• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gallant, Drury Expected To Name Captain This Season

Phil

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Probably but you need a head coach to name a captain and we haven’t had one in years. 

Sure we did.

He's the guy who was coaching when Zib, Strome, Panarin, Buch, ADA and Fox all had career years and Fox even won a Norris!

You not acknowledging something doesn't mean it didn't happen. ?

5 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Probably but you need a head coach to name a captain and we haven’t had one in years. 

I can't see Gallant picking Kreider though, Big K! 

Kreider to me....sometimes I think he's missing a chromosome or something.  LOL

I really didn't think they'd go with Strome.  That would be surprising...not undeserving, but to me that would be a bit of a shocker.  I really like Strome and what he's done here so far, but I think I'd be more in line with giving it to Fox.  He's going to be a Ranger pretty much his whole career I think, so why not just cut to the chase and give it to him. 

Trouba???   eh....I'm not feeling that one anymore either.  I'd take Strome over Trouba.....all day!

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sure we did.

He's the guy who was coaching when Zib, Strome, Panarin, Buch, ADA and Fox all had career years and Fox even won a Norris!

You not acknowledging something doesn't mean it didn't happen. ?

Yeah, it's pretty universally accepted that the coach is the captain until a team has a viable candidate step up. Not just practically in the sense of "leading" the team every day, but being the face of it. Quinn literally said something about this out loud last year, I think, talking about how he'd love to not be the face of the team any more, but that they need someone to step up and take the reigns.

I still feel that there is really no way for fans to know who should be captain and who shouldn't be unless a player comes out and says something like Panarin did.  The coach and the players all know who the candidates should be.  I'm sure when they announce who it is, every one of them will be right behind that guy.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah, it's pretty universally accepted that the coach is the captain until a team has a viable candidate step up. Not just practically in the sense of "leading" the team every day, but being the face of it. Quinn literally said something about this out loud last year, I think, talking about how he'd love to not be the face of the team any more, but that they need someone to step up and take the reigns.

Well, Quinn definitely got his wish. 

24 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I still feel that there is really no way for fans to know who should be captain and who shouldn't be unless a player comes out and says something like Panarin did.  The coach and the players all know who the candidates should be.  I'm sure when they announce who it is, every one of them will be right behind that guy.  

Facts.

33 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Yep. And yet the internet will flood with negativity no matter who they pick. The team knows. The coach knows. The GM knows.

We only get to see them through the eyes of journalists on the practice ice or on our TV screens for 60 minutes every few nights. We have no clue.

Edited by ThirtyONE
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

The vets here have either not shown enough in the past to warrant it or haven’t wanted it. I don’t want someone to wear the C just to wear it. If it’s Kreider or Trouba, it will suck to have them wear it a season or 2 and then either have them moved or want them out.

I hope they think long term here. Give it to someone who can wear it for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Just now, Kevin said:

If it's Kreider are you going to be pissed?

Nah, I'm not gonna be pissed, but I think it's a waste to make Kreider the captain.  I think there are far better choices than him.  Especially when he goes on his mid season disappearing journeys, we'll need someone to grab the bull by the balls.

1 minute ago, ThirtyONE said:

Kreider is the longest tenured Ranger. He knows success. He's taken players under his wing and has been outspoken about his feeling about what he can bring to the job. 

At this point, I think he's the front runner.

If he was going to be Captain, he'd have been Captain by now in my opinion.

He's also not Strome, so therefore a bad choice.

• LOL 1

9 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Kreider is the longest tenured Ranger. He knows success. He's taken players under his wing and has been outspoken about his feeling about what he can bring to the job. 

At this point, I think he's the front runner.

yes but Reeves taught Kravtsov how to kick Wilson's ass.