• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jack Johnson on Waivers

Phil

Why don't you post the metrics?

Because the ones that I posted suggest he had some really bad luck (PDO) and he's at the top of the team in on ice save percentage for... That doesn't happen when you bleed quality chances.

Maybe he was on the ice against the worst offensive players the other team had to offer? Surely he wasnt out there against the other teams top players.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he was on the ice against the worst offensive players the other team had to offer? Surely he wasnt out there against the other teams top players.
No doubt. It still shows that he did his job when he was out on the ice. Based on the complaining, you would think he would be letting fourth liners walk him. That's not what happened.

He was fine, he served his purpose, and he got waived.

There are dozens of players who go through this every season. They sign a cheap ticket, wind up being a fringe player, maybe have some highlights or lowlights, then you never hear from them again. If his name wasn't Jack Johnson nobody would care about this guy.

No doubt. It still shows that he did his job when he was out on the ice. Based on the complaining, you would think he would be letting fourth liners walk him. That's not what happened.

He was fine, he served his purpose, and he got waived.

There are dozens of players who go through this every season. They sign a cheap ticket, wind up being a fringe player, maybe have some highlights or lowlights, then you never hear from them again. If his name wasn't Jack Johnson nobody would care about this guy.

Agreed.

You have to consider too the Ranger probably didnt want anyone who was going to earn valuable ice time with Hajek, Reunanen, Miller all possibilities for ice time. I am not saying they went for someone bad but just someone who they didnt have a problem sitting/waiving at the end of the day.

Why don't you post the metrics?

Because the ones that I posted suggest he had some really bad luck (PDO) and he's at the top of the team in on ice save percentage for... That doesn't happen when you bleed quality chances.

https://evolving-hockey.com/stats/skater_standard/?_inputs_&std_sk_group=%22Team%2C%20Season%22&std_sk_age1=%2217%22&std_sk_type=%22Rates%22&std_sk_info=%22No%22&std_sk_adj=%22Score%20%26%20Venue%22&std_sk_season=%2220202021%22&std_sk_pos=%22All%22&std_sk_table=%22On-Ice%22&std_sk_span=%22Regular%22&std_sk_players=%5B%22Jack%20Johnson%22%2C%22Brendan%20Smith%22%2C%22Jacob%20Trouba%22%2C%22Adam%20Fox%22%2C%22Libor%20Hajek%22%2C%22Ryan%20Lindgren%22%5D&std_sk_toi=%2250%22&std_sk_team=%22All%22&std_sk_range=%22Seasons%22&std_sk_dft_yr=%22All%22&std_sk_age2=%2250%22&std_sk_str=%225v5%22

Added all Rangers defenseman to the filter. The one (and only) positive I see is his GA/60 is 3rd best on the team amongst defensemen, behind Hajek and Fox, but both Johnson and Hajek are at the bottom for most everything else and it's not really close. CF%, xGF%, G+-/60, S+-/60. Statistically, Johnson and Hajek are consistently pinned in their own zone and generate nothing the other way.

I just don't get why a spade can't be called a spade. I won't pretend it was a good signing just because it didn't cost the Rangers much. It was a bad signing and has proven to be bad. This is more discussion than I thought I'd ever have to have about a $1M signing, but people going to bat for what Jack Johnson brought to this team is mind boggling. It was a bad signing, but it didn't cost much. That's the crux of it.

https://evolving-hockey.com/stats/skater_standard/?_inputs_&std_sk_group=%22Team%2C%20Season%22&std_sk_age1=%2217%22&std_sk_type=%22Rates%22&std_sk_info=%22No%22&std_sk_adj=%22Score%20%26%20Venue%22&std_sk_season=%2220202021%22&std_sk_pos=%22All%22&std_sk_table=%22On-Ice%22&std_sk_span=%22Regular%22&std_sk_players=%5B%22Jack%20Johnson%22%2C%22Brendan%20Smith%22%2C%22Jacob%20Trouba%22%2C%22Adam%20Fox%22%2C%22Libor%20Hajek%22%2C%22Ryan%20Lindgren%22%5D&std_sk_toi=%2250%22&std_sk_team=%22All%22&std_sk_range=%22Seasons%22&std_sk_dft_yr=%22All%22&std_sk_age2=%2250%22&std_sk_str=%225v5%22

Added all Rangers defenseman to the filter. The one (and only) positive I see is his GA/60 is 3rd best on the team amongst defensemen, behind Hajek and Fox, but both Johnson and Hajek are at the bottom for most everything else and it's not really close. CF%, xGF%, G+-/60, S+-/60. Statistically, Johnson and Hajek are consistently pinned in their own zone and generate nothing the other way.

I just don't get why a spade can't be called a spade. I won't pretend it was a good signing just because it didn't cost the Rangers much. It was a bad signing and has proven to be bad. This is more discussion than I thought I'd ever have to have about a $1M signing, but people going to bat for what Jack Johnson brought to this team is mind boggling. It was a bad signing, but it didn't cost much. That's the crux of it.

No one here is saying he was good, just that people are exaggerating how bad he was. He was a depth signing, he filled a spot as depth signings tend to do and when his usefulness deteriorated he gets easily moved.

You're both arguing past each other and you're both right.

Jack Johnson is an AWFUL possession defender. RMC is spot on there - and the data bears it out.

That said, in spite of being terrible at possession, his positioning stats and shot quality data are quite strong. Pete is spot on there - and the data bears it out.

Both of these things can be correct. It spells out a defender that can't push play, but can make sure that not much going against you is a serious threat.

• Like 2

Why are you not comparing him to a similarly priced defenseman with similar usage? That's his peer group. His peer group isn't Trouba.

To pay a $1M for a seventh defenseman to play 15 mins a night and not cost you any games is pretty standard in the league, I'd imagine.

Let's call a spade a spade. It was neither a good signing nor a bad signing. It's just a signing. He was a warm body who cost nothing, didn't block any of the kids, and didn't cost us games. He's just a guy.

Why are you not comparing him to a similarly priced defenseman with similar usage? That's his peer group. His peer group isn't Trouba.

To pay a $1M for a seventh defenseman to play 15 mins a night and not cost you any games is pretty standard in the league, I'd imagine.

Let's call a spade a spade. It was neither a good signing nor a bad signing. It's just a signing. He was a warm body who cost nothing, didn't block any of the kids, and didn't cost us games. He's just a guy.

Yep. And in 3 years time we'll all forget that he even played here. He'll be on that old thread for players we can't remember.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This, mixed with his intangibles which they liked, is why I originally said perfect signing. The signed him for a specific role and he filled that role to a T. Can you imagine the complaints if they resigned Del Zotto and he was playing 20 minutes a night, the team results were the same, and Hajek was nowhere to be found?

He didn’t provide leadership, the younger players didn’t learn from him, and he wasn’t some pk guru shutting down top power plays. He was just blech.

Legit no intangibles whatsoever. Inconsequential does not equal good or perfection. It equals inconsequential. But it’s quite possible signing someone inconsequential missed an opportunity for someone surprisingly impactful. We saw it exactly happen with Blackwell. He’s been great out of nowhere. Zero chance that could have happened with JJ. Hopefully this coming offseason, when the ufa period comes, we don’t rush to sign a player the rest of the NHL doesn’t want.

He didn’t provide leadership, the younger players didn’t learn from him, and he wasn’t some pk guru shutting down top power plays. He was just blech.

Legit no intangibles whatsoever. Inconsequential does not equal good or perfection. It equals inconsequential. But it’s quite possible signing someone inconsequential missed an opportunity for someone surprisingly impactful. We saw it exactly happen with Blackwell. He’s been great out of nowhere. Zero chance that could have happened with JJ. Hopefully this coming offseason, when the ufa period comes, we don’t rush to sign a player the rest of the NHL doesn’t want.

Excellent example.

And the only Jack Johnson intangible (lol) I see is his ability to net a contract and ice time on a rebuilding team.

Excellent example.

And the only Jack Johnson intangible (lol) I see is his ability to net a contract and ice time on a rebuilding team.

Yes excellent example....except for all the complaints about Blackwell getting PP time, or Blackwell playing in the top 6 over Kakko/Laf, or Blackwell getting too much ice time.

Yes excellent example....except for all the complaints about Blackwell getting PP time, or Blackwell playing in the top 6 over Kakko/Laf, or Blackwell getting too much ice time.

Yes, I like him for the bottom 6. He works hard and chips in with some offense. I'm not as much a fan when he is elevated to a role he shouldn't be in on a rebuilding team that needs to give the time to youth. That's a knock on Quinn, not on Blackwell.

Are you attached to Jack Johnson because he was a #3 overall pick? I know how much you like to use draft position as a way to evaluate a player's current worth ten years later.

If he did what the Rangers asked of him, then I'd hate to hear what they asked of him. We just have different definitions of the words great and "perfect" when it comes to evaluating a signing.

Lol I hear ya. He literally did little to nothing for the team and couldn’t even make it a full season with an already decimated defense. He’s not gone though but somehow still couldn’t even manage to keep himself dressed even with an assistant coach that was trying to vouch for the guy.