• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Zibanejad says Rangers 'have to make the playoffs'

Phil

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

Everyone just puts their opinion in front of "That's why xxxxxxx is gone". Doesn't mean much. He had a new job 5 minutes later. 

Dont really care about a first or 2nd overall when they were quite simply not good.

Zib had COVID and missed half the season. Panarin was MIA for 3 weeks. Shesty was hurt, and is really not a difference maker. Trouba same.

They weren't a playoff team and that's why they didn't make it. 

I’m not even understanding what that means. Nothing any of us say “means much” but that’s the point of the board. To discuss our opinions. I think the roster they had should have been a playoff team last year. I think the statement Ziby made should have been made last year. Every team has obstacles. It isn’t even about whether they made the playoffs or not. It’s about how a veteran like Mika should have been saying that last year and not just this year. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Nah. The additions they made with Goodrow and Blais and their playoff experience are why this team will take a step forward, along with progress from Laf, Krav and Kakko.

Last year's team wasn't ready. JD didn't expect them to make they playoffs, so I don't know why anyone else should.

You have to admit, a team going into a season with a mvp candidate and a top goal scored then had the Norris winner, not getting in to the playoffs is a bit... shitty 

35 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I’m not even understanding what that means. Nothing any of us say “means much” but that’s the point of the board. To discuss our opinions. I think the roster they had should have been a playoff team last year. I think the statement Ziby made should have been made last year. Every team has obstacles. It isn’t even about whether they made the playoffs or not. It’s about how a veteran like Mika should have been saying that last year and not just this year. 

If he said it last year, he'd have been wrong. They simply weren't playoff caliber. 

If you don't understand, there's nothing I can do to explain it. Was pretty straightforward. 

Name one team to make the playoffs missing their best player for 3 weeks, top center with COVID hangover, injury to their #1 goalie, internal drama.

Even on paper they weren't playoff good. Rookies and 2nd year players rarely lead teams to the post season. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

If he said it last year, he'd have been wrong. They simply weren't playoff caliber. 

If you don't understand, there's nothing I can do to explain it. Was pretty straightforward. 

Name one team to make the playoffs missing their best player for 3 weeks, top center with COVID hangover, injury to their #1 goalie, internal drama.

Even on paper they weren't playoff good. Rookies and 2nd year players rarely lead teams to the post season. 

You can’t argue in hindsight like that. This was a statement Mika said prior to the year starting. I’m saying that Mika, or any other leader on this roster, should have made this before the season started last year. I don’t care what happened during the year. That’s hindsight. 

Fine, we disagree that a roster with everything I stated above should have garnered playoff expectations last year. Bringing up what happened during the year is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Keirik said:

You can’t argue in hindsight like that.

Then you can't argue that Zib should have said it last preseason using Fox, Buch and Shesty as proof points because at that time they're 2nd year player, 45 point player, rookie... respectively. They shouldn't have been expected to lead any team to the playoffs. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Then you can't argue that Zib should have said it last preseason using Fox, Buch and Shesty as proof points because at that time they're 2nd year player, 45 point player, rookie... respectively. They shouldn't have been expected to lead any team to the playoffs. 

Why not? I said it last year too. I’m not saying they should have made the playoffs because of their production during the 20/21 season.  Everyone going into last year already were saying Fox is going to be a stud and sooner rather than later. They also went into last season with a certain 5th in the league offensive D as well on their roster who’s name will not be whispered. Ziby also prior was a 40+ goal scorer and Panarin was a 90+ point getter.  Also prior to Covid, the Rangers were one of the hottest teams for almost two months. And they went into last season with the 1st OA pick that was projected to be a superstar even if not generational. All of that SHOULD have garnered the leaders to go into last season saying “We expect to win a lot of games. We expect to make the playoffs. We expect to build on 19/20 and take another step forward.” 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Why not? I said it last year too. I’m not saying they should have made the playoffs because of their production during the 20/21 season.  Everyone going into last year already were saying Fox is going to be a stud and sooner rather than later. They also went into last season with a certain 5th in the league offensive D as well on their roster who’s name will not be whispered. Ziby also prior was a 40+ goal scorer and Panarin was a 90+ point getter.  Also prior to Covid, the Rangers were one of the hottest teams for almost two months. And they went into last season with the 1st OA pick that was projected to be a superstar even if not generational. All of that SHOULD have garnered the leaders to go into last season saying “We expect to win a lot of games. We expect to make the playoffs. We expect to build on 19/20 and take another step forward.” 

We're talking past each other. You can keep saying they should have declared themselves a playoff team but the guy running the team, one of the most respected people in the game, didn't see it as a mandate. That's good enough for me. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

We're talking past each other. You can keep saying they should have declared themselves a playoff team but the guy running the team, one of the most respected people in the game, didn't see it as a mandate. That's good enough for me. 

Who? Jd? I love him. I really do, but I don’t see how what he says holds much value as to what the players should have said to show some leadership last year.

either way, LGR. This team and roster shouldn’t just make the playoffs. They need to make noise in them. It’s time. It was last year if we didn’t have a clueless clown behind the bench. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TwoMinutesForNothing said:

Why is it an NFL player gets a concussion and misses a game or two, but an NHLer gets one and misses months and is susceptible to more so easily?

Purely speculating here but skating is faster than running so the concussions may be more intense on average?

8 hours ago, Keirik said:

Who? Jd? I love him. I really do, but I don’t see how what he says holds much value as to what the players should have said to show some leadership last year.

either way, LGR. This team and roster shouldn’t just make the playoffs. They need to make noise in them. It’s time. It was last year if we didn’t have a clueless clown behind the bench. 

The rebuild is over....Now it's time to kick some ass!!!  I'm with you, my good man!!!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, siddious said:

Purely speculating here but skating is faster than running so the concussions may be more intense on average?

Football players also have, generally, much more mass.

Regardless, football players can hit with upwards of 8 tons of force with a helmet hit - pretty good reason to get why they're being pushed from the sport when you consider that a car crash would exert around 12 tons of force. 

NHL hits are harder to get a handle on - the players are generally smaller, but honestly not that much faster (football plays are fast and explosive and there's not much "value" in endurance - s 4.4 40yd dash is ~ 26 MPH, Connor McDavid can go 27.5 at max speed) - but there are tons of static surfaces (boards, glass, dashers) that can really mess with the force calculations.

11 hours ago, Keirik said:

Sitting in a locker room and saying you're going to make the playoffs isn't leadership. 

You can continue the blame Quinn for everything narrative if you want. I'll file that with the "I didn't agree with him, and he got fired, so that must make me right" JD/Gorts stuff. 

Even betting handicappers had the Rangers on the outside looking in last year.

Saying they should have been in the playoffs last year is nothing more than a hot take.

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, G1000 said:

Football players also have, generally, much more mass.

Regardless, football players can hit with upwards of 8 tons of force with a helmet hit - pretty good reason to get why they're being pushed from the sport when you consider that a car crash would exert around 12 tons of force. 

NHL hits are harder to get a handle on - the players are generally smaller, but honestly not that much faster (football plays are fast and explosive and there's not much "value" in endurance - s 4.4 40yd dash is ~ 26 MPH, Connor McDavid can go 27.5 at max speed) - but there are tons of static surfaces (boards, glass, dashers) that can really mess with the force calculations.

I have maybe watched ~4 football games in my life so I am by no means an expert but not all of the hits in football are necessarily at high speed. Blocking hard at the scrimmage line can result in injury for example. While that can be true about hockey as well, I think we can all agree most concussions are the result of being hit at open ice or hard along the boards.

Also to the original question- maybe the NHL is just more stringent with health protocol? 

Looking back going into last season - expecting/demanding them to make the playoffs would have been unfair.

Looking back on last season - they could have pushed a little in the middle/end for the playoffs, but that doesnt change the pre-season expectations.

This season, they most certainly are expected to make the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sitting in a locker room and saying you're going to make the playoffs isn't leadership. 

You can continue the blame Quinn for everything narrative if you want. I'll file that with the "I didn't agree with him, and he got fired, so that must make me right" JD/Gorts stuff. 

Even betting handicappers had the Rangers on the outside looking in last year.

Saying they should have been in the playoffs last year is nothing more than a hot take.

Honestly, I don’t really care where you file it or what “narrative” you think I’m spinning. There isn’t some grand hot take and if you think my opinion doesn’t deserve attention, then so be it. Not sure we are discussing anything productive at this point. 

48 minutes ago, josh said:

Looking back going into last season - expecting/demanding them to make the playoffs would have been unfair.

Looking back on last season - they could have pushed a little in the middle/end for the playoffs, but that doesnt change the pre-season expectations.

The narrative on last season when the season kicked off is that the Rangers are a playoff bubble team playing in a murderers row of a division and would likely be a casualty of that. It was pretty much bang-on.

The narrative this season is likely that a stronger, more seasoned Rangers team combined with a largely backsliding division should let them get in as a WC.

• Applause 1

54 minutes ago, siddious said:

I have maybe watched ~4 football games in my life so I am by no means an expert but not all of the hits in football are necessarily at high speed. Blocking hard at the scrimmage line can result in injury for example. While that can be true about hockey as well, I think we can all agree most concussions are the result of being hit at open ice or hard along the boards.

Also to the original question- maybe the NHL is just more stringent with health protocol? 

or hockey players are just pussies

1 hour ago, josh said:

Correct.