• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo Clears Waivers Following Fight with Georgiev; Won't Play for Rangers Again

Blue Heaven

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unsurprising. Like I said, he's radioactive. They'll try to deal him, but I still think the most likely scenario here is he's simply sent home and bought out this summer.

To be perfectly honest, if that?s the plan, why even buy him out? They brought him back in for a contract that fit their future plans and it?s only two years. You?re almost better off just paying him these two years rather than buying out and dealing with dead cap, no?

Yeah, one's an actual criminal.

Many are actual criminals. Tony isn't. But you of all people know better than most that his resume is at the top of the do-not-hire list for reasons that have nothing to do with his abilities on the ice.

To be perfectly honest, if that’s the plan, why even buy him out? They brought him back in for a contract that fit their future plans and it’s only two years. You’re almost better off just paying him these two years rather than buying out and dealing with dead cap, no?

Nope. He doesn't turn 26 until October so he can be bought out for one-third the remaining value. The cap charges, respectively, are $383,333 (2021-22) and $883,333 (2022-23).

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/anthony-deangelo

Incredibly easy decision to make if you can't find a trade partner that makes sense.

• Like 1

Nope. He doesn't turn 26 until October so he can be bought out for one-third the remaining value. The cap charges, respectively, are $383,333 (2021-22) and $883,333 (2022-23).

Incredibly easy decision to make if you can't find a trade partner that makes sense.

Ah yeah then that definitely makes sense. Good call.

As Phil pointed out, quite accurately, Deangelo is nuclear. Nobody is claiming him.

Now, why is that? Is it because no GM will take a chance on him, or is it because they'll be skewered by certain segments of their fan base?

Pretty obvious, really.

Both. He just fought a team mate and has been a documented problem for his front office/coach irrespective of the outsized backlash he gets for being an outspoken Trumpet on Twitter.

He's also not someone you want at $4.8 million for this season and next. If you think you can change him, or coach him away from his problems, you do so at reclamation prices after the Rangers buy him out.

Oh Shit!! I didn't know this one...Part of the reason you're the King of Swing up here, man!! Nice job Phil!!! :thumbs:

This is all leading to an inevitable three times a week podcast with Sean Avery on Barstool at some point. Right?

The reality of this situation is that once you remove the politics, twitter, and locker room fit from the equation what we have is a talent more interested in himself rather than his team. Tony is really talented offensive defenseman who rather than building off a breakout year decided to be a twat. Pro sports are full of asshols who had that ah-ha moment and figured out what it took to marry talent with being a team guy... Tony hasn't and who knows if he ever will- based on his track record I'm not holding my breath.

At the end of the day I don't care about all of the ancillary stuff, I care he hurt the team and is going to be yet another salary cap blemish. So for that, he can go fuck right off.

Damn, that's really good. It makes an already easy decision even easier.

Many are actual criminals. Tony isn't. But you of all people know better than most that his resume is at the top of the do-not-hire list for reasons that have nothing to do with his abilities on the ice.

No, you are comparing your belief that someone is an asshole to actual facts that someone is a convicted criminal.

I'd be fired if I didnt hire ADA based on his resume.

not a criminal.

Everyone has some type of issues, some we are able to deal with. If a manager cant control an employee, i usually look for a stronger manager.

This is all leading to an inevitable three times a week podcast with Sean Avery on Barstool at some point. Right?

The reality of this situation is that once you remove the politics, twitter, and locker room fit from the equation what we have is a talent more interested in himself rather than his team. Tony is really talented offensive defenseman who rather than building off a breakout year decided to be a twat. Pro sports are full of asshols who had that ah-ha moment and figured out what it took to marry talent with being a team guy... Tony hasn't and who knows if he ever will- based on his track record I'm not holding my breath.

At the end of the day I don't care about all of the ancillary stuff, I care he hurt the team and is going to be yet another salary cap blemish. So for that, he can go fuck right off.

Well, if we care about the team, a few more guys should have said something to Georgiev after that game.

No, you are comparing your belief that someone is an asshole to actual facts that someone is a convicted criminal.

not a criminal.

Everyone has some type of issues, some we are able to deal with. If a manager cant control an employee, i usually look for a stronger manager.

No, you wouldn't, because you wouldn't even interview him. For the same reason you say "no thanks" to literally dozens and dozens of others after combing through their social media profiles.

The reality of this situation is that once you remove the politics, twitter, and locker room fit from the equation what we have is a talent more interested in himself rather than his team. Tony is really talented offensive defenseman who rather than building off a breakout year decided to be a twat. Pro sports are full of assholes who had that ah-ha moment and figured out what it took to marry talent with being a team guy... Tony hasn't and who knows if he ever will- based on his track record I'm not holding my breath.

An eventual podcast on Barstool, probably. I doubt with Avery. His post-playing career is 100% grievance tour politics. There's tons of money to be made doing it.

not a criminal.

This!

No, you wouldn't, because you wouldn't even interview him. For the same reason you say "no thanks" to literally dozens and dozens of others after combing through their social media profiles.

No, I base my decisions mostly off the skill of the individual - thats the first thing you see.

I'd see a programmer that knows a language very few do, at a cheaper rate, and he's younger. I'm putting him in front of the manager, no question. If the manager decides its not the right fit - thats fine. He can take the heat when the guy goes to a competitor and continues to improve on his skills.

If this guy is in my org, and he's not a good fit - I don't re-sign him. And I've said, that's on Gorton.