• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

3 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I think people forget just how good Eichel really is. 

Obviously health can be a concern, but I have a feeling Drury is doing his due diligence on it. 

And obviously the price can be too high. But if the price is reasonable, you can't not make a push to get him. He's too good to just say 'lets move on' 

I think its impossible to get a deal done that keeps Zibanejad here after this year though, especially with Fox needing a deal and Kakko getting a bridge deal(if he has a really good year, which he certainly can, it makes it even more complicated). Still, if Eichel is healthy, as good as Zib has been, I take Eichel any day.

Agreed. There's a lot of recency bias for sure. 

5 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Zib is a proven performer here. I think some tinkering with a trade involving Trouba or Kreider could fix this issue. When are those nmc's modified to open up??

When players on the team make what they bring redundant.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

The biggest thing Eichel has on Zib is age. He has none of ZIb's intangibles or leadership.

Well, one, the age difference is pretty significant.

Two, I don't really know what "intangibles" Zib has that Eichel doesn't, but Eichel has actually been an NHL captain before, so there's an argument that he does have leadership.

Do leaders request trades? I guess that's up for debate.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Two, I don't really know what "intangibles" Zib has that Eichel doesn't, but Eichel has actually been an NHL captain before, so there's an argument that he does have leadership.

I liken it to your company's executive team losing a member to greener pastures. No less a leader, but may not like the direction of the company.

Leadership shouldn't be conflated with "has to deal with half a decade of complete ineptitude because of a letter on their chest"

7 hours ago, Pete said:

His options seem to either settle on a procedure and come back playing for Buffalo, hoping for a trade at deadline or draft...

OR...

Be traded to a team who can afford not to have him for most of the season, which would mean another losing team, which would mean he would keep whining about losing.

I don't think I've ever seen a situation like this in sports. I'm still amazed that the NHL or the PA hasn't stepped in. I know the CBA is pretty clear here, but what's the alternative? Guy just sits out forever or forfeits his contract?

I have to imagine that if the Sabres move to toll his contract due to noncompliance or no-show, the PA steps in and makes a trade happen.

This is a circus.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Messier did, and he's one of the best leaders this game has seen.

All I know is that I'm really skeptical about his injury, and it's a really risky investment that I just don't think the Rangers have to take right now.  I also don't think Eichel is going anywhere anytime soon, so I believe this door is going to be open for a while.  If he goes elsewhere, fine...I'm cool with that too.

I'd like to see how Zibby and Strome fare this season as well, so that we could either extend or trade them if need be around deadline time. 

If Eichel's situation clears up, and his injury isn't career or performance threatening, then fine...it's worth reconsidering his value to the Rangers, but that's a ways down the pike it seems.

Edited by Ozzy

I'm not really worried about his neck at all. I'm worried about the amount it's going to take just to acquire him, only to have him on the shelf for a significant chunk of the start of the season. You're not just acquiring a player who has a lengthy recovery time table, you're subtracting from your NHL team to do so, so it's a double whammy. This is why everyone wanted the deal done at the draft, not two weeks before camp opens.

That's true too, Phil.

He's going to probably miss the first 3 months of the season or maybe more it looks.  But the injury does concern me....and you're right, Adams is trying to turn goat piss into gasoline with what he wants in return.

....just too rich for me, I suppose.  I still think we'd be better just staying the course.

I hope Mika goes off this year and makes us say "Eichel who?"  LOL

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

It depends on which surgery he gets. I forget what the exact timetable was, but I believe the doctor he prefers, who would do the specific surgery he wants, said he'd be out six-to-eight weeks.

Ahhh Ok, I thought I remember reading it was a 3 month turnaround, but I'm probably wrong.  I still rather keep the shelves stocked with what we have and stay the course.  I'm just not sure we need him with what we have already or who else we could acquire spending less in money and assets.

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Ahhh Ok, I thought I remember reading it was a 3 month turnaround, but I'm probably wrong.  I still rather keep the shelves stocked with what we have and stay the course.  I'm just not sure we need him with what we have already or who else we could acquire spending less in money and assets.

I think the three-month time table was specific to the fusion surgery the Sabres want. The disc replacement Eichel potentially cuts that in half.

Whether its 6-8 weeks or three months, players who miss all of training came and then come in after that amount of time typically don't have good seasons.  You're talking about potentially writing off a season from a guy you paid dearly for in assets and $10m per.  

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Having a C on your jersey doesn't make you a leader.