• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

You're Given One GM Do Over for the Rangers — What Do You Change?

Phil

They obviously wouldn't have Panarin first. Probably not Zucc at the dollar figures the Wild paid. Second you know you cant actually do that. Who knows if ADA puts up top points, Stattenkirk probably gets removed in one way or another. and if Shesty came over, he isn't getting large bucks as a backup, or he stays in Russia likely until last year playing his first NHL season. I think youre taking what im saying and running it a bit more than im intending. I'm not saying zero people ever get traded. I'm saying it didnt need a full rebuild. A retool of new coach + some additions and some subtractions. Not every single player exactly the same + every player we have now sans Kakko and ALF.

No I get it. I have the same thought process when I said keep Gaborik a few years earlier than your move. Main difference is Lundqvist was younger & better. By time they got to “the letter”, it was already too late. They could have made a big move, but there still would have been a ton of turnover. Retool vs a rebuild, which I’m usually for

To me it’s the worst decision because the end goal of any team is to win the Stanley cup. That easily was the closest team to actually achieving that in our lifetime sans 94 for those old enough to appreciate it. There were some key guys with cup final experience on the team, some younger guys that were up and coming that also had a taste of Stanley cup playoffs, and a few younger guys coming into their own. Plus one of the greatest Ranger of all time in Henrik still chasing a cup that as an organization we said we weren’t going to chase a cup during his final few years so let us know where u want us to send your bags to.

Look that’s great we have hope for our future. We landed on two fantastic picks with our suckery. However, we are nearly 30 years removed from a championship and we keep saying “can’t wait until we rid ourselves of Trouba and Kreider which will be the 10 year anniversary of making a final and losing. We aren’t exactly the pinnacle of success and I’d prefer we just kept faith in the only guys that sniffed success than Quinning for a few years amid punching and sucking.

I understand the context, I still think it's far from the worst organizational move the Rangers have ever made.

Heck, if they drafted Tarasenko they may not even had to ever send that letter, or they may have sent it with a Cup under their belts.

No I get it. I have the same thought process when I said keep Gaborik a few years earlier than your move. Main difference is Lundqvist was younger & better. By time they got to “the letter”, it was already too late. They could have made a big move, but there still would have been a ton of turnover. Retool vs a rebuild, which I’m usually for

That works too and likely by 1200 in Gaborik authentic jerseys get more life lol

I understand the context, I still think it's far from the worst organizational move the Rangers have ever made.

Heck, if they drafted Tarasenko they may not even had to ever send that letter, or they may have sent it with a Cup under their belts.

Fair enough. I think that’s a possibility as well of course

To me it’s the worst decision because the end goal of any team is to win the Stanley cup. That easily was the closest team to actually achieving that in our lifetime sans 94 for those old enough to appreciate it. There were some key guys with cup final experience on the team, some younger guys that were up and coming that also had a taste of Stanley cup playoffs, and a few younger guys coming into their own. Plus one of the greatest Ranger of all time in Henrik still chasing a cup that as an organization we said we weren’t going to chase a cup during his final few years so let us know where u want us to send your bags to.

Look that’s great we have hope for our future. We landed on two fantastic picks with our suckery. However, we are nearly 30 years removed from a championship and we keep saying “can’t wait until we rid ourselves of Trouba and Kreider which will be the 10 year anniversary of making a final and losing. We aren’t exactly the pinnacle of success and I’d prefer we just kept faith in the only guys that sniffed success than Quinning for a few years amid punching and sucking.

I know we're in 2021 and rapidly approaching 2022. Given that, holy fuck, it never really registered that it is almost 10 years since the 2014 loss. Could have sworn it was like 3 years ago lol

I know we're in 2021 and rapidly approaching 2022. Given that, holy fuck, it never really registered that it is almost 10 years since the 2014 loss. Could have sworn it was like 3 years ago lol

Depressing right? I was months into dating some new girl that I ended up buying a house with and marrying. Lol. So much has changed except still no cup…

6 years for Goodrow.

In all seriousness, it's tough for me to say because, even deals that didn't work out the way we had hoped, im sure I was among those feeling optimistic about it.

The Smith deal? Loved it. thought that was a great signing. Even thought Girardi's contract was a bargain at the time.

Deals I vividly remember hating. Signing Boyle instead of Stralman who got the same salary (albeit in state-tax free tampa, but still). Stralman was much better than Boyle that year. I also remember thinking the Redden signing sucked, but mostly because we also kept Rozsival that same UFA. we spent big money on both when (at the time) we only needed one of them (really didnt need either)

I'm inclined to find a draft pick though. More recently, imagine if we reached a little bit and took Suzuki or Necas over Anderson. Either of those guys means we move Strome sooner and our Center situation is settled.

Or reach back a bit and say tarasenko over McIlrath, or Giroux over Sanguinetti. Lets not go into 2003