• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

That's, strange... He has a NMC and no way he waives for Buffalo. 3-team trade?

If they could get someone with a NMC to waive I’d prefer it be Trouba. I really like him too but that contract is awful and we have tons of D depth in the pipeline. But yeah this is just a really dumb thing to tweet.

If they could get someone with a NMC to waive I’d prefer it be Trouba. I really like him too but that contract is awful and we have tons of D depth in the pipeline. But yeah this is just a really dumb thing to tweet.

I'm not positive, Tony but I think Trouba's NMC becomes a Modified NMC after the '24 season. By then I think Schneider and Robertson will be ready to play his role, and possibly have a little experience as well. Both of them could possibly get a little more acclimated to his role by playing with him for a few seasons as well, so I can dig a couple more seasons with Trouba.

I also am curious to see what Trouba plays like with Gallant at the helm. I keep thinking there's a lot of untapped aggression in him that can be unleashed.

I believe Trouba is going to have a sensational season this year!

That's, strange... He has a NMC and no way he waives for Buffalo. 3-team trade?

Carp has been a rough read since the front office changes. Whatever connections he had seem to be gone.

With that said, I could absolutely see Zib out to a team like Vegas or Minnesota (to play with Zucc?), and for a number of reasons.The biggest one being that moving Zib out means hardly any young assets out that the Rangers are presumably reluctant to move. I would have to assume it'd be a pretty even swap of Zibanejad for Eichel on their end. Perhaps a guy like Zac Jones and a pick as well.

I'm not positive, Tony but I think Trouba's NMC becomes a Modified NMC after the '24 season. By then I think Schneider and Robertson will be ready to play his role, and possibly have a little experience as well. Both of them could possibly get a little more acclimated to his role by playing with him for a few seasons as well, so I can dig a couple more seasons with Trouba.

I also am curious to see what Trouba plays like with Gallant at the helm. I keep thinking there's a lot of untapped aggression in him that can be unleashed.

Pour me a glass of whatever you’re having

Carp has been a rough read since the front office changes. Whatever connections he had seem to be gone.

With that said, I could absolutely see Zib out to a team like Vegas or Minnesota (to play with Zucc?), and for a number of reasons.The biggest one being that moving Zib out means hardly any young assets out that the Rangers are presumably reluctant to move. I would have to assume it'd be a pretty even swap of Zibanejad for Eichel on their end. Perhaps a guy like Zac Jones and a pick as well.

Carp has always been terrible. He's just become even worse after the change in the front office.

A 3-way deal like you describe certainly suits the Rangers. It becomes a question of whether you prefer the younger player on a shorter deal, or to re-up Zib with the health and potential tailing off issues that comes with it. I'm torn tbh. But if Eichel is healthy it's not crazy.

Carp has always been terrible. He's just become even worse after the change in the front office.

A 3-way deal like you describe certainly suits the Rangers. It becomes a question of whether you prefer the younger player on a shorter deal, or to re-up Zib with the health and potential tailing off issues that comes with it. I'm torn tbh. But if Eichel is healthy it's not crazy.

If Eichel's healthy, you pick Eichel. No question. Love Mika but that next contract is going to be an albatross basically as soon as it's signed.

If Eichel's healthy, you pick Eichel. No question. Love Mika but that next contract is going to be an albatross basically as soon as it's signed.

Eh. Maybe. If he signs for 8/70, it's probably just fine considering that the cap will have eaten a good deal of the overhead by year 6 (approximate 2027-28 cap is ~92M?), which is where that might get really tough - but at that ticket, he's moveable. If he signs for 5/50 - probably just fine too - he'd be 34 at expiration and that's exactly where you'd want him to start thinking walk and it's hard to consider a 5 year deal, even at that tag, an albatross if you're getting around that same point-per-game production rate the non-COVID Mika is capable of.

It's where you get into something like 7/80, when that number starts looking like Matthews, Marner, Panarin and less like Kopitar/Toews/Kane that you're in a little bit more hot water.

Reading and hearing more about the disk replacement surgery, I think I'd take my chances with Eichel. I don't think it should cost more, or much more, than Zibanejad though. I don't think there's any question Zibanejad has more immediate value for next season than Eichel, but long term I think it tilts Eichel's way.

Not really, but if it's an eight-year deal, like most eight-year deals, you'll want out by the time the players is around 34-36.

I reckon you’re onto something, I’m just not sure he’ll ever quite live up to that AAV. I am very excited to see him under Gallant though. That goes for a lot of players.

I reckon you’re onto something, I’m just not sure he’ll ever quite live up to that AAV. I am very excited to see him under Gallant though. That goes for a lot of players.

You're probably right about that, but his deal was signed before the flat cap, and I think we did go a little on the overpayment by about $2 million. I'd really love to see Trouba make us eat our words this year. The guy has the size, speed, and ability to be a Norris candidate....I hope we're gonna see it this season.