• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo Clears Waivers Following Fight with Georgiev; Won't Play for Rangers Again

Blue Heaven

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fuck that, if he cleared, I play him tonight. They dont have a better replacement.

Lmao, I was thinking the same thing. Message sent. The league isn't dying to snatch you up. Shut up, play hockey, change your attitude and apologize to your teammate and management for getting punched.

• Like 1

Nope. He doesn't turn 26 until October so he can be bought out for one-third the remaining value. The cap charges, respectively, are $383,333 (2021-22) and $883,333 (2022-23).

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/anthony-deangelo

Incredibly easy decision to make if you can't find a trade partner that makes sense.

Wow. If they're truly done with him, this makes it a no brainer. Glad they can regain cap space, if it comes down to it.

Fox is a better player, and good on the PP in his own right, but DeAngelo was better offensively both at 5 v 5 and on the PP last year.

Not to state the obvious, but if there's one thing this year should have made clear already it's that hockey games aren't won on last years statsheet. This year, DeAngelo has been a disaster in every zone. There's not really much sugarcoating it - he's been absolutely terrible. His ice time is almost unchanged, he's getting crazy zone starts (70% offensive zone starts is borderline insane), and yet he's sitting here with almost impossibly bad offensive and defensive numbers.

When he's on the ice, the opponents have been scoring with roughly 23% of shots taken. To understand how god-awful that is: Jack Johnson, defensive pariah's shooting percent against is 12.1. Last year, ADA was up around 8%, which is around where you'd hope he is. For the record, Fox is at 3%, which is fucking incredible, and testament to how god damn good he is.

Put another way, he's been almost twice as bad at defense as Jack Johnson. When he's not doing it at the other end of the ice, it's a huge problem.

• Like 1

Lmao, I was thinking the same thing. Message sent. The league isn't dying to snatch you up. Shut up, play hockey, change your attitude and apologize to your teammate and management for getting punched.

Not good enough, there's a history, they better cut their losses now, or there may be more burner accounts in the future, more altercations. The screeching will not stop until he's gone. I guess some of the posters here know him, and they say he's a C*NT. It's odd, as he seemed quite popular in the room, but this latest issue, where he was punched in the face by a teammate who is very humble and gentle (I can't attest to that, but again, I think some posters here know Georgiev, or something) seems to be the last straw.

It's odd, as he seemed quite popular in the room, but this latest issue, where he was punched in the face by a teammate who is very humble and gentle (I can't attest to that, but again, I think some posters here know Georgiev, or something) seems to be the last straw.

Rick Carpinello's words. I just quoted him.

Fox is a better player, and good on the PP in his own right, but DeAngelo was better offensively both at 5 v 5 and on the PP last year.

Ehhh, not really. ADA scored 1 point per every 11 minutes of PP time. Fox 1 point every 10.6 minutes of PP time. ADA also had Zib scoring goals like crazy. Fox did it with the second unit. Then we can talk about advanced stats and what not for 5v5. ADA has tons of skill and plays a flashy game. Fox is capable of matching his production. Fox is also far superior defensively.

Ehhh, not really. ADA scored 1 point per every 11 minutes of PP time. Fox 1 point every 10.6 minutes of PP time. ADA also had Zib scoring goals like crazy. Fox did it with the second unit. Then we can talk about advanced stats and what not for 5v5. ADA has tons of skill and plays a flashy game. Fox is capable of matching his production. Fox is also far superior defensively.

Fox is also fantastic at keeping the puck in the zone on the PP. It helps that they're not constantly giving chase.

The entire team is monkey balls statistically, sans a few and a stud rookie, and the last time our goalie made a key save was before covid existed. I’m not sure why ADAs stats should be singled out when plenty of other guys such as our darling Dj with long hair and his sidekick frank zappa get passes.

I know I know, because they are friendlier about it.

• Like 1

Josh - this isn't a "belief" that ADA is an asshole. This is an endless, well-documented series of events bearing out that ADA is an asshole. You'd be fired for not hiring him based on his resume, but you would certainly consider him a risky hire based on his interview, or have serious pause based on his press, or ask yourself whether or not his character is a good fit for the corporate culture. Because those things matter.

Let's talk about what managers do to problem employees who don't take feedback without a tantrum, too. Good managers try to rehab, and if rehab doesn't work, they fire. There's only so much tolerance for "good performer, bad for culture", and you know as well as I do that the second those folks exit the "good performer" quadrant, they're on the ropes. Blaming ADA throwing tantrums and instigating fights on Quinn is straight up wrong - Quinn got him on the straight and narrow last year, and ADA took himself off of it. There's plenty of other things to blame Quinn about - ADA deciding to return to being ADA after wearing his plastic halo for a year is not one of them.

What's puzzling is that most of the locker room likes DeAngelo. What's NOT puzzling is that Quinn has lost the locker room.

Those who think this situation fixes the team and unifies the locker room, may be missing what I feel is the obvious problem.

Quinn.

Much like how Richard's, Lundqvist and others stood up to Torts years ago, to push management to make a change, I think this team is in the midst of something similar. DeAngelo bitching about a really dumb and poorly timed benching/scratch along with the terrible stretch of poor starts and finishes, with very, very uninspired play from all? Comments from team members who sound like they support DeAngelo? I'm just not sold on the narrative that he's a locker room cancer. Maybe he's the locker room mouth piece.

Quinn has lost this team. After this, I think the team nose dives and we see the roster pout.

What's puzzling is that most of the locker room likes DeAngelo. What's NOT puzzling is that Quinn has lost the locker room.

Those who think this situation fixes the team and unifies the locker room, may be missing what I feel is the obvious problem.

Quinn.

Much like how Richard's, Lundqvist and others stood up to Torts years ago, to push management to make a change, I think this team is in the midst of something similar. DeAngelo bitching about a really dumb and poorly timed benching/scratch along with the terrible stretch of poor starts and finishes, with very, very uninspired play from all? Comments from team members who sound like they support DeAngelo? I'm just not sold on the narrative that he's a locker room cancer. Maybe he's the locker room mouth piece.

Quinn has lost this team. After this, I think the team nose dives and we see the roster pout.

Lol. I think most of us that don’t agree with this wouldn’t mind it as much if Tony took Quinn with him. Then we can hire an NHL coach.

The entire team is monkey balls statistically, sans a few and a stud rookie, and the last time our goalie made a key save was before covid existed. I’m not sure why ADAs stats should be singled out when plenty of other guys such as our darling Dj with long hair and his sidekick frank zappa get passes.

I know I know, because they are friendlier about it.

Who is singling out anyone's stats? Fox > ADA, the end. Everyone needs to get their shit together this year.

Quinn.

Funny thing is they won 5-0 the game ADA was victimized by a poorly timed scratch.

Quinn.

Is this all on Quinn ? Quinn only had ADA for one year shouldn't this have been on Gorton ? Did Gorton talk to the players about ADA and his behavior last year and how was he in and out of the locker room ? Not sure we can dump this on Quinn.

Quinn.

While there's clearly some kind of problem that's taken foot with the way this team plays, none of it has anything to do with DeAngelo getting himself offed from the team with his shit behavior. It might be in part because ADA has been an absolutely atrocious hockey player thus far.

Again, blaming Quinn for DeAngelo behaving like DeAngelo - doubly so when Quinn seemed to have him on the straight and narrow for almost two full seasons with the Rangers - is just trying to find any other reason to excuse DeAngelo from having to be accountable. If he had any modicum of self-control, Quinn would have been credited with saving ADA's career.

Funny thing is they won 5-0 the game ADA was victimized by a poorly timed scratch.

The more you piece the puzzle together, the more you're led to believe that there was a serious distraction in the locker room and ADA was at the center of it.

I suppose the next few games will be quite telling with regard to whether or not that speculation turns out accurate.

Link: https://theathletic.com/news/tony-deangelo-rangers-waivers-altercation/xta59tUjcA6d

I don't think one of the "most polite" players on the roster would flip out for no reason. DeAngelo clearly crossed a line.

Hows that? Polite absolves people for acting out of anger? So what's your take on school shootings? Kids bullied and picked on, snap and kill everyone.. Its everyone who should be punished?

Yes a reach of an example, but you are advocating the violence in this situation and are ok with the guy who got hit being labeled as the problem and being shunned off a team where most of the roster LIKES the guy.