• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

ESPN+/NHL TV

Dr. Jimmy

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Until we get to true a la cart pricing (down to buying a specific show or channel) we'll always be getting ripped off. 

Yup, which is why I will continue to opt for whoever is able to negotiate lower pricing, which is cable.

True a la carte will never happen, unfortunately, and probably shouldn't. A lot of quality networks build themselves up over time because they end up being able to be sold as part of larger packages so they can be discovered in the first place. If you adopt true a la carte, you effectively condemn every channel or network that isn't already well-known to death, because it's highly unlikely they'll garner enough individual buy-in to stay afloat.

All the major networks would do just fine, but anyone just outside that tier (or below) would be in real trouble, immediately.

A possible solution here isn't to allow for 100% a la carte buy-in, but 100% a la carte opt out. If I sign up for the "Preferred HD" package at FiOS, for example, I should be able to call Verizon and tell them "this is my plan, but I don't want FOX News, OANN, or Newsmax. Please remove them from my account." Or say I went up a scale to the "Extreme HD" package — why can't I say "yes to 98% of this, but please remove NFL network" because I don't watch football?

I suppose it's possible that under my model, someone would try to get clever and say "give me the Preferred HD, but cut everything except for these five channels I actually want," so you'd probably have to put limitations on it. Maybe give customers the option to opt out of a certain number of channels based on each plan?

ak bars vs Cska streaming live right now actually

эspn

Edit: announcer totally jinxed AK Bars' shut out

also first time ive ever seen a player hold a righty stick in his left hand to take a face off

good stuff

Edited by siddious

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Yup, which is why I will continue to opt for whoever is able to negotiate lower pricing, which is cable.

Did this thread come over? I feel like we had a long thread about (not the cord cutting thread from last year) but about all the platforms. Would have been... 4-5 years ago?

1 hour ago, siddious said:

also first time ive ever seen a player hold a righty stick in his left hand to take a face off

Drury used to do this. I was super confused the first time I saw him do it. It's smart, though, if you're better at winning on your backhand but need to pull it to the other side.

Just now, Drew a Penalty said:

Drury used to do this. I was super confused the first time I saw him do it. It's smart, though, if you're better at winning on your backhand but need to pull it to the other side.

Sorry I am a Ranger fan. We do it the old fashioned way and lose. 

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

Sorry I am a Ranger fan. We do it the old fashioned way and lose. 

Drury had a 53.2 FO% as a Ranger. Dude should hop on the ice and show the boys the ropes. Chytil could benefit from learning to take ambidextrous backhand faceoffs. Meanwhile he's saying "I think I'm pretty good at forehand faceoffs." If 43% is pretty good then they must be teaching some weird math in the Czech Republic.

• LOL 1

18 minutes ago, josh said:

Did this thread come over? I feel like we had a long thread about (not the cord cutting thread from last year) but about all the platforms. Would have been... 4-5 years ago?

We definitely did. I'm gonna do a search to see if it survived The Purge™.

7 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Drury had a 53.2 FO% as a Ranger. Dude should hop on the ice and show the boys the ropes. Chytil could benefit from learning to take ambidextrous backhand faceoffs. Meanwhile he's saying "I think I'm pretty good at forehand faceoffs." If 43% is pretty good then they must be teaching some weird math in the Czech Republic.

I suggested Drury do some teaching last season and @Phil said hes too busy being a GM

21 hours ago, Phil said:

True a la carte will never happen, unfortunately, and probably shouldn't. A lot of quality networks build themselves up over time because they end up being able to be sold as part of larger packages so they can be discovered in the first place. If you adopt true a la carte, you effectively condemn every channel or network that isn't already well-known to death, because it's highly unlikely they'll garner enough individual buy-in to stay afloat.

All the major networks would do just fine, but anyone just outside that tier (or below) would be in real trouble, immediately.

A possible solution here isn't to allow for 100% a la carte buy-in, but 100% a la carte opt out. If I sign up for the "Preferred HD" package at FiOS, for example, I should be able to call Verizon and tell them "this is my plan, but I don't want FOX News, OANN, or Newsmax. Please remove them from my account." Or say I went up a scale to the "Extreme HD" package — why can't I say "yes to 98% of this, but please remove NFL network" because I don't watch football?

I suppose it's possible that under my model, someone would try to get clever and say "give me the Preferred HD, but cut everything except for these five channels I actually want," so you'd probably have to put limitations on it. Maybe give customers the option to opt out of a certain number of channels based on each plan?

You know you can effectively do this yourself, right?  I did it all the time when I still had DirecTV.  You can select channels that you don't want to show up when you're flipping through channels or scrolling through your guide.  Not sure if every platform allows for it but it is at least something you can check for in your settings.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

You know you can effectively do this yourself, right?  I did it all the time when I still had DirecTV.  You can select channels that you don't want to show up when you're flipping through channels or scrolling through your guide.  Not sure if every platform allows for it but it is at least something you can check for in your settings.

Does it make your package cheaper?

If not you can do this by selecting favorite channels and then filtering the guide by favorites only. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Does it make your package cheaper?

If not you can do this by selecting favorite channels and then filtering the guide by favorites only. 

No it doesn't change the package, I don't think anyone will do it like that.  It just changes what is presented to you.  Yes it is essentially doing the favorites only but I had a separate setting for just favorites.  I just didn't want to be presented with all of the shit channels.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

No it doesn't change the package, I don't think anyone will do it like that.  It just changes what is presented to you.  Yes it is essentially doing the favorites only but I had a separate setting for just favorites.  I just didn't want to be presented with all of the shit channels.

Agreed ?. It's amazing how many channels you block.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agreed ?. It's amazing how many channels you block.

Its been quite a few years now since I dropped DTV but I am almost certain I had more channels blocked than I did showing lol.  Between the non English channels, all of the various QVC types of channels, religious channels, channels for stuff that just didn't interest me, and of course any channels I did get in my package.

I got the best deal, I don’t pay for cable. I got Netflix, Paramount+ for football season, Apple+ for Ted Lasso/The Morning Show. I piggy back off of my parents Spectrum account, I made a log in using their account number, log into the Spectrum app on either my Samsung or Roku Stick, and get most of the channels my wife and I watch. Whatever channels we don’t get through the app, I log into those channel individual apps with the spectrum account and have access. Works like a charm. MSG is not blocked on the Spectrum app, only problem is that I have to watch the game live, no playback option. Pay $0 for spectrum. I also do have ExpressVPN for $100 for the year so I can watch football on paramount. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

I got the best deal, I don’t pay for cable. I got Netflix, Paramount+ for football season, Apple+ for Ted Lasso/The Morning Show. I piggy back off of my parents Spectrum account, I made a log in using their account number, log into the Spectrum app on either my Samsung or Roku Stick, and get most of the channels my wife and I watch. Whatever channels we don’t get through the app, I log into those channel individual apps with the spectrum account and have access. Works like a charm. MSG is not blocked on the Spectrum app, only problem is that I have to watch the game live, no playback option. Pay $0 for spectrum. I also do have ExpressVPN for $100 for the year so I can watch football on paramount. 

I have a similar setup with my parents.  I kick them some money per month along with setting up their account for them.  I use their Altice One account info to log into whatever apps I need to use to get what I want to watch.  We split Disney+ with my wife's sister, split Netflix with my parents and my brother, and we have our own Amazon Prime account.  Rangers hockey is my biggest issue because MSG doesn't have an actual tv based app.  MSGGO is meant for a computer/phone/tablet so I have to mirror my phone to my fir stick.  Its not the best but its what I have to do for now.

24 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Just subscribed to ESPN+

What else is worth watching (podcasts?) with the paid subscription?

Well if you follow soccer ESPN+ has a shit ton of content. They also have college sports, documentaries, those 30 for 30, etc. 

• Applause 1

39 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Well if you follow soccer ESPN+ has a shit ton of content. They also have college sports, documentaries, those 30 for 30, etc. 

not a soccer fan but documentaries and such I can be down with. I’ll have to take the time to browse through options. 

2 hours ago, Parsley said:

not a soccer fan but documentaries and such I can be down with. I’ll have to take the time to browse through options. 

I know last year they had tons of college hockey games that I got into just for the simple fact they were there to watch and once the tournaments started it was fun to follow. 

• Like 1