• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Casey Cizikas

Keirik

Career over 50% from the dot, hits, is defensively responsible, takes away from the Islanders that don’t have much cap room, and even has a little offense in him. I’d look at him or Glendening and see who takes a 3 year deal first. Think you cant go wrong either way.

I think he was a bit overpaid on his last deal actually, so I'm not sure if he's "taking a discount" for the Islanders more than whoever signed him (Snow?) was absolute dogshit with managing money. That being said, I think he'd be a great addition to the roster, at the expense of Kevin Rooney. He's basically a cracked out, better version of Rooney in all facets of the game. No need to have both of them on the roster.

I think he was a bit overpaid on his last deal actually, so I'm not sure if he's "taking a discount" for the Islanders more than whoever signed him (Snow?) was absolute dogshit with managing money. That being said, I think he'd be a great addition to the roster, at the expense of Kevin Rooney. He's basically a cracked out, better version of Rooney in all facets of the game. No need to have both of them on the roster.

He might, but for the Rangers? Not many guys make that jump, and those who do are vilified for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think he’d have to be drastically over paid to make the move - and the Rangers need to avoid those types of contracts

Agreed. I feel like you have to pay the "rival tax" to get him, and I'm really not interested in that. I'm fine paying for bottom-six players, and I'm not even against the idea of unique and effective players making $2M-ish. But there's a very real limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not suggesting to overpay the guy by a lot but if the Isles aren't going to retain him and he is free to negotiate with everyone else, I definitely make the call. If he has a young family that, doesn't want to leave the area or something like that, we are a good option to him. Flat cap Era there aren't going to be a ton of takers that, are upticking

Good teams have a tendency to make players like Cizikas look good. He would probably come here and suck, be our bottom 6 doormat to complain about how he isn't doing anything.

Yup. Typically what happens when the Rangers pick up a guy from a rival. There's a lot of guys that came here to die. Lots. Almost all of them actually.

I think that’s a bit of a rough take. It’s not like he’s going to come here forgetting how to win a faceoff, hit, or play responsible 4th line minutes.

You must be new around here. I'll let Ozzy give you the rundown on what to expect moving forward as a Rangers fan and how Murphy's law might apply.

I think that’s a bit of a rough take. It’s not like he’s going to come here forgetting how to win a faceoff, hit, or play responsible 4th line minutes.

Name an ex Islander that came here and played as good as he did in his prime and didn't retire atleast 2 years later.

Name an ex Devil that didn't underachieve here. Or retire shortly after.

Flyer? Penguin?

Good teams have a tendency to make players like Cizikas look good. He would probably come here and suck, be our bottom 6 doormat to complain about how he isn't doing anything.

I'm surprised his name hasn't come up on these threads before, but I third the motion above. What would he do with the guys the Rangers have had on the 4th line of late? I think I'd take the Islanders 4th line as a package deal or not at all. He's already at $3.5m, which is rich for a 4th line center. And we wouldn't pay Fast $1.5 for three years?

It's true, you have to start somewhere in obtaining grit, and he's got it. His advanced stats on one on one puck battles are fantastic. I'd take him for several years at $2.5, but that's not going to happen.

Besides, we already have the next Cizikas in Howden.

Sports Illustrated shouldn't even try writing hockey articles. Their list of the top 30 free agents did not include Cizikas.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/the-top-30-unrestricted-free-agents-of-2021

Name an ex Islander that came here and played as good as he did in his prime and didn't retire atleast 2 years later.

Name an ex Devil that didn't underachieve here. Or retire shortly after.

Flyer? Penguin?

Jagr, Straka, Rozsival from Penguins, Sykora was fine here in his one year, our cup team had Gilbert and Healy from the Islanders, Lindros was nearly a ppg player here, Shanahan was fine here, Fedotenko was fine here and played for the Isles, Flyers, and Penguins all before being here……

I’m not even understanding the point of this at all. I’m suggesting bringing Cizikas for fourth line duty, not be a focal point of a top line. Hell technically Gomez was a 70 and nearly 60 point player in his two years on our team. I think you’re making way too big of a deal as to what sweater a guy put on before being here, especially in a 4th line role.

Career over 50% from the dot, hits, is defensively responsible, takes away from the Islanders that don’t have much cap room, and even has a little offense in him. I’d look at him or Glendening and see who takes a 3 year deal first. Think you cant go wrong either way.

I told all my Islander buddies that I'm kidnapping Cizikas for next season, so this is a done deal as far as I'm concerned, Big K!!!

Jagr, Straka, Rozsival from Penguins, Sykora was fine here in his one year, our cup team had Gilbert and Healy from the Islanders, Lindros was nearly a ppg player here, Shanahan was fine here, Fedotenko was fine here and played for the Isles, Flyers, and Penguins all before being here……

I’m not even understanding the point of this at all. I’m suggesting bringing Cizikas for fourth line duty, not be a focal point of a top line. Hell technically Gomez was a 70 and nearly 60 point player in his two years on our team. I think you’re making way too big of a deal as to what sweater a guy put on before being here, especially in a 4th line role.

I see your names and I raise you Holik, Driver, MacLean, Rupp,, Oliwa, Weekes,, Kasperitis, Pilon , Malakhov, Asham, Robitaille, Steven's, Samuelsson, Hatcher and likely a bunch more

Jagr was a steal and is a generational talent and all time great. He's definitely the exception as was Straka, whom surprised many with his play. Rozsival was hated, I couldn't stand him. Sykora was over rated IMO. Never liked him.

Gilbert was 175 years old and didn't really contribute much. I'll give you Healy although he became a career backup here after carrying the Islanders through the playoffs the year prior.

Lindros was good but had to retire early and we worried every time he touched the puck.

Though he started as a Devil, I'll always consider Shanahan a Blue or a Wing..plus he was here what 2 years and retired due to concussions sustained as a Ranger.

Give ya Fedotenko.

I'll never accept Gomez as a Ranger, much less a productive one. BTW he is hilarious, if you haven't already, check out his YouTube videos and his Instagram videos. Guy is so funny.

I see your names and I raise you Holik, Driver, MacLean, Rupp,, Oliwa, Weekes,, Kasperitis, Pilon , Malakhov, Asham, Robitaille, Steven's, Samuelsson, Hatcher and likely a bunch more

Jagr was a steal and is a generational talent and all time great. He's definitely the exception as was Straka, whom surprised many with his play. Rozsival was hated, I couldn't stand him. Sykora was over rated IMO. Never liked him.

Gilbert was 175 years old and didn't really contribute much. I'll give you Healy although he became a career backup here after carrying the Islanders through the playoffs the year prior.

Lindros was good but had to retire early and we worried every time he touched the puck.

Though he started as a Devil, I'll always consider Shanahan a Blue or a Wing..plus he was here what 2 years and retired due to concussions sustained as a Ranger.

Give ya Fedotenko.

I'll never accept Gomez as a Ranger, much less a productive one. BTW he is hilarious, if you haven't already, check out his YouTube videos and his Instagram videos. Guy is so funny.

The point isn’t that some players fail here. It’s that some do and some succeed just like you can say from every other team. And again, we are talking about a guy for fourth line and role player minutes. I’m not buying some idea that Cizikas wouldn’t be able to be effective here because Bobby Holik was overpaid 20 years ago. I’m also not suggesting the Rangers write him a blank check. I just don’t believe the Islanders cant keep him and that means he hits the market in a flat cap era. Meanwhile we are a team looking to upgrade our 4th line and he wouldn’t even need to move his family.

Btw, verbeek scored 40 here too. :)

The point isn’t that some players fail here. It’s that some do and some succeed just like you can say from every other team. And again, we are talking about a guy for fourth line and role player minutes. I’m not buying some idea that Cizikas wouldn’t be able to be effective here because Bobby Holik was overpaid 20 years ago. I’m also not suggesting the Rangers write him a blank check. I just don’t believe the Islanders cant keep him and that means he hits the market in a flat cap era. Meanwhile we are a team looking to upgrade our 4th line and he wouldn’t even need to move his family.

Btw, verbeek scored 40 here too. :)

I'm so intrigued by how the Isles manage this cap situation. They're up against it in the worst way here and have key deals to work out for Beauvillier, Sorokin, and Pelech. I guess Seattle will likely do them a favor and take some salary - Varlamov or one of Bailey/Nelson seems primed to go here either as the pick or in a side-deal.