• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Henrik Lundqvist Officially Retiring; Rangers Will Retire His Number This Season

Phil

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not that anyone could have predicted the future, but its a goddamn travesty that this man signed a contract with another team

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20, but the way it worked out sucks. At least he never suited up.

Rangers should bend over backwards to give him a FO job. He should be in the owners box celebrating a cup win, having still played a major role.

absolutely - do not make the mistake of retiring this number in front of nobody. man deserves far better than that

Absolutely.

I always hated the monikers of the King and all that. I always swear clear of nick names. But today is the exception to my rule.

Lundqvist was the King. Just a class act and a nice guy . He loved and respected the game more than anyone I can think of from his generation. I hope he can stick around and work for the organization, or for MSG.

We salute you Henrik! Truly a King of NY. Thanks for giving us all hope during the years you played!

I thought I was only gonna go through this once with Eddie....

Dude, after watching those tributes, I'm broken right now. I grew up getting to see the Leetch-Messier-Graves-Richter Rangers win when I was too young to appreciate it. I remember being sad when the fuckin Flyers beat us in 97, but as I grew older and the Rangers grew more...frustrating, I stopped watching as much. I loved the sport, loved the game, always liked the team, but it was painful, especially with the Devils just winning all the fucking time. And when they came back post-lockout, I remember sitting in my dorm with this, like...21 inch CRT I had hooked up and thanking my lucky stars the Sabres weren't on so I could watch the games. I remember watching Henrik in that first game against the Devils and thinking "wait, where did this guy come from and why is he already better than Weekes?"

Henrik brought me back to loving this team. He made me think we could win every goddamn game. He and Jagr re-ignited my fandom post-lockout in a way that I can't even explain. He gave all of us 15 years of literally bottomless hope that this team could succeed. Watching him play was magical in a way I hope I can explain to my son when he's old enough to ask about the history of the team.

Dude, after watching those tributes, I'm broken right now. I grew up getting to see the Leetch-Messier-Graves-Richter Rangers win when I was too young to appreciate it. I remember being sad when the fuckin Flyers beat us in 97, but as I grew older and the Rangers grew more...frustrating, I stopped watching as much. I loved the sport, loved the game, always liked the team, but it was painful, especially with the Devils just winning all the fucking time. And when they came back post-lockout, I remember sitting in my dorm with this, like...21 inch CRT I had hooked up and thanking my lucky stars the Sabres weren't on so I could watch the games. I remember watching Henrik in that first game against the Devils and thinking "wait, where did this guy come from and why is he already better than Weekes?"

Henrik brought me back to loving this team. He made me think we could win every goddamn game. He and Jagr re-ignited my fandom post-lockout in a way that I can't even explain. He gave all of us 15 years of literally bottomless hope that this team could succeed. Watching him play was magical in a way I hope I can explain to my son when he's old enough to ask about the history of the team.

I can totally feel where you're coming from, G!

I was 4 years old in 1971 when I went to my first game at MSG with my dad. Everyone loved Eddie Giacomin and they always chanted his name when he came up with a big save. It was easy to fall in love with that group. They had guys like Gilbert, Tkaczuck, Ratelle, Park...etc.

I remember one day I came home from school in 1975 and my dad told me that he wasn't a Ranger anymore. I felt like I was going to puke, that's how sick I felt over it. I fucking absolutely ADORED that team, and especially Giacomin. It's all I knew or cared about back then. After he came back to MSG with a fucking RED WINGS jersey on...wearing #35!!! (What the fuck!!), the crowd gave him a 5 minute standing ovation and you couldn't even hear the National anthem over it.

I could give a flying fuck about the Rangers that night, and I actually rooted for the Red Wings to win the damn game....which they did. I think they won 6-4, and every save Eddie made, they chanted his name....LOUD too!!! I remember when one of the Rangers scored, I forget who, but he got fucking booed!!! :rofl:

I never forgot that crushing feeling of losing the player that made such an impact on the game for me. I think it was the first time in my life I realized that nothing/no one is permanent, and eventually everything and everyone can move on.

I'm glad I got to see Hank's entire career. It was a pleasure to watch the guy carry this franchise on his back, and it's a shame he didn't win a Cup here, but I think you'll see after all the smoke is cleared that he won a lot more than a Cup in NY. He won us!! ...and that's even tougher to do than win a Stanley Cup I think, because we're the most ferocious, and demanding fan base in the league, by a mile.

I'm actually glad I never got to see him play as a Capital...it'd bring back too many bad memories of '75....He's a Rangers lifer. You know him as THE KING....and he'll always be! :cheers: