• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Approves Jersey Ads for 2022-23 Season

Phil

I'm sure the "ads on boards" folks make similar comments. And then the ads went on the ice, scoreboards, glass, helmets, named divisions, we have the Cold FX Leadership Award... I know you desperately want history on your side here. But it's really not.

they have the standpoint that this is the first step, when its the first step of the final stage.

Goal posts shifting...

Folks will sell every piece of available real estate as long as it has broadcast value, hard stop. If you're denying this you've been blind to advertiser trends for the past 25 years. This is really hardly debatable.

By the way, NBA sponsorship revenue alone is almost TRIPLE the NHL.

"Overall, the NBA ranks a close second in IEG’s North American professional sports standings, falling just short of the NFL’s $1.62 billion, but ahead of Major League Baseball’s (MLB) $1.1 billion and the National Hockey League’s (NHL) revenues of $676 million."

https://insidersport.com/2021/06/29/nba-sets-record-1-46bn-sponsorship-revenue/

Sure, because it's a more popular league. Comparing their revenue isn't an apples to apples experience. We'd need to know more about what their respective budgets are. How much did they lose due to the pandemic?

Also, the fact the NBA also doesn't look like the Swiss D-league is, again, proof that your foreboding doesn't comport to reality (until it does). "Folks will sell every piece of available real estate as long as it has broadcast value, hard stop."

If this were as undenible as you say, why do NBA uniforms look like this:

NikeNews_Jerseys_NBAClassicEdition_2021-22_Group2_native_1600.jpg?1628094544

And not like this:

nba_ads.jpg?raw=1

Because I don't know about you, but I see a fuck load of "available real estate" with "broadcast value" going completely unused here.

Sure, because it's a more popular league. Comparing their revenue isn't an apples to apples experience. We'd need to know more about what their respective budgets are. How much did they lose due to the pandemic?

Also, the fact the NBA also doesn't look like the Swiss D-league is, again, proof that your foreboding doesn't comport to reality (until it does). "Folks will sell every piece of available real estate as long as it has broadcast value, hard stop."

If this were as undenible as you say, why do NBA uniforms look like this:

NikeNews_Jerseys_NBAClassicEdition_2021-22_Group2_native_1600.jpg?1628094544

And not like this:

nba_ads.jpg?raw=1

Because I don't know about you, but I see a fuck load of "available real estate" with "broadcast value" going completely unused here.

Phil... It's been 3 years for the NBA. Let's talk in 6, 9, 12 years.

You can't deny that once ads show up, they keep going. That's been proven. What I'm saying is if you're OK with 1 ad you better be OK with 100. Because once they start they don't stop. The Euro leagues are a proof point, they don't defend your position at all. Especially with more shut downs and closures looming.

You can't say "I'm OK cuz it's 1 ad"... Because they just showed you it's never 1 ad. In one year they went from boards to helmets to naming divisions to ads on jerseys.

The excuse is always "They need revenue!"

Well no shit, so stop telling me "it can't get that bad"... Because it can.

I work for a branding company, lol.

What makes me wet is a rising salary cap. If this achieves, it, splish splash, baby.

oh my bad

MogoSME has over 30-years experience providing award-winning branding, creative and digital marketing solutions across all channels to clients in sports, financial services, higher education, arts and entertainment. Together with Learfield IMG College, we bring the passion and loyalty of college sports fans to national and local sponsors through creative, data-driven campaigns across multiple channels and platforms

When you click on the website, the first thing that comes up is about marketing.

Phil... It's been 3 years for the NBA. Let's talk in 6, 9, 12 years.

You can't deny that once ads show up, they keep going. That's been proven. What I'm saying is if you're OK with 1 ad you better be OK with 100. Because once they start they don't stop. The Euro leagues are a proof point, they don't defend your position at all. Especially with more shut downs and closures looming.

You can't say "I'm OK cuz it's 1 ad"... Because they just showed you it's never 1 ad. In one year they went from boards to helmets to naming divisions to ads on jerseys.

The excuse is always "They need revenue!"

Well no shit, so stop telling me "it can't get that bad"... Because it can.

Not sure I’ll be able to watch if it becomes like the euros

oh my bad

When you click on the website, the first thing that comes up is about marketing.

No, the first thing that comes up is "award-winning branding." The second is "creative." The third is "digital marketing solutions." ;)

Not sure I’ll be able to watch if it becomes like the euros

I'll watch, and I'll say the uniforms look like ass. But I won't stop watching.

My point is only for the folks saying "You're all complaining over one ad", because it's never just one ad.

Not even close comparable but ok

I get what you are saying, but I just don't see it getting like the Euro jerseys. Even if it grows to 5 or 6 ads, I think/hope it would be done with transparent backgrounds so you don't have differently colored squares all over. I'll retract that view if I see different on this first ad they are adding though...

I get what you are saying, but I just don't see it getting like the Euro jerseys. Even if it grows to 5 or 6 ads, I think/hope it would be done with transparent backgrounds so you don't have differently colored squares all over. I'll retract that view if I see different on this first ad they are adding though...

Agreed, and that's the key. Even if there's additional encroachment, which I agree is plausible, it will still be gradual, and as tasteful as they can keep it. There are only a handful of helmet decals, for example, that are gaudy (Philly). I don't envision the NHL ever ceding ground to Euro-style plastering. Not even international soccer did that, and they're arguably the poster child for front-and-center advertising.

Arsenal have exactly two. Likely because the Premier League maintains strict enforcement on volume, sizing, placement, etc. Just as the NHL would. Just as the NBA would.

It's why I keep coming back to say that we need to compare the NHL to it's actual peers, not to leagues in Europe. The NBA is a closer peer comparable to the NHL than the KHL is despite not even being the same sport.

Agreed, and that's the key. Even if there's additional encroachment, which I agree is plausible, it will still be gradual, and as tasteful as they can keep it. There are only a handful of helmet decals, for example, that are gaudy (Philly). I don't envision the NHL ever ceding ground to Euro-style plastering. Not even international soccer did that, and they're arguably the poster child for front-and-center advertising.

Arsenal have exactly two. Likely because the Premier League maintains strict enforcement on volume, sizing, placement, etc. Just as the NHL would. Just as the NBA would.

It's why I keep coming back to say that we need to compare the NHL to it's actual peers, not to leagues in Europe. The NBA is a closer peer comparable to the NHL than the KHL is despite not even being the same sport.

How is the KHL not a peer to the NHL, but Premier League or NBA is? Because of revenue? No, NBA and PL >>>>>>>>>> NHL in terms of revenue.

So what is the criteria for calling a league peer?

I’m hoping the same :cheers:

How is the KHL not a peer to the NHL, but Premier League or NBA is? Because of revenue? No, NBA and PL >>>>>>>>>> NHL in terms of revenue.

So what is the criteria for calling a league peer?

Revenue, yes, as well as audience.

The NBA is a better peer because the two leagues operate in lockstep due to sharing multiple buildings and running their seasons largely in tandem. The NBA is clearly much more profitable, but is actually closer in revenue to the NHL than the KHL is to the NHL (if you believe Russian finances).

The KHL generated approximately $236.95 million in 2020.

The NHL generated approximately $4.4 billion in 2020.

The NBA generated appxoimately $8.3 billion in 2020.

In other words, the KHL generates 5.4% of what the NHL does, whereas the NHL generates 53% of what the NBA does.

Revenue, yes, as well as audience.

The NBA is a better peer because the two leagues operate in lockstep due to sharing multiple buildings and running their seasons largely in tandem. The NBA is clearly much more profitable, but is actually closer in revenue to the NHL than the KHL is to the NHL (if you believe Russian finances).

The KHL generated approximately $236.95 million in 2020.

The NHL generated approximately $4.4 billion in 2020.

The NBA generated appxoimately $8.3 billion in 2020.

In other words, the KHL generates 5.4% of what the NHL does, whereas the NHL generates 53% of what the NBA does.

It's not that simple, the NBA and NHL aren't comparable because as stated, the NBA makes 3x what the NHL makes in Sponsorship dollars.

I have no interest in doing this, but to evaluate it properly you'd have to look at what each league makes, their operating costs, and their sponsorship revenue to determine how much that little tiny NBA ad makes vs helmet ads and jersey ads, to see what the real value is. If, proportionally, it takes the NHL 3-4 sponsorship placements to equal, proportionally, what the NBA makes from one tiny logo...Then we can see if they are peers.

Agreed, and I don't have interest in doing it either, but my guess is we'd still see closer linkage between the NHL and NBA than between the NHL and KHL because of the footprint each league has. Travel, alone, has to be an insane overhead in the KHL. Some teams are litearlly 5,000 miles apart.

Either way though, we share a lot of the same concerns. Just not to the same granular level. My primary concern is league revenue and it's impact on the cap, but I'm also concerned with the integrity of the uniforms. If that means four ads instead of two, my line line isn't necessarily specific to whatever that number is, but relative to the size, placement, and color.

Agreed, and I don't have interest in doing it either, but my guess is we'd still see closer linkage between the NHL and NBA than between the NHL and KHL because of the footprint each league has. Travel, alone, has to be an insane overhead in the KHL. Some teams are litearlly 5,000 miles apart.

Either way though, we share a lot of the same concerns. Just not to the same granular level. My primary concern is league revenue and it's impact on the cap, but I'm also concerned with the integrity of the uniforms. If that means four ads instead of two, my line line isn't necessarily specific to whatever that number is, but relative to the size, placement, and color.

Agreed there.