• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jack Johnson on Waivers

Phil

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they passed on better D that actually cost less. Ex. DelZotto 700k. The signing of JJ was a huge head scratcher and at the same time it's not a big deal, just annoying.

MDZ is someone i mentioned in the thread and is having a pretty decent year. Certainly would have been a better signing but it is what it is. Also mentioned Greene but he went for too much money anyway.

it was perfect.

I didn't see anywhere in that JD presser that they mentioned they only signed him for half a year and planned to waive him eventually.

The team president is gonna say that in an interview before the season even starts? He did say,

"we signed him for one-year, it fit into the cap situation we are in."

"We have a lot of kids......we have a lot of defense coming down the road but we have to get there and we have to battle."

The kids battled and you now have Miller and Hajek playing over Johnson.

The team president is gonna say that in an interview before the season even starts? He did say,

"we signed him for one-year, it fit into the cap situation we are in."

"We have a lot of kids......we have a lot of defense coming down the road but we have to get there and we have to battle."

The kids battled and you now have Miller and Hajek playing over Johnson.

so that's a no i guess. You're the one using his quotes as if it has any meaning, not me. Look, im not trying to start anything with you specifically but I still think it was a dumb signing. Especially when you bring in both him and Bitetto. If you want to say he had good work ethic, good pk, good soldier, all that stuff to show the kids, then it actually looks kind of worse to dump him mid season out of nowhere like that. He just was a pointless signing and as others and myself said, was so early on when you might have actually gotten luckier on a better signing had you let it flesh out a bit. If you missed out and team x,y, or z scooped up JJ clearly we would have been fine since he couldn't even last a full season here.

So then don't join in on the conversation? I'm not sure what the problem is here.

The problem is there's just a disproportionate amount of complaining over a signing that didn't affect anything then, or now. If you put a complaint out there, people are going to reply.

Interesting reading the signing thread. Gotta highlight this one...

All the worse fears in that thread didn't come true. He didn't cause us to lose games. He played 15 minutes a night, plus PK time. He lost his spot to a kid. They waived him.

it would have been worse if Miller was in the AHL or getting scratched for him, lol

The problem is there's just a disproportionate amount of complaining over a signing that didn't affect anything then, or now. If you put a complaint out there, people are going to reply.

Meh. It's just something to discuss. I just think it would hav been better to try and catch lightning in a bottle instead of a turd on a stick

sort of yes sort of no. They went into the season not giving Hajek the job but instead to JJ. Bitteto was the 7 guy and Hajek 8. Only after the ADA debacle and JJ injury did Hajek get moved up. Hajek didnt even crack the lineup until Feb. Same with Bitetto. He wasn't "really" in their plans until ADA left and JJ got hurt.

I understand it's semantics but JJ wasn't ever going to be anything more than just a roster move. For that, i just find it hard to believe we needed a guy no one in the league wanted in the first place and we had to sign right away. I would have been more understanding if he weren't in the lineup until Feb rather than the other way around.

It's not a huge deal. Just nitpicking.

That's pretty much it. They signed him early and everyone was like.. "huh? Why?".. Not like there were amazing options signed after him, but I recall a few better options. Had they signed him 2 weeks into free agency, I think people would give the move more slack.

Interesting reading the signing thread. Gotta highlight this one...

All the worse fears in that thread didn't come true. He didn't cause us to lose games. He played 15 minutes a night, plus PK time. He lost his spot to a kid. They waived him.

Wellllll. Let's not forget whom he was paired with to start the season. He likely did contribute to a few losses. Unless you're going to pin it solely on his partner who took massive heat for his metrics..

Except for the fact the Johnson played pretty well in his limited role.

Except... he really didn’t. Not sure what games you watched but he “maybe” had a couple/few decent games but that’s it. Otherwise he was a mess. Step slow, taking bad penalties and out of position.

You don’t pay a mill+ for a few good games and 20+ overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Except... he really didn’t. Not sure what games you watched but he “maybe” had a couple/few decent games but that’s it. Otherwise he was a mess. Step slow, taking bad penalties and out of position.

You don’t pay a mill+ for a few good games and 20+ overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The stats don't agree, but OK.

Guess you haven't viewed his possession, shot, or goals for/against metrics. It's not good hockey when a defenseman has the majority of play occur in their own zone. It's pretty telling that it means they suck.
Why don't you post the metrics?

Because the ones that I posted suggest he had some really bad luck (PDO) and he's at the top of the team in on ice save percentage for... That doesn't happen when you bleed quality chances.