• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

Not anymore. I don't know how y'all have your pages set, but I've got 73 pages of Eichel. To say it's been talked to death would be an understatement.

It’s almost painful at this point honestly. Not even worth the breath to talk about at this point until there’s actually something worth talking about comes to light or something meaningful happens.

In all honesty, and this has nothing at all to do with the Rangers, but it is very sad to see the way this has all unfolded. Eichel doesn’t seem like a bad kid at all, and to have him miss some time during the prime of his career that he maybe shouldn’t have been missing at all, kind of sucks. I just hope this whole messy situation gets settled soon so he and the Sabres and everyone else can just move on.

I don't believe the Sabres will relent on their ask, and I don't believe any team will give them what they want. I don't believe Eichel intends to play for the Sabres again.

It's the NHL equivalent of a Mexican Standoff.

I mean if he needs a surgery, either one, and he doesn't get one of them, he'll be medically unfit to play no?

I guess that would mean he'd go on IR? Unclear how the salary works though. Does insurance cover Eichel's salary if he goes on IR? Why would insurance cover the salary if there's a treatment (fusion or disk replacement) available that both parties are rejecting? It seems from a contractual standpoint, the Sabres get to make the call on surgery option, so if Eichel is rejecting it, does that mean he simply won't get paid if he doesn't play or get the fusion? I don't think we have seen a situation quite like this before.

I mean if he needs a surgery, either one, and he doesn't get one of them, he'll be medically unfit to play no?

I guess that would mean he'd go on IR? Unclear how the salary works though. Does insurance cover Eichel's salary if he goes on IR? Why would insurance cover the salary if there's a treatment (fusion or disk replacement) available that both parties are rejecting? It seems from a contractual standpoint, the Sabres get to make the call on surgery option, so if Eichel is rejecting it, does that mean he simply won't get paid if he doesn't play or get the fusion? I don't think we have seen a situation quite like this before.

No clue. I'd guess that's right, though he's skating. He may be deemed clear by an insurer.

Regardless, this gets worse as time goes on. Even if Eichel is not medically cleared, placed on IR, and insured, they're in a standoff over what that means. Eichel thinks that means his surgery, Sabres don't, insurer won't be thrilled and may relent their coverage.

What good does it do the Sabres if it gets there? Is that an NHLPA grievance, a mutual termination, a not-so-mutual termination? Heck, if this drags on another year, Eichel's on a full no move - that may play a role at some point.

I think you're right - we've really never seen a situation like this before.

buffalo is really shitting the bed here. i don't think there is a player in the league who would willingly go there given the way they are treating one of the best players in the nhl.

I'm playing with a little bit of devils advocacy here, but...are they?

He's under contract. The rules say their doctors get to decide best course of action. His ability to get traded lies solely with Buffalo, his contract termination lies solely with Buffalo, his earnings are tied entirely to showing up on the ice...for Buffalo. Buffalo is giving us all a crash course in how to devalue a prime asset, but if they want the guy to play for them, they hold all the cards. At the end of the day, Eichel has three cards - no-showing the team, his upcoming NMC, his health. Buffalo has the rest.

They're calling his bluff...alo. They're making an (at least reasonably informed) assumption that Eichel won't push to a point where he risks his contract and will eventually capitulate.

Honestly, the biggest lesson here is why some of the CBA rules are dumb. 7+ year contracts are too long, 7+ years of full team control is extremely heavyhanded for players.

Buffalo is still treating this as if he is 100% healthy on an affordable contract. I’m not saying a healthy Eichel isn’t worth his contract. When healthy, you’re talking about a 24 year old superstar who would be this teams No. 1 center for the next decade, and with Panarin, would likely be a 40-50 goal scorer. But, not a lot of teams can afford to deal their entire prospect pool and take on that type of cap. And that’s with him being healthy. This whole neck thing just throws everything out of wack.

Honestly, the biggest lesson here is why some of the CBA rules are dumb. 7+ year contracts are too long, 7+ years of full team control is extremely heavyhanded for players.

If it was up to me, there would be an NFL style salary structure. No more "guaranteed contracts" only "guaranteed MONEY".

I'm sure Eichel was sold a bill of goods from Brinson that gave him a new approach to this saga. What that is; your guess is as good as mine.

My buddys disc replacement has allowed him to go back to jiu jitsu where a fusion wouldve killed that for him forever. Buffalo needs to come into this decade with the new innovative technology. There is more evidence for disc replacement than there is for COVID vaccines.

I just don’t get Buffalos stance here. They’re a dead franchise without him or without the assets he would bring back. Why not let him have the surgery he wants, let him heal and then either find out for sure he wants out (I mean we all know he does) or at the very least then you know he’s healthy and can ask for what you want from teams.