• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Name Ryan Martin AGM of Rangers; GM of Hartford Wolfpack

Phil

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when it comes to AHL its not the Calder cups that im concern about, although a winning atmosphere does not hurt. How are they developing the youts?

Tomas Tatar, Gustav Nyqvist, Tyler Bertuzzi, Petr Mrazek, Taro Hirose, Givani Smith, Michael Rasmussen, and Filip Hronek have all spent time with Grand Rapids en route to the NHL. Moritz Seider, Jonatan Berggren, Lucas Raymond, and Joe Veleno aren't far behind.

So I'm gonna go with "well."

one cup final appearance. i concede.

In 21 years.

I believe it was Sather who once said, "If I had the Rangers money, I'd win the cup every year." And then he proceeded to buy every aging star in sight, miss the playoffs for 5 years in a row and pay Bobby Holik an astronomical price to be the 1st line center. In some ways he was saved from himself by the cap.

In his 21 years they've rebuilt more than they've been to the finals.

They don't need to be hiring overpriced "known names" to be the assistant GM. I mean, who tf cares who the assistant GM is.

In 21 years.

I believe it was Sather who once said, "If I had the Rangers money, I'd win the cup every year." And then he proceeded to buy every aging star in sight, miss the playoffs for 5 years in a row and pay Bobby Holik an astronomical price to be the 1st line center. In some ways he was saved from himself by the cap.

They don't need to be hiring overpriced "known names" to be the assistant GM. I mean, who tf cares who the assistant GM is.

aint that the truth

In 21 years.

Generally, maybe, but often these are preludes to future managers' roles. Both Gorton and Drury were AGMs that climbed the corporate ladder, succeeding their respective bosses.

Tomas Tatar, Gustav Nyqvist, Tyler Bertuzzi, Petr Mrazek, Taro Hirose, Givani Smith, Michael Rasmussen, and Filip Hronek have all spent time with Grand Rapids en route to the NHL. Moritz Seider, Jonatan Berggren, Lucas Raymond, and Joe Veleno aren't far behind.

So I'm gonna go with "well."

There's like 2 brand names in that list, and Tatar is a playoff bust.

Meh they only started rebuilding 3-5 years ago really after making the playoffs and picking high for 25 straight seasons. Similar to the Rangers you wont see many quality prospects coming out of that system until probably now through the next few seasons.

Obviously I dont know the first thing about this guy other than what I have read but the articles posted also mention he's a cap expert who has been instrumental in all contract negotiations. This can only be a good thing for the Rangers who cant seem to ever sign anyone to a fair value deal.

I mean, maybe. Seider, Raymond, and Veleno are all projected to be impact NHL players. Nyqvist was quite good for a while. Bertuzzi is a legitimate player. But the point isn't that they're drafting stud-after-stud, but that it's pretty clear Martin isn't some placeholder, but someone who clearly can help to develop NHL pieces. Not all of them will be superstars, but you have to fill out a roster with meaningful players.

I mean, maybe. Seider, Raymond, and Veleno are all projected to be impact NHL players. Nyqvist was quite good for a while. Bertuzzi is a legitimate player. But the point isn't that they're drafting stud-after-stud, but that it's pretty clear Martin isn't some placeholder, but someone who clearly can help to develop NHL pieces. Not all of them will be superstars, but you have to fill out a roster with meaningful players.
Fair point. Hartford can't get worse.

That, too. That he was able to win two Calder Cups is probably the most impressive thing about his resume. The Rangers' development pipeline needs a lot of help. There's been very little steady graduating going on the last number of years. Fast might be their biggest AHL-to-NHL success story, which is kind of pathetic.

That, too. That he was able to win two Calder Cups is probably the most impressive thing about his resume. The Rangers' development pipeline needs a lot of help. There's been very little steady graduating going on the last number of years. Fast might be their biggest AHL-to-NHL success story, which is kind of pathetic.

But you have to factor in that while the Rangers were good they didn't have any 1st or 2nd round picks to send through Hartford, when they went into rebuild mode all the 1st rounders went straight to the NHL, and they had a penchant for take Euro players that developed in Europe instead of the AHL.

But you have to factor in that while the Rangers were good they didn't have any 1st or 2nd round picks to send through Hartford, when they went into rebuild mode all the 1st rounders went straight to the NHL, and they had a penchant for take Euro players that developed in Europe instead of the AHL.

now YOU have to factor in there were hundreds of other guys, and still... nothing.

Again, check out Tampa. All those NON-1st and 2nd round picks that spent time in the AHL to become important NHL players on a cup winning teams.

Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Hedman, McDonagh, and Segrachev played a total of 26 games on Tampa's AHL team.

Let's have this convo again when Laf, Fox, Kakko, and Lundkvist have a decade in the league and are joined by guys that come through the AHL like Ottman, Cuylle, etc

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Again? We’ve had it for almost a decade!

Hopefully more support will come than they’ve gotten in the past! :cheers:

(Although there’s less room to make the NHL roster than we’ve probably ever seen)

Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Hedman, McDonagh, and Segrachev played a total of 26 games on Tampa's AHL team.

Let's have this convo again when Laf, Fox, Kakko, and Lundkvist have a decade in the league and are joined by guys that come through the AHL like Ottman, Cuylle, etc

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sure, but they've still found some real impact in rounds outside the first, and their AHL club is consistently driving new talent to back fill holes in their roster. They just lost their entire third line in a single off season and they've already got Mathieu Joseph (fourth round) penciled in on it. Colton Ross (another fourth-rounder) is also going to back fill full time.

This isn't an issue of always finding elite talent, but of finding enough talent that you can afford losses/trades without gutting your franchise. That is what they're gonna need out of Hartford going forward. SO, yes, Othmann, Cuylle, Barron, maybe Henriksson, Schneider, Reunanen, Robertson — you need/want a bunch of these guys to find roles after stints in the AHL.

Neither are really Hartford guys, though.

Definitely not. They're examples of finding elite talent late. If you're looking for soldiers, keep looking, because that's exactly the point here. They really haven't done a great job finding those guys and building them up internally.

Sure, but they've still found some real impact in rounds outside the first, and their AHL club is consistently driving new talent to back fill holes in their roster. They just lost their entire third line in a single off season and they've already got Mathieu Joseph (fourth round) penciled in on it. Colton Ross (another fourth-rounder) is also going to back fill full time.

This isn't an issue of always finding elite talent, but of finding enough talent that you can afford losses/trades without gutting your franchise. That is what they're gonna need out of Hartford going forward. SO, yes, Othmann, Cuylle, Barron, maybe Henriksson, Schneider, Reunanen, Robertson — you need/want a bunch of these guys to find roles after stints in the AHL.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Tampa has elite talent driving the bus. That elite talent was drafted in the 1st/2nd round in '08, '09, and '11. Now a decade later it is easy to fill in role players.

When Laf, Kakko, and Fox are ready to drive the bus, there will be plenty of role players to fill in. Barron is already in Hartford, Pajuniemi is coming over, Berard, Cuylle, Othmann, Grubbe.

This has nothing to do with what Hartford produced while the Rangers were trading away all their picks and prospects while making cup runs. By the way key pieces of those cups runs like Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan, Kreider, Fast, JT Miller, Zuccarello, and Giradri all played 50+ games in Hartford.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Tampa has elite talent driving the bus. That elite talent was drafted in the 1st/2nd round in '08, '09, and '11. Now a decade later it is easy to fill in role players.

When Laf, Kakko, and Fox are ready to drive the bus, there will be plenty of role players to fill in. Barron is already in Hartford, Pajuniemi is coming over, Berard, Cuylle, Othmann, Grubbe.

This has nothing to do with what Hartford produced while the Rangers were trading away all their picks and prospects while making cup runs. By the way key pieces of those cups runs like Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan, Kreider, Fast, JT Miller, Zuccarello, and Giradri all played 50+ games in Hartford.

Damn. It's almost like facts are getting in the way of fueling the hate fire. It's so annoying when that happens.

Well, sort of. They're doing it through a combination of later-round picks and cheap free agents. But, yes, the Rangers really drove the cupboards bare during that run.