• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Smith's Road to Redemption Begins Now

Phil

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Smith can play a tough, but smart, D it would be a plus and a good example on this team which aside from Kreider and Zuccarello, leans a lttle too far toward milquetoastery for my liking. Did I miss anybody?

Disney or not Disney, I'd be happy if he can "re-surge" to the player we thought we signed. We could use a bridge to the future on D while some of the Defensive-oriented draft picks are playing in college/minors/Sweden, wherever.

BTW ... When's Yegor Rykov's Broadway debut "due," again? I get the sense he might be a welcome addition of toughness and Defensive capability ... but I got the sense we had to wait on him, too.

Yeah, 2 years ago. Eakin just about took Hank's head off with no retaliation. Fucking embarrassing.

Objectively, not everything was the coach's fault, but this can be blamed on AV. This incident happened at a time when he was emphasizing and taking away ice time for any retaliation penalties. He was also admonishing the younger players for any penalties of aggression or enthusiastic youthful mistakes. A malaise of self-questioning (and lack or aggression/anticipation) had almost creeped into the team during that time. Guys had been trained to put their head down and skate away if the ref called a penalty. AV did not differentiate between the rare (but necessary) retaliation penalty, from the penalties you want to avoid.

He created a culture of hesitancy, resulting in less instinctive play from guys like Kreider, Miller, Vesey and Skjei (forced to be the good example). The opposite of a coach like Gallant, who encourages risk taking and believes players should not be admonished for a mistakes and errors of aggression, of all types. If you want to make plays, mistakes are going to happen.

Back to Eakin. The team needs to have some principles, particularly regarding having a teammates back. AV wanted the power play, no matter what! There is reason to be optimistic coach Quinn will communicate the concept better and not stifle the kids as much.

Objectively, not everything was the coach's fault, but this can be blamed on AV. This incident happened at a time when he was emphasizing and taking away ice time for any retaliation penalties. He was also admonishing the younger players for any penalties of aggression or enthusiastic youthful mistakes. A malaise of self-questioning (and lack or aggression/anticipation) had almost creeped into the team during that time. Guys had been trained to put their head down and skate away if the ref called a penalty. AV did not differentiate between the rare (but necessary) retaliation penalty, from the penalties you want to avoid.

He created a culture of hesitancy, resulting in less instinctive play from guys like Kreider, Miller, Vesey and Skjei (forced to be the good example). The opposite of a coach like Gallant, who encourages risk taking and believes players should not be admonished for a mistakes and errors of aggression, of all types. If you want to make plays, mistakes are going to happen.

Back to Eakin. The team needs to have some principles, particularly regarding having a teammates back. AV wanted the power play, no matter what! There is reason to be optimistic coach Quinn will communicate the concept better and not stifle the kids as much.

Again imo if Gorton didn't agree with pinning the guy down in Hartford for the year he wouldn't of been there all season. If Gorton didn't agree and it still happened than shame on Gorton for not stepping in.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

None of this is true.

AV got guys to stop taking dumb penalties. Can you not recall the constant carousel of miller, Kreider rt al taking dumb penalties game after game? Or Smith taking dumb penalties and picking horrible times to fight? That’s just fundamentals

You know what else is a fundamental part of the game? Jumping someone after they hit your goalie. There is almost zero chance that what a coach says would prevent a guy from retaliating in that scenario would prevent one from sticking up for his goalie. No, it’s just that we had a bunch of pussies up and down the lineup, as they played AVs style. Plus, they had no on-ice/lockerroom leadership or team camaraderie.

None of this is true.

AV got guys to stop taking dumb penalties. Can you not recall the constant carousel of miller, Kreider rt al taking dumb penalties game after game? Or Smith taking dumb penalties and picking horrible times to fight? That’s just fundamentals

You know what else is a fundamental part of the game? Jumping someone after they hit your goalie. There is almost zero chance that what a coach says would prevent a guy from retaliating in that scenario would prevent one from sticking up for his goalie. No, it’s just that we had a bunch of pussies up and down the lineup, as they played AVs style. Plus, they had no on-ice/lockerroom leadership or team camaraderie.

I don't recall these dumb penalties. I recall aggressive play that would teeter on legal as far as contact with oppositions goalies... Maybe some boarding or hits from behind. But every player who plays that way is going to take those penalties.

There's no doubt in my mind that AV neutered this team. Much like Guac suggested, AV didn't seem to care what type of penalty a player would take. They were all the same. Especially if it was a young player.

I normally don't agree much with Giac, but I tend to agree with his take on this issue. I'm excited to see what the remaining players play like under this new coach. I think players games are going to change as well as their attitudes.

Dude you CANT play that way in the nhl. Skating into goalies, boarding, hits from behind... that’s not aggression, that’s stupidity! And it gets you a reputation that’s bad for your team.

Odd how so many still have a career for playing that way. I'll take 12 Wade Simmons please.

You can keep Jesper Fast and all the nice guys who don't play with any edge.

Odd how so many still have a career for playing that way. I'll take 12 Wade Simmons please.

You can keep Jesper Fast and all the nice guys who don't play with any edge.

Sure, but I won’t blame AV because Jesper Fast isn’t, and doesnt play like, Simmonds.

I don't think it's accurate to say Simmonds has built his career on "skating into goalies, boarding and hits from behind", although he definitely plays with an edge.

I also think it's de rigeur to turn our noses up at words like "grit", "physical play", "playing tough" etc and talk as if it belongs to the past. If anything, the last playoffs showed that playing with a physical edge and getting in the oppositions faces is still very much an important part of the game.

Note that this does not = fighting.

I don't think it's about rage hits, and it's not even about the regular season here. The point is when we are a playoff team again....in a few years, I would like to see the team have an aggressive edge, and a "take no shit" attitude toward teams that wanna play "that" way. I'm not saying to always be the aggressor, but in the playoffs, you rarely if ever see a team win with a bunch of figure skaters out there.

Again, I know the game has changed a bit in the way it's now "presented", but in the playoffs I think it's best to have a tougher team in order to withstand a 7 gamer with an arch rival. Those hits don't tickle after 3 or 4 games anymore.

12 Wayne Simmonds = 0 Stanley Cups.

People really need to get their own rage in check. If you want to see senseless violence, MMA is there for ya.

How is what I said in any way related to "senseless violence" ffs. :rofl:

I'm also struggling with the relevance of how many cups Simmonds have won. Did his team fail to win the cup each year because of the way he plays?

I'm also struggling with the relevance of how many cups Simmonds have won. Did his team fail to win the cup each year because of the way he plays?

I didn't quote you, dude.

I don't think it's accurate to say Simmonds has built his career on "skating into goalies, boarding and hits from behind", although he definitely plays with an edge.

I also think it's de rigeur to turn our noses up at words like "grit", "physical play", "playing tough" etc and talk as if it belongs to the past. If anything, the last playoffs showed that playing with a physical edge and getting in the oppositions faces is still very much an important part of the game.

Note that this does not = fighting.

100%. Caps physical play was a huge factor in shutting down Tampa in games 6-7. The Lightning played scared, and they couldn't get any offensive momentum. Whoever told the Caps to come out banging hard to set the tone deserves a raise.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

100%. Caps physical play was a huge factor in shutting down Tampa in games 6-7. The Lightning played scared, and they couldn't get any offensive momentum. Whoever told the Caps to come out banging hard to set the tone deserves a raise.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

agreed. Ovi was a man on a mission in game 6

He got a raise, in Long Island

Sure, but I won’t blame AV because Jesper Fast isn’t, and doesnt play like, Simmonds.

AV would turn Simmons into Fast is the point. Not the opposite.

IMO playing with that edge, COMES with those penalties you call stupidity. It's going to happen.

What years did the Flyers HAVE 12 Simmons? I must have missed those years the Simmons clones couldn't win a cup.

Archived