• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So, Who Will the Rangers Protect from Seattle?

Phil

What date is The expansion list made public?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

July 17 at 5PM, but that was under the assumption of a July 9 end to the SCF (which could still be the case, but they assumed the playoffs would start tomorrow and that won't happen).

I'd imagine that they'll want to put some space between the SCF and the expansion draft, but for now - July 17 at 5PM

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you're Howden, you sign a one-way deal to protect your NHL salary, because if he doesn't re-sign he's likely not in the NHL next year.

Perhaps. I'd venture a guess that there's a few teams out there who like Howden enough to give him a 1-way deal. Hell, if he's on the protect list, it wouldn't shock me at all given that he never found his way into the doghouse....somehow.

I'd roll with:

Forwards

Panarin (NMC)

Kreider (NMC)

Zibanejad (NMC)

Strome

Buchnevich

Chytil

Blackwell

Defense

Trouba (NMC)

Lindgren

Hajek

Goalie

Shesterkin (isn't he a RFA?)

we don't have to protect Shesty. So its a choice between Georgiev and Kinkaid and asset management alone you gotta protect Georgiev.

Otherwise I completely agree with your picks

Also I have basically nothing to do at work today so I'm going to try and do this entire draft for the whole league. Let's See how it goes. On a quick glance, Minnesota has some TOUGH decisions to make

Wild have 3 Dmen with NMCs, and Matt Dumba isn't one of them. At forward they have Parise and Zuc with NMCs but other good players, under contract/RFAs I'm they'd like to keep.

Rask, Foligno, Fiala, Greenway, Eriksson-Ek and Hartmann.

They'll have to choose between exposing Dumba and keeping all those forwards (minus probably Hartmann), or protecting Dumba and having to expose two more of those forwards (Hartmann + 2 more) since it's either 7fwd/3D/1G or 8 skaters/1 G

They're gonna have to probably trade the 1st from Pittsburgh they have to Seattle to as a conditional pick that they take someone else

I don't think it's going to be a straight up protect situation.

I think Gauthier and Georgiev are going with something coming back, probably from a 3rd team.

Kinda what I expect. Include Hajek in the package as well. Maybe they can swing a deal for another teams unprotected player. Something like:

Rangers deal Hajek, Georgiev and Gauthier to Seattle for Matt Martin and or another player to be selected by Seattle and immediately sent to the Rangers. Thus Seattle not picking any Rangers.

we don't have to protect Shesty. So its a choice between Georgiev and Kinkaid and asset management alone you gotta protect Georgiev.

Otherwise I completely agree with your picks

Also I have basically nothing to do at work today so I'm going to try and do this entire draft for the whole league. Let's See how it goes. On a quick glance, Minnesota has some TOUGH decisions to make

Wild have 3 Dmen with NMCs, and Matt Dumba isn't one of them. At forward they have Parise and Zuc with NMCs but other good players, under contract/RFAs I'm they'd like to keep.

Rask, Foligno, Fiala, Greenway, Eriksson-Ek and Hartmann.

They'll have to choose between exposing Dumba and keeping all those forwards (minus probably Hartmann), or protecting Dumba and having to expose two more of those forwards (Hartmann + 2 more) since it's either 7fwd/3D/1G or 8 skaters/1 G

They're gonna have to probably trade the 1st from Pittsburgh they have to Seattle to as a conditional pick that they take someone else

10-4 BBB! I'll update my post :thumbs:

I thought since he's a RFA we had to...my bad!

Our position is better than any other team due to all of the first and second year pros that we have. I think we should take advantage of that by starting Operation Grit by trading an asset that does not need protection for a good player that another team will offer a bargain on because they are not in a position to protect him. We then protect that player and expose Gauthier. Other teams have loads of good players they cannot protect.

Everyone is going to lose a more valuable player than we do as things stand now.

Perhaps. I'd venture a guess that there's a few teams out there who like Howden enough to give him a 1-way deal. Hell, if he's on the protect list, it wouldn't shock me at all given that he never found his way into the doghouse....somehow.
To be honest, I don't think there's a team in the league who's interested in Howden. We might actually see Howden pushed out because he's Gorton legacy and Drury has no rep to protect.

To be honest, I don't think there's a team in the league who's interested in Howden. We might actually see Howden pushed out because he's Gorton legacy and Drury has no rep to protect.

Quinn would keep Howden on board.

I can't believe even Quinn didn't try him with Panarin-Strome, an idea I floated in the off-season. Its the best Howden could ever do, and could essentially fill that role with what he can/could do

I can't believe even Quinn didn't try him with Panarin-Strome, an idea I floated in the off-season. Its the best Howden could ever do, and could essentially fill that role with what he can/could do
So an NHL coach didn't listen to a suggestion that a fan wrote on a message board, eh? What are the chances?

Here's a potentially interesting idea I haven't seen anywhere yet. Get creative and make a a three-way trade with Seattle for a player we'd otherwise protect. If I'm not mistaken, the Kraken will have at worst a top 6 pick in this year's draft. If they win the lottery, the pick is off the table. If they don't, I wonder if the #4-#6 would be available if they could land a higher end player who can help kick the franchise off on the right foot.

A couple of fun examples:

To Seattle: Pavel Buchnevich or Ryan Strome, NYR 1st

To NY: Dylan Larkin, NYR 2nd (from Det)

To Det: Sea 1st, Filip Chytil, B prospect (from NYR)

To Seattle: Mika Zibanejad

To NY: Jack Eichel

To Buffalo: Sea 1st, Filip Chytil, 1 of Miller/Jones/Lundkvist

Eichel is a bust and a bad move.This guy gets a bug up his ass and just quits on his team like this year plus he has never played a full season. He basically Kreider and he won’t gel with Quinn

Guy's got a herniated disc in his neck and he "quits on his team."

C'mon man

He had fractured a rib just before camp and still got ready to play the season too. A herniated disc that he had for who knows how long. The expectation for this guy to be a robot for a shit franchise after 6 years is unrealistic.

i dont think thats a not so great thing at all. We get to protect our best players and our next best players all don't have enough time as pros to be exposed.

Teams like Minnesota, Carolina, and even the Islanders are either going to lose a VERY important piece to their squad, including possibly young, high drafted players. Or they're going to have to pay a ransom to Seattle in draft picks and prospects to keep those players. We're among the teams in the best position heading into the expansion draft

i dont think thats a not so great thing at all. We get to protect our best players and our next best players all don't have enough time as pros to be exposed.

Teams like Minnesota, Carolina, and even the Islanders are either going to lose a VERY important piece to their squad, including possibly young, high drafted players. Or they're going to have to pay a ransom to Seattle in draft picks and prospects to keep those players. We're among the teams in the best position heading into the expansion draft

For sure but they are all also contending for a cup. When you miss the playoffs and you are in the midst of a rebuild, even three years in, you shouldn't have very valuable pieces to expose. That's why you aren't contending.

Eichel is a bust and a bad move.This guy gets a bug up his ass and just quits on his team like this year plus he has never played a full season. He basically Kreider and he won’t gel with Quinn

Eichel was recruited and played for Quinn at BU. Not sure how they gelled but I've never heard they didn't gel there.

Yea managed this very well but hes lucky this isnt next year or the following with all these prospects needing to be protected

He's not lucky. Seattle's entrance into the league has been known for a long time. He signed players accordingly.

He's not lucky. Seattle's entrance into the league has been known for a long time. He signed players accordingly.

Maybe lucky is the wrong word.. serendipitous? My point being they didnt start the rebuild when they did simply because they wouldnt have to protect guys from Seattle. It was just good timing all around otherwise they would have to make some tough choices.