• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo Clears Waivers Following Fight with Georgiev; Won't Play for Rangers Again

Blue Heaven

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I base my decisions mostly off the skill of the individual - thats the first thing you see.

I'd see a programmer that knows a language very few do, at a cheaper rate, and he's younger. I'm putting him in front of the manager, no question. If the manager decides its not the right fit - thats fine. He can take the heat when the guy goes to a competitor and continues to improve on his skills.

If this guy is in my org, and he's not a good fit - I don't re-sign him. And I've said, that's on Gorton.

No disagreement there. My best educated guess is they took a calculated risk knowing he was mostly a jovial presence on the team last season, but prone to poor reactions to discipline and outbursts. They hoped he'd continue to build on his success, making the latter a lot easier to stomach. Now that that has also dried up as he's been leapfrogged on the PP and at ES, it all came to a boil, and there's no buffer left.

They gambled and lost.

No disagreement there. My best educated guess is they took a calculated risk knowing he was mostly a jovial presence on the team last season, but prone to poor reactions to discipline and outbursts. They hoped he'd continue to build on his success, making the latter a lot easier to stomach. Now that that has also dried up as he's been leapfrogged on the PP and at ES, it all came to a boil, and there's no buffer left.

They gambled and lost.

"Leapfrogged on the PP" after 1 game. Let's not act like he had a fair shake to maintain his standing in the lineup after the year he had last season. A lot of that is on Quinn, since he solely decides what kind of opportunity you get, which brings us full circle to...Quinn doesn't seem to be the right man for this job.

• Like 1

No, you are comparing your belief that someone is an asshole to actual facts that someone is a convicted criminal.

I'd be fired if I didnt hire ADA based on his resume.

not a criminal.

Everyone has some type of issues, some we are able to deal with. If a manager cant control an employee, i usually look for a stronger manager.

Josh - this isn't a "belief" that ADA is an asshole. This is an endless, well-documented series of events bearing out that ADA is an asshole. You'd be fired for not hiring him based on his resume, but you would certainly consider him a risky hire based on his interview, or have serious pause based on his press, or ask yourself whether or not his character is a good fit for the corporate culture. Because those things matter.

Let's talk about what managers do to problem employees who don't take feedback without a tantrum, too. Good managers try to rehab, and if rehab doesn't work, they fire. There's only so much tolerance for "good performer, bad for culture", and you know as well as I do that the second those folks exit the "good performer" quadrant, they're on the ropes. Blaming ADA throwing tantrums and instigating fights on Quinn is straight up wrong - Quinn got him on the straight and narrow last year, and ADA took himself off of it. There's plenty of other things to blame Quinn about - ADA deciding to return to being ADA after wearing his plastic halo for a year is not one of them.

• Like 1

We've talked a lot about what the Rangers can do under CBA rules, but if you were Gorton, wouldn't you have gotten some behavior clauses into that contract? Don't know if there are NHLPA limits, but I certainly would have tried to indemnify against an event like this to the extent possible.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

"Leapfrogged on the PP" after 1 game. Let's not act like he had a fair shake to maintain his standing in the lineup after the year he had last season. A lot of that is on Quinn, since he solely decides what kind of opportunity you get, which brings us full circle to...Quinn doesn't seem to be the right man for this job.

Or maybe Fox is just better

That says A LOT about ADA..

Fuck him and his whopping 1 assist...that -6 is more of what this guy is about to me!

We have a game tonight...this guy's literally yesterday's news.

Let's also keep this in the proper context about nobody claiming him.

There are 7 teams with the cap space to take on a 4.8 million hit; one of them is the NY Rangers, two others are right up against the cap ceiling, and a third is perennially one of the three lowest payrolls in the league(and is likely not interested in taking on 5 million dollar redemption projects). Not like there was a ton of places to go.

https://www.capfriendly.com/

• Like 1

Let's also keep this in the proper context about nobody claiming him.

There are 7 teams with the cap space to take on a 4.8 million hit; one of them is the NY Rangers, two others are right up against the cap ceiling, and a third is perennially one of the three lowest payrolls in the league(and is likely not interested in taking on 5 million dollar redemption projects). Not like there was a ton of places to go.

https://www.capfriendly.com/

There is definitely a lot of that too but it’s getting ignored. There aren’t a ton of teams that can actually take him so it’s not much of a case of “the entire nhl passed on him” kind of thing. When the Rangers buy him out, another team will pick him up on the cheap I’m sure next offseason.

There is definitely a lot of that too but it’s getting ignored. There aren’t a ton of teams that can actually take him so it’s not much of a case of “the entire nhl passed on him” kind of thing. When the Rangers buy him out, another team will pick him up on the cheap I’m sure next offseason.

I think the move right now is to find out what price folks are willing to take him at. Only a handful of teams could actually have claimed him, and internal caps hit a bunch of them. They'll give it a few weeks and if there's no match, he's going to be bought out in the offseason.

I agree with the notion that they're not the same. A fight in practice caused by a scrum has a completely different type of energy. It's not like they come from one guy calling out another. Guys get tied up, they don't like the way they're hit and they fight. It's the heat of the moment. It's another thing to call out your goaltender in the hallway and then pick a fight. Tony purposefully picked a fight. Think about it as manslaughter versus homicide. Tony had intent.

Can we define "pick a fight"? Having a comment or taking a dig at your teammate isn't necessarily picking a fight, which sounds like it was the case.

Was Lundqvist picking fights his entire career for bitching at who ever was on the ice for a goal against?

• Like 1

Tempers are high. Players are used to losing. You don't often hear about an altercation in the locker room. This isn't something you brush off. Tony's history only exacerbates the issue. Kreider punching his teammate is wrong, but he was doing so in the defense of his teammate. Kreider doesn't have a bad history that needs to be worried about, though.

Again. Kreider didn't punch him. Georgiev did.

Sportsnet: What happened between Rangers and Tony DeAngelo, and what may come next.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/happened-rangers-tony-deangelo-may-come-next/

Again. Kreider didn't punch him. Georgiev did.

Sportsnet: What happened between Rangers and Tony DeAngelo, and what may come next.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/happened-rangers-tony-deangelo-may-come-next/

We know this now because of the information reported this morning. Am I supposed to be clairvoyant? Look at the timeline of when events were reported.

Can we define "pick a fight"? Having a comment or taking a dig at your teammate isn't necessarily picking a fight, which sounds like it was the case.

Was Lundqvist picking fights his entire career for bitching at who ever was on the ice for a goal against?

One way or another, it is almost certain DeAngelo has played his last game as a Ranger. It further hurts his case that Georgiev is one of the most polite, thoughtful and well-respected players on the roster.

Link: https://theathletic.com/news/tony-deangelo-rangers-waivers-altercation/xta59tUjcA6d

I don't think one of the "most polite" players on the roster would flip out for no reason. DeAngelo clearly crossed a line.

Having this escalate to an unsubstantiated (and refuted by Wyshynski) K'Andre Miller rumor, with the obvious intention to paint DeAngelo as a racist - and not just a dick, tells you all you need to know about ulterior motive to take DeAngelo out of hockey and not just off the Rangers for a fight with a teammate. These are two drastically different things. It's been a while since I've seen a group of people so triggered over a hockey player to be quite honest.

Regardless, let's hope he's claimed because it's obvious he's played his last game with the Rangers.

Perfectly said. Thanks for saying what I was thinking, but much more polite.

I think the move right now is to find out what price folks are willing to take him at. Only a handful of teams could actually have claimed him, and internal caps hit a bunch of them. They'll give it a few weeks and if there's no match, he's going to be bought out in the offseason.

The only team I really see a chance is Detroit, moreso because of Staals presence. If he was on board with being ADA friendly, Yzerman could potentially take him on. Not sure Yzerman wants that but still. They aren’t stacked on D at all.

The only team I really see a chance is Detroit, moreso because of Staals presence. If he was on board with being ADA friendly, Yzerman could potentially take him on. Not sure Yzerman wants that but still. They aren’t stacked on D at all.

Yzerman was the first one to ship him out. He's acutely aware of who DeAngelo is and what his shortcomings are.