• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Approves Jersey Ads for 2022-23 Season

Phil

I don't like it. That being said as long as its kept minimal then it is what it is. Also as long as retail isn't sold with the ads then its really whatever. Which apparently is the case. Not that I ever buy retail jerseys, I prefer the "shirsey" lol. But point still stands.

Which will also never have a sponsor logo, unless it's a presenting sponsor event like the Winter Classic or a Stadium Series game.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/32049771/inside-nhl-decision-put-ads-jerseys

What will the ads look like?

The NHL jersey ads will be slightly larger than the NBA's. They'll fit into a 3-inch-by-3.5-inch space on the sweaters. Rather than a square patch, they'll use whatever logo the sponsor requests, provided it fits.

"That's the allowable space. We believe we'll have our partners in that 3-by-3.5-inch space," Wachtel said.

How many ads will the jerseys have?

One. Surprisingly, it wasn't the NHL that pushed for the restriction to one jersey sponsor, but rather the feedback it received from teams that established that standard.

"There's the law of diminishing returns," Wachtel said. "The more logos you put on there, the less value there might be. So the clubs wanted to go with the one ad. That's what we'll have for the foreseeable future. There was never a discussion about multiple [ads]. It's one brand on the sweater."

But Bettman has also bristled at the idea of ad saturation on hockey sweaters, according to Morehouse.

"Gary's never going to let anything be put on our jerseys that's going to make them look like NASCAR or European league hockey," Morehouse said. "Gary's been very hesitant and very systematic in how he's approached this."

One logo per sweater. Carefully worded.

1 on sweater.

1 on pants.

1 on shin guards.

1 on gloves.

Sure, that's entirely plausible, but I'd argue that's still within the realm of acceptable and would stay true to them not looking "like NASCAR or European league hockey."

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...