• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

ESPN+/NHL TV

Dr. Jimmy

11 hours ago, Morphinity said:

FYI, Islanders/Flyers and Kraken/Oilers games are on ESPN+. Rangers/Bruins and Avs/Knights is on NHLN, so blacked out. I don't think the other two games are being broadcast on TV.

Yeah - I follow there. What I don't follow is why I couldn't watch, say, Jackets-Sabres, which was neither on ESPN+ nor on national tv.

35 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Yeah - I follow there. What I don't follow is why I couldn't watch, say, Jackets-Sabres, which was neither on ESPN+ nor on national tv.

I don't believe the CBJ-BUF game was broadcast on TV at all. I think there was some sort of online stream of the game, but it wasn't on TV so ESPN+ didn't pick up the feed. 

I think the moral of the story is preseason is weird with what is being broadcast and by who. Let's wait until the regular season begins before we march into Connecticut and burn down ESPN HQ. 

8 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

I don't believe the CBJ-BUF game was broadcast on TV at all. I think there was some sort of online stream of the game, but it wasn't on TV so ESPN+ didn't pick up the feed. 

I think the moral of the story is preseason is weird with what is being broadcast and by who. Let's wait until the regular season begins before we march into Connecticut and burn down ESPN HQ. 

I am banking on exactly that.

I just cancelled by nhl tv subscription just in case they tried to auto renew it for next year. I’ve had ESPN+ for a year and a half already so I’m good there I assume? I want the ability to watch any and every out of town game live or at a later date.

I hope they are smart enough to do it the same way as the nhl service did. Home;away choices, condensed game, etc. 

• Like 1

Hulu/Disney/ESPN+ bundle is $13.99 a month.Found out my son already had it, gonna piggyback on his subscription, sinc he piggybacks on my HBO Max.

As an aside, annoying "The Many Saints of Newark" won't be on HBO Max until 4 AM tomorrow AM. Will be watching that sometime tomorrow after work. 

Find it annoying that we now have to get all these a la carte app subsciptions to various services rather simply add a channel to you cable package. Neither is cheap, and the new thing is at least as expensive. other than presumably the content provider are cutting out the cable company. They simply are getting more of the pie, and it's a bigger pie.  

36 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Hulu/Disney/ESPN+ bundle is $13.99 a month.Found out my son already had it, gonna piggyback on his subscription, sinc he piggybacks on my HBO Max.

As an aside, annoying "The Many Saints of Newark" won't be on HBO Max until 4 AM tomorrow AM. Will be watching that sometime tomorrow after work. 

Find it annoying that we now have to get all these a la carte app subsciptions to various services rather simply add a channel to you cable package. Neither is cheap, and the new thing is at least as expensive. other than presumably the content provider are cutting out the cable company. They simply are getting more of the pie, and it's a bigger pie.  

It's almost as if people are going to turn around and say that cable and FiOS were more worth it...and they'd be right. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's almost as if people are going to turn around and say that cable and FiOS were more worth it...and they'd be right. 

Right? If only there were a provider who could bundle all of this for you under one product and at a discount the more you add. Just can't put my finger on it...

• LOL 2

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

Right? If only there were a provider who could bundle all of this for you under one product and at a discount the more you add. Just can't put my finger on it...

Indeed. They figured out a way to get more money out of you for the same shit, pretending somehow the technology of how you got it now was radically different and better than before. But you can watch it on your phone, which is really ...not all that good. 

Edited by Bugg

I had NHL.tv this past season, and didn't hate it, but decided to go back to Center Ice through DirecTV, as I just preferred flipping through the games that way and having access to NHL Network right there as well. I called them about signing up again and I wound up getting it for $70 for the entire season. Normally it's about $165 or so. So, they're definitely feeling it from the streamers and everything. Prior to that I even got them to drop my monthly bill down about $70 or so after doing some haggling.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:56 PM, Keirik said:

I just cancelled by nhl tv subscription just in case they tried to auto renew it for next year. I’ve had ESPN+ for a year and a half already so I’m good there I assume? I want the ability to watch any and every out of town game live or at a later date.

I hope they are smart enough to do it the same way as the nhl service did. Home;away choices, condensed game, etc. 

good call, thanks for the reminder

11 hours ago, Bugg said:

Indeed. They figured out a way to get more money out of you for the same shit, pretending somehow the technology of how you got it now was radically different and better than before. But you can watch it on your phone, which is really ...not all that good. 

Someone did the breakdown on it a bit ago — I want to say Vox, but I can't remember off the top of my head — and it basically bore out that laterally changing from cable to streaming, assuming no dramatic changes in channels you otherwise would have paid for, is actually slightly more expensive because the cost of the streaming platforms routinely goes up (not by much, but is consistently increasing, not decreasing).

The only way it's actually cheaper is to effectively do the same thing you would have with your cable company, which is to drop services.

55 minutes ago, Phil said:

Someone did the breakdown on it a bit ago — I want to say Vox, but I can't remember off the top of my head — and it basically bore out that laterally changing from cable to streaming, assuming no dramatic changes in channels you otherwise would have paid for, is actually slightly more expensive because the cost of the streaming platforms routinely goes up (not by much, but is consistently increasing, not decreasing).

The only way it's actually cheaper is to effectively do the same thing you would have with your cable company, which is to drop services.

Until we get to true a la cart pricing (down to buying a specific show or channel) we'll always be getting ripped off.