• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So, Who Will the Rangers Protect from Seattle?

Phil

Chances are that the club would have protected Howden, who generally worked with Rooney as the second or third penalty-killing tandem.

But Gauthier, who will turn 24 in October, could re-enter the conversation with different sets of eyes evaluating him.

Kravtsov and Gauthier both play the right side, so in that sense they are competing for a spot on the roster, in the lineup and for ice time. But they are not competing for a spot on the protected list. The competition would seem to be between Howden and Gauthier.

Howden is more of a known quantity. But he seems to have hit his ceiling as a fourth-liner. Gauthier’s potential is still unrealized, but he sure does seem to have a higher upside than Howden. And though the Blueshirts appear to be overstocked with top-nine-type wingers, one or more could be sacrificed as a consequence of offseason remodeling.

And with Quinn no longer appearing in the team picture, the Rangers could decide to give Gauthier one more look.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/17/justin-gauthiers-rangers-future-could-change-with-new-coach/

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should give him another look. All he's ever done is produce in the AHL. He hasn't had near enough opportunity in the NHL to write him off, and I thought he looked good last season in very limited time. One of the very few who actually knew how to take the puck to the net. It's amazing Quinn ostracized him. One of his failures as a coach.

I mean, he stinks (thus far), but in a race against Howden — jack of no trades — it's just not a race at all. Keep Gauthier. At the very least, assuming they strike out on major fourth-line changes, having he and Barron in-house is great security in potentially re-designing it. They're not mean, by any stretch, but they do have something you can't teach, which is size.

....Two words for ya: Howden blows!

I'd protect the stick boy before Howden!! :rofl:

You were holding out hope for Howden longer than most. Glad to see the bloom is off the rose for you now too. He does blow. There is no way this guy should be seeing routine NHL ice. Not even a question in my mind of who to keep out of Gauthier or Howden. Honestly, I'd rather protect Rooney over any of them.

You were holding out hope for Howden longer than most. Glad to see the bloom is off the rose for you now too. He does blow. There is no way this guy should be seeing routine NHL ice. Not even a question in my mind of who to keep out of Gauthier or Howden. Honestly, I'd rather protect Rooney over any of them.

Yeah Kev, I've seen enough with Howden. It's time to move on and like you said, I think I gave him too much rope. Rooney did a pretty good job for us this season, but honestly I'm hoping Barron takes that 4C role for the next 10 years. Gauthier would be a better choice to protect. He's gotta have more in the tank, and we need bigger tougher players. He fits that role, and has more upside I think.

Yeah Kev, I've seen enough with Howden. It's time to move on and like you said, I think I gave him too much rope. Rooney did a pretty good job for us this season, but honestly I'm hoping Barron takes that 4C role for the next 10 years. Gauthier would be a better choice to protect. He's gotta have more in the tank, and we need bigger tougher players. He fits that role, and has more upside I think.

Well Gauthier is certainly bigger but I really haven't seen toughness out of him. I wish he was tough. Then it wouldn't even be a question about protecting him.

The best thing about Gauthier is that he's not Howden. That's about it though.

He has size and speed but he's doesn't understand the gamenat the NHL level or his role when he's on the 4th line (which he will be, here).

Of course the popular theory is it's all Quinn's fault, but that's bullshit. Guy does 1 good thing and 7 dumb things during a game, that's worse than Howden just being out of his depth. There's something to be said for a 4th liner knowing he's a 4th liner and not thinking he's a 1st liner.

This decision amounts to choosing which pimple you're gonna pop on which ass cheek. Either way you're left with something you don't really want.

• Like 1

He has size and speed but he's doesn't understand the gamenat the NHL level or his role when he's on the 4th line (which he will be, here).

Of course the popular theory is it's all Quinn's fault, but that's bullshit. Guy does 1 good thing and 7 dumb things during a game, that's worse than Howden just being out of his depth. There's something to be said for a 4th liner knowing he's a 4th liner and not thinking he's a 1st liner.

This decision amounts to choosing which pimple you're gonna pop on which ass cheek. Either way you're left with something you don't really want.

Consider that stolen, sir!! :rofl:

Point taken too. Thing is, I keep thinking "how can a guy with that size and speed be this useless?"....definitely a head scratcher!

It's a popular theory because he was 6th on the team in P/60. He earned more ice time and was not given it. It's really that simple.

I don't know where you got the second part of the bold, but it's inaccurate. You can't even say "penalties". He took 6 and drew 9. He was 5th on the team in net penalties. And I think half of those penalties taken came in one bad game. One in which he also scored a highlight reel goal. Quinn put him back in the dumpster bin after that game IIRC. Look no further for an example to why Quinn isn't here anymore.

It's a popular theory because he was 6th on the team in P/60. He earned more ice time and was not given it. It's really that simple.

I don't know where you got the second part of the bold, but it's inaccurate. You can't even say "penalties". He took 6 and drew 9. He was 5th on the team in net penalties. And I think half of those penalties taken came in one bad game. One in which he also scored a highlight reel goal. Quinn put him back in the dumpster bin after that game IIRC. Look no further for an example to why Quinn isn't here anymore.

P/60 is only valuable when comparing players who are in the same role. Totally arbitrary to use that to justify more ice time on this team.

Also too early to say "Not using Gauthier is an example of why Quinn isn't here." People said the same shit about Torts and Kreider and then AV came in and sent Kreider to the AHL, so there's that.

There's a reason the Canes, who are quite deep at defense, traded this guy for Joey Keane.

Yea I’m not saying gauthier looked amazing but he certainly looked good enough to warrant some more ice time. Certainly over guys like howden and PDG.

Quinn just didn’t like him for some reason- same as how he loved Howden for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It's not "for some reason", though. The reason is clear. Howden isn't an NHL player but he knows his role and tries to the best of his ability to perform that role. Gauthier is a tweener who coasts and makes a ton of brain dead plays. You can be big and fast and stupid. We've seen players like this everywhere.

Now we can all agree or disagree with that train of thought, but it's not true that there's "no reason" for Gauthier to be scratched.

Lets also understand that Howden is a C/LW and Gauthier is a RW. His fate was sealed when Kravtsov came over.

It's not "for some reason", though. The reason is clear. Howden isn't an NHL player but he knows his role and tries to the best of his ability to perform that role. Gauthier is a tweener who coasts and makes a ton of brain dead plays. You can be big and fast and stupid. We've seen players like this everywhere.

Now we can all agree or disagree with that train of thought, but it's not true that there's "no reason" for Gauthier to be scratched.

Lets also understand that Howden is a C/LW and Gauthier is a RW. His fate was sealed when Kravtsov came over.

I'd probably wager the Rangers protect Howden simply because he's a center and we've got a clear quality gap between top 6 and rest of depth. Little to no harm in seeing if a new coach can get him up to passable NHL bottom 6 center.

I'd probably wager the Rangers protect Howden simply because he's a center and we've got a clear quality gap between top 6 and rest of depth. Little to no harm in seeing if a new coach can get him up to passable NHL bottom 6 center.

I think Barron trumps Howden, G man. Howden's been given too much rope already, and even by me! LOL

Howden just isn't going to cut it here, and he also doesn't solve the toughness/grit issue. Barron looks bigger and tougher, and I believe he has a much bigger upside.

I'm waiting for Cuylle!! That guy looks like he may solve a few issues up front soon!

Gauthier should hope to be exposed and get a real chance in Seattle. He's been on 2 teams now who are thick with wing talent. He wasn't used properly here and his career will surely die here if he stays. He's not a 4th liner. He's just not.

I think Barron trumps Howden, G man. Howden's been given too much rope already, and even by me! LOL

Howden just isn't going to cut it here, and he also doesn't solve the toughness/grit issue. Barron looks bigger and tougher, and I believe he has a much bigger upside.

I'm waiting for Cuylle!! That guy looks like he may solve a few issues up front soon!

Oh, fur sure, but Barron doesn't need to be protected in the expansion draft.

Gauthier should hope to be exposed and get a real chance in Seattle. He's been on 2 teams now who are thick with wing talent. He wasn't used properly here and his career will surely die here if he stays. He's not a 4th liner. He's just not.

Maybe, but there's nothing to suggest he won't be buried there, too. Gourde, Dzingel, Neal, Johnson, Oshie, etc. are constants in most mock drafts. Chances are, even if they do take him, he's still a depth guy angling at a fourth-line role with the hopes of impressing and moving up in the lineup.

Maybe, but there's nothing to suggest he won't be buried there, too. Gourde, Dzingel, Neal, Johnson, Oshie, etc. are constants in most mock drafts. Chances are, even if they do take him, he's still a depth guy angling at a fourth-line role with the hopes of impressing and moving up in the lineup.

I'm sure the same thing was said about William Karlsson behind Marchessault, Haula, Eakin.

That's why you keep Gauthier. He can at least be a NHL player eventually. I think of Pouillot as a comparison. He's still young, his career isn't decided yet. He has the ability to be an NHL player where Howden does not. There are plenty of guys who have a problem with discipline early in their careers who figure it out. Gauthier is far and away the better asset than Howden IMO.

I'm sure the same thing was said about William Karlsson behind Marchessault, Haula, Eakin.

I mean, probably. No one really knew who Karlsson was or what he could do until he did it. I'm just saying, he's facing an uphill climb no matter where he goes between New York and Seattle.