• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gallant, Drury Expected To Name Captain This Season

Phil

I mean listen, if no one stepped up for it, it is what it is. I never understood the notion of Kreider, Trouba or Zibanejad being labeled as favorites for it based on the fact that we’ve had the opening for awhile, they’ve all been here for awhile and none of the 3 stepped up in the past to grab it so what makes now different? That’s kind of why I wasn’t opposed to giving it to a kid like Lafreniere, who can the wear it for the next 15 years (hopefully) and grow with it around a group of veterans.

But to have 6 (SIX!) players wearing a letter for a team that no one stepped up enough to warrant wearing the C is just very confusing to me. And to be honest, having a quarter of team wearing letters takes away the importance IMO.

Edited by RichieNextel305

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I mean listen, if no one stepped up for it, it is what it is. I never understood the notion of Kreider, Trouba or Zibanejad being labeled as favorites for it based on the fact that we’ve had the opening for awhile, they’ve all been here for awhile and none of the 3 stepped up in the past to grab it so what makes now different? 

But to have 6 (SIX!) players wearing a letter for a team that no one stepped up enough to warrant wearing the C is just very confusing to me. And to be honest, having a quarter of team wearing letters takes away the importance IMO.

Well you know they have to have 3 home alternates and 3 away alternates......so everyone that is possible captain material gets a participation trophy.

Now if we are going to dissect the alternates, Goodrow over Fox?  

As Oprah would do.....You get an A.....You get an A.....You get an A......

Edited by Blue Heaven
  • LOL 1

5 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Well you know they have to have 3 home alternates and 3 away alternates......so everyone that is possible captain material gets a participation trophy.

Now if we are going to dissect the alternates, Goodrow over Fox?  

As Oprah would do.....You get an A.....You get an A.....You get an A......

The Oprah reference is literally how I was envisioning it in my head, lmao!

not really 6 captain choices if you think about it. Bread doesn't want it and Goodrow just got here. Strome won't get it unless he's here long term. If the C affects performance  CK is a good candidate cause he can still rah-rah the team even if he does his yearly disappearing act.

I think having a captain is overrated and a bigger deal to the fanbase than it is in the room especially for a team that names 6 (A's) not even including Fox indicating there's plenty of leadership.

I do think Gallant comes off looking like a clown here on this issue after talking about naming one for a few weeks and as late as a day or two.  (Drury too as a result).

Make it at least 7 and get Fox in the mix.

Drop the puck, I truly don't care though. If all these guys wearing A's at one point or another lead on the ice we'll be in good shape and most won't care in the end.

54 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

I’m calling bs on that. What is Gallant going to say or hint at? That there isn’t any standout leader? He and Drury said they wanted a captain. The players knew that. And no one really put itself in the fore front to be an obvious choice. Gallant is still getting to know these players but it’s not like he’s new to the NHL. He’s coached against the majority of the candidates sans a Fox really.  

While I wanted Strome, Mika is the guy especially after the extension. We go only as far as he goes. Whether he’s potting 5 against the caps, killing a penalty in the last minute of a game, lighting up the Flyers, or scoring a ot game winner against the Isles, he’s our straw that stirs the drink. I’m not following why he wouldn’t be named at this point unless Gallant gets the feeling he doesn’t want it. 

Gallant kind of looks a bit foolish for saying a captain was going to be named before the season, only to name six alternate captains instead. That's a bit much. It's not a huge deal to me, without an official captain, it's just weird. I don't think I've ever seen that many alternated named on a team before. ? He's basically giving them out like candy.

• Like 1

It is true that president-general manager Chris Drury did always include a disclaimer about the matter, saying months ago that, “It has to be the right person” and that, “I’m not interested in giving it to someone just to say we have a captain.”

So can the inference be drawn now that of all the veterans comprising the leadership group, not one is the right person? Not one of them? Again, not the greatest of looks, even if the decision to go with six alternates was massaged on Monday by Gallant.

Two takeaways here: 1) That it would have been foolhardy and far more damaging to name a captain in whom the hierarchy did not believe simply for the sake of fulfilling an amorphous pledge rather than stepping back and taking what likely will be a short-term PR-related hit.

Plus: 2) This only matters if one of the candidates passed over for the assignment, and we are talking specifically about Jacob Trouba, Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider, feels insulted and slighted over the decision and carries a negative or hangdog attitude into the season.

Otherwise, if the group is strong, if the players themselves freely buy into the leadership committee ethos preached by Gallant, then this decision will receive more notice on social media and on the message boards than within the room.

And no, this does not represent a decision to wait until Alexis Lafreniere or Adam Fox is “ready” to wear the “C.” This decision was not about coming attractions. It was about the 2021-22 feature presentation.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/12/rangers-season-preview-retooled-roster-is-a-playoff-threat/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

• Like 1