• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

I can't see them trading him right now with all the uncertainty with the injury. And during the season it's kinda rare you see a player traded with a cap hit that big. I mean, it can happen, but it can be difficult.

I'd like to see how our season plays out with Zibby and Strome before we go any further on this one.

Also like to see Drury take the "Lou" method on this by kicking the can down the road, and waiting a while to see how things play out.

I can't see them trading him right now with all the uncertainty with the injury. And during the season it's kinda rare you see a player traded with a cap hit that big. I mean, it can happen, but it can be difficult.

I'd like to see how our season plays out with Zibby and Strome before we go any further on this one.

Also like to see Drury take the "Lou" method on this by kicking the can down the road, and waiting a while to see how things play out.

That’s all true. The funny thing though Ozzy is that as much as you can’t see that happening, it’s hard to see them letting him back there when he has asked out as something that happens either.

I know it’s Buffalo and they’re such a mismanaged and dysfunctional organization that if it’s going to happen anywhere, that’s the place for it to happen. But still, a guy asks out, no matter who, if you can’t patch it up very quickly, you move him.

For them not to, big mistake.

That’s all true. The funny thing though Ozzy is that as much as you can’t see that happening, it’s hard to see them letting him back there when he has asked out as something that happens either.

I know it’s Buffalo and they’re such a mismanaged and dysfunctional organization that if it’s going to happen anywhere, that’s the place for it to happen. But still, a guy asks out, no matter who, if you can’t patch it up very quickly, you move him.

For them not to, big mistake.

Oh I definitely think he's outta there no matter what, 7. There's too much bad blood there for any type of reconciliation, you're right!! Stranger things have happened but I think he's hitting the dusty trail up there! I believe that as this thing drags on, Eichel is going to lose value to them even more. He has a NMC that kicks in after this season, and I'd bet he'd play hardball with them on that, if it gets that far.

That injury just concerns me though....and I know I don't know any of the medical details, but from reading the posts and articles, it's like the crossing gates are down and the lights are blinking red.

They're in a tough spot with this, Buffalo....I don't envy Kevyn Adams' spot he's in. He's damned one way or the other.

Kevyn Adams put himself in this place. This could've been done months ago. He is going to lose more and more, the longer he waits. His endgame looks like the end of his tenure in Buffalo. This is possibly the worst played hand in recent history regarding a superstar.

Kevyn Adams put himself in this place. This could've been done months ago. He is going to lose more and more, the longer he waits. His endgame looks like the end of his tenure in Buffalo. This is possibly the worst played hand in recent history regarding a superstar.

probably his goal

Congratulations to this thread for getting into the classic Rick Nash thread territory. Although this one probably still doesn't match up to it, I think it still belongs in that company.

I think this is worse by miles at this point. Nash wanting out "started" in February of 2012 and by July, he was a Ranger. Eichel wanting out dates back to at least last summer.

Adams was in a damned if didn't and damned if he did situation. If he accepted one of the offers that was on the table a month or two ago, even if it was the best he was going to get, he would have been pilloried in Buffalo, especially after it turned out to be a couple of prospects and late first round picks, none of whom turned out to be major players. Who knows if he was in control on the surgery issue or if it was really above his head. Hey, I wouldn't hire Adams as my GM or nominate him for an award, but jus sayin'...

I get what you're saying but it isnt like the deals offered are going to get better in fact they most assuredly will get worse so it is still played terribly on his end. Shouldve taken the best deal available and moved on. Not that Buffalo would be, could be or should be a juggernaut this year but how does this team even operate under the elephant that is the drama surrounding Eichel. He won't be playing, I get that but still.

Move the F on. The sooner the better for your organization and your name.

• The Sabres had an “introductory meeting” with Jack Eichel’s new representatives. Both sides are trying to keep things very quiet, but, as of yet, word is there’s no resolution. As with many of our own responsibilities, several NHL situations picked up steam after Labour Day. I do believe Buffalo re-engaged with interested teams to see where everyone stands. We will see where things go.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sabres-re-engage-interested-teams-meeting-eichels-representatives/

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

". I do believe Buffalo re-engaged with interested teams to see where everyone stands. "

The season is a month away, lol. Where do they think everyone stands? I doubt anyone wants to trade for him now. Maybe after the season, at an even further reduced price...or when he is back healthy after surgery.

18 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

". I do believe Buffalo re-engaged with interested teams to see where everyone stands. "

The season is a month away, lol. Where do they think everyone stands? I doubt anyone wants to trade for him now. Maybe after the season, at an even further reduced price...or when he is back healthy after surgery.

Complete shit show. I would love to know what offers they got prior to all of this. I know I sound like a broken record, but I hope the Rangers moved on.

9 hours ago, rmc51 said:

His options seem to either settle on a procedure and come back playing for Buffalo, hoping for a trade at deadline or draft...

OR...

Be traded to a team who can afford not to have him for most of the season, which would mean another losing team, which would mean he would keep whining about losing.

I don't think I've ever seen a situation like this in sports. I'm still amazed that the NHL or the PA hasn't stepped in. I know the CBA is pretty clear here, but what's the alternative? Guy just sits out forever or forfeits his contract?

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

His options seem to either settle on a procedure and come back playing for Buffalo, hoping for a trade at deadline or draft...

OR...

Be traded to a team who can afford not to have him for most of the season, which would mean another losing team, which would mean he would keep whining about losing.

I don't think I've ever seen a situation like this in sports. I'm still amazed that the NHL or the PA hasn't stepped in. I know the CBA is pretty clear here, but what's the alternative? Guy just sits out forever or forfeits his contract?

Would his pay be forfeit if he sits out? It's well documented he needs a surgery, so he could be characterized as physically unable to play, no? I don't know how Buffalo can force him to have a surgery, or not pay him if he doesn't. That's wild.

I suppose a trade at this point depends on cost. Even a competing team might give a 1st, B prospect, and a bottom 6 roster player, then just IR Eichel and let him carry on with the surgery he wants. I've heard no such reduction in price on Buffalo's end though. I don't know why they would want this dark cloud of a situation hanging over their roster as they rebuild. Looney tunes.

3 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Would his pay be forfeit if he sits out? It's well documented he needs a surgery, so he could be characterized as physically unable to play, no? I don't know how Buffalo can force him to have a surgery, or not pay him if he doesn't. That's wild.

I suppose a trade at this point depends on cost. Even a competing team might give a 1st, B prospect, and a bottom 6 roster player, then just IR Eichel and let him carry on with the surgery he wants. I've heard no such reduction in price on Buffalo's end though. I don't know why they would want this dark cloud of a situation hanging over their roster as they rebuild. Looney tunes.

I was thinking more that he would void his own contract and get the surgery he wants.

With finances and the cap around the league being what they are, I can't imagine teams giving up players who are young and cost controlled to take a huge risk on this guy, who not only might never be the same again, might never play again. There is a risk with every procedure.

9 hours ago, Shane Falco said:

Complete shit show. I would love to know what offers they got prior to all of this. I know I sound like a broken record, but I hope the Rangers moved on.

I don't. I hope Drury is waiting in the wings, checking in on moments of weakness and hopefully getting a decent deal. 

It's like trying to catch a chick right off a breakup. At first her standards are super high, but after a while... she might date even you! 

• LOL 2

27 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

I don't. I hope Drury is waiting in the wings, checking in on moments of weakness and hopefully getting a decent deal. 

It's like trying to catch a chick right off a breakup. At first her standards are super high, but after a while... she might date even you! 

Wait....does she look like Eichel??  If so, I'll pass and date a mangy sheep dog!  LOL

• LOL 1

I think people forget just how good Eichel really is. 

Obviously health can be a concern, but I have a feeling Drury is doing his due diligence on it. 

And obviously the price can be too high. But if the price is reasonable, you can't not make a push to get him. He's too good to just say 'lets move on' 

I think its impossible to get a deal done that keeps Zibanejad here after this year though, especially with Fox needing a deal and Kakko getting a bridge deal(if he has a really good year, which he certainly can, it makes it even more complicated). Still, if Eichel is healthy, as good as Zib has been, I take Eichel any day.

• Like 1

Just now, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I think people forget just how good Eichel really is. 

Obviously health can be a concern, but I have a feeling Drury is doing his due diligence on it. 

And obviously the price can be too high. But if the price is reasonable, you can't not make a push to get him. He's too good to just say 'lets move on' 

I think its impossible to get a deal done that keeps Zibanejad here after this year though, especially with Fox needing a deal and Kakko getting a bridge deal(if he has a really good year, which he certainly can, it makes it even more complicated). Still, if Eichel is healthy, as good as Zib has been, I take Eichel any day.

The biggest thing Eichel has on Zib is age. He has none of ZIb's intangibles or leadership.