes they go to the bathroom in public or in the middle of stores or Subway cars.. (If you notice a car is completely empty, when all the others are full, be prepared for an unpleasant surprise. Do not engage them anywhere.

Also it's a big city. Don't forget that. There's good parts and bad parts. Someone mentioned Bushwick earlier. I'd uhhh stay away from Bushwick..

Also, be aware that the homeless are everywhere now days. You may encounter homeless tents in bathroom stalls in Penn station (directly under MSG), or in stores. Sometimes they go to the bathroom in public or in the middle of stores or Subway cars.. (If you notice a car is completely empty, when all the others are full, be prepared for an unpleasant surprise. Do not engage them anywhere.

Also it's a big city. Don't forget that. There's good parts and bad parts. Someone mentioned Bushwick earlier. I'd uhhh stay away from Bushwick..

I appreciate your honesty and advice, thank you

True, and I recommend looking up a good place.

But in my experience, shitty nyc pizza is still better than most pizza outside of the city so he should still be good either way lol

I don't know, Ive had some shitty pizza in NYC, and I wouldn't tell anyone to eat there. It was so bad that the taste was in my mouth the rest of the night and I couldn't get rid of it. You don't want someone going to a shitty spot and thinking that all NYC pizza is like that, and then, say going to another state and having a better slice than here.

I agree, especially in Manhattan there are a lot of homeless beggars, and they are on a lot of subways. Don't make eye contact with them on the subway. Also, if anyone tries handing you a CD of their music, don't take it, just keep walking, and don't take pictures with the characters near Times Square, they want money. Also, if you see a puddle on the sidewalk, it might not be water, so step around it.

Bushwick is hipsterville now dude

I don't know, Ive had some shitty pizza in NYC, and I wouldn't tell anyone to eat there. It was so bad that the taste was in my mouth the rest of the night and I couldn't get rid of it. You don't want someone going to a shitty spot and thinking that all NYC pizza is like that, and then, say going to another state and having a better slice than here.

I?m not saying every pizza spot in nyc is amazing and maybe I?ve just been lucky but I?ve never had anything close to what you?ve experienced happen to me.

You can always ask at your hotel what the best pizza shop in the area is. Google searching will give you plenty of results as well and they will all be good.

I’m not saying every pizza spot in nyc is amazing and maybe I’ve just been lucky but I’ve never had anything close to what you’ve experienced happen to me.

You can always ask at your hotel what the best pizza shop in the area is. Google searching will give you plenty of results as well and they will all be good.

I use Yelp a lot when Im in areas that I don't know too much about as well.

Is it really? I know Williamsburg is. But Bushwick was pretty hood the last time I was there. That was 15 years ago though.

Yea dude... that entire area is slowly changing. It?s still not what I would call a ?great area? but tons of bars, restaurants, bike shops and white people from Iowa who can?t afford to move to Williamsburg.

Very few areas in Brooklyn you wouldn?t wanna live in these days.

Yea dude... that entire area is slowly changing. It’s still not what I would call a “great area” but tons of bars, restaurants, bike shops and white people from Iowa who can’t afford to move to Williamsburg.

Very few areas in Brooklyn you wouldn’t wanna live in these days.

and once the hipsters cant afford Bushwick which will be pretty soon, they're going to venture to Ridgewood.

Archived