• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Name Ryan Martin AGM of Rangers; GM of Hartford Wolfpack

Phil

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say who will be able option for Hartford until after camp, but I'd imagine names like Barron, Gauthier, and Pajuniemi are all options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wouldn’t Gauthier be required to go through waivers? I can see someone grabbing him if he does.

Probably. I haven't looked. Lots of guys just like him go on waivers just before the season starts. It's a risk, but it's also Gauthier. It's not like they're waiving Kravtsov.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Tampa model is the gold standard - get your elite talent during your dry years and fill the gaps.

That said - you can't divorce Tampa's model from the fact that they do two things very, very well that other teams just don't for whatever reason.

1 - Their AHL team is a talent nurturing machine and the Lightning have no aversion to using that team as an incubator for as long as necessary. Here's a short list of Crunch players since 2015 who have since made NHL impacts:

Vladislav Namestnikov

Jake Dotchin

Yanni Gourde

Jonathan Marchessault

Anthony Cirelli

Tye McGinn

Daniel Walcott

Slater Koekkoek

Adam Erne

Tony DeAngelo

Luke Witkowski

Connor Ingram

Mitchell Stephens

Erik Cernak

Carter Verhaeghe

Ross Colton

Mathieu Joseph

Cal Foote

Alex Volkov

Brett Howden

Libor Hajek

and still to come - Boris Katchouk, Alexander Barre-Boulet, Taylor Raddysh

That is quite a talent pipeline for six years of work, even if some of those players are clear depth players.

2 - The Lightning are EXCEPTIONAL at scouting non-traditional talent in the mid-late rounds and beyond. Cirelli and Point were third rounders. Joseph and Colton were 4ths. Paquette, Dotchin, and Gusev were all late rounders in 2012. In 2011, they pulled Kucherov in the late 2nd and Palat in the 7th. Gourde was an undrafted NCAA add.

They've got an infrastructure to nurture talent. That's what Yzerman is doing in Detroit and it's why poaching someone like Ryan Martin matters so much.

• Like 1