• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gauthier Over Kravtsov?

Phil

4. Again. It is less than a week into training camp. But it seems to me that Julien Gauthier has done more to earn a spot than Vitaly Kravtsov.

Here, too. Is this a tryout camp? Would the Rangers keep Gauthier, a forward who probably would clear waivers and who thus could be kept in reserve while presumably getting major minutes with the Wolf Pack, instead of Kravtsov, who likely would not take too kindly to an assignment to Hartford?

Because if Gauthier, drafted 21st overall in 2016, is one of those late bloomers and finally gets it at age 23, might he not be more compatible as the right wing with Filip Chytil and Barclay Goodrow?

https://nypost.com/2021/09/29/zac-jones-vs-nils-lundkvist-and-other-big-rangers-questions/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

I missed the first pre-season game but I don't remember Gauthiers name being mentioned at all afterwards. I assume he has hustled harder than Kravtsov in camp?

In my opinion you put Kravtsov in and let him play himself out of the line up if hes really not good. At this point its time to let this kid play and see what he can do. Gauthier doesnt exactly bring anything to the table that I like over Kravtsov.

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

I missed the first pre-season game but I don't remember Gauthiers name being mentioned at all afterwards. I assume he has hustled harder than Kravtsov in camp?

In my opinion you put Kravtsov in and let him play himself out of the line up if hes really not good. At this point its time to let this kid play and see what he can do. Gauthier doesnt exactly bring anything to the table that I like over Kravtsov.

I tend to agree. Sit him down and say he's got 10 games to show something. If he doesn't, he'll have to go down to the A with a list of things to work on.

Gauthier will likely be inconsistent enough to earn another benching or AHL stint. 

To me, this is a conflation of two problems. Gauthier is a paper tiger. He has everything you want out of a player on paper, but none of it actualizes in reality. Kravtsov suffers much of the same. The problem is, Brooks is inflating Gauthier to make him seem like the more logical choice when he isn't. Neither player has done anything to suggest they deserve an NHL spot, let alone a top-six or top-nine role.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

To me, this is a conflation of two problems. Gauthier is a paper tiger. He has everything you want out of a player on paper, but none of it actualizes in reality. Kravtsov suffers much of the same. The problem is, Brooks is inflating Gauthier to make him seem like the more logical choice when he isn't. Neither player has done anything to suggest they deserve an NHL spot, let alone a top-six or top-nine role.

I also think, should Gauthier look decent the rest of camp, an easy solution is to keep him as one of the spare and interchange him with Kravtsov when one or the others play begins to slip. If I am not mistaken Kravtsov doesnt need to be exposed to waivers if hes sent down but Gauthier is?

Hunt and Guathier as the spare forwards on the team. 

As spot on as the Tinordi-Hajek thing is...this one isn't as cut-and-dry for me. 

Gauthier infuriates me. He's like the guy you know who bought a $3000 grill and a Big Green Egg and a top of the line smoker and doesn't know how to cook a burger. I'm so done with him unless he wants to give up the dream of being a top six scorer and start putting people through the dashers. 

Kravtsov may be more of the same, but he needs the chance here. I like him with Goodrow. I don't know if I like him with Chytil - they both really like having the puck on their stick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

If Gauthier is put on waivers Seattle probably will pick him up.

Someone will take a chance on him for sure. There is still a lot to like there even if none of it has come to fruition yet.

1 minute ago, G1000 said:

As spot on as the Tinordi-Hajek thing is...this one isn't as cut-and-dry for me. 

Gauthier infuriates me. He's like the guy you know who bought a $3000 grill and a Big Green Egg and a top of the line smoker and doesn't know how to cook a burger. I'm so done with him unless he wants to give up the dream of being a top six scorer and start putting people through the dashers. 

Kravtsov may be more of the same, but he needs the chance here. I like him with Goodrow. I don't know if I like him with Chytil - they both really like having the puck on their stick.

Kravtsov had also looked pretty good at the tail end of last season in his little stint here. Gauthier has never looked good here. I have been wanting him to do ANYTHING since he got here and have been sorely disappointed. 

3 minutes ago, siddious said:

Someone will take a chance on him for sure. There is still a lot to like there even if none of it has come to fruition yet.

Kravtsov had also looked pretty good at the tail end of last season in his little stint here. Gauthier has never looked good here. I have been wanting him to do ANYTHING since he got here and have been sorely disappointed. 

I'm rooting for the guy, but we have to face the reality that he's nowhere near challenging for top 6 RW and unless he adapts his game, he isn't a fit in our bottom 6. 

He's simultaneously been miscast and a victim of circumstance here - true - but he's also been, as I said, the guy who has all the tools and can't figure out why using pliers to hit a nail isn't working.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G1000 said:

I'm rooting for the guy, but we have to face the reality that he's nowhere near challenging for top 6 RW and unless he adapts his game, he isn't a fit in our bottom 6. 

He's simultaneously been miscast and a victim of circumstance here - true - but he's also been, as I said, the guy who has all the tools and can't figure out why using pliers to hit a nail isn't working.

Agreed on all points. Only thing I would still say is maybe Gallant is an x-factor. I dunno. 

1 minute ago, siddious said:

Agreed on all points. Only thing I would still say is maybe Gallant is an x-factor. I dunno. 

Maybe. Gallant likes his hitting lines in the bottom 6 though - so as I said - he's got to transform his game to play that role.

He'd be so fucking great at the "Sammy Blais" role with his speed and size too, but he sees himself as a top six forward. That's just not his reality.

14 minutes ago, G1000 said:

So much this. Change your game, bro. You're 6′ 4″, 225lbs. Let the bodies hit the [ice].

• Like 1

I was high on Gauthier when acquired but he's been underwhelming, and easy to see why Carolina was good on dumping him. Still a few more preseason games to show if he was Quinned or just isn't an NHL player.

Additionally,  kravtsov is a better all around player.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

If Gauthier actually showed something, sure. This is just Brooksie stirring the pot because he's starved for content, though. I guess he didn't have enough time to search for Josh Anderson comparables. 

I mean, sure, but having a Josh Anderson would be pretty awesome right now. Kinda wish Gauthier was that.

I would dismiss this notion if we had the same front office. Kravtsov has been groomed to play this year. However, new regime could potentially mean everyone still looks like new shiny toys to Gallant. Gauthier, as Phil said, on paper appears very shiny and Kravtsov has looked a little slower this preseason compared to what he looked like his first few games last year. 

If Gallant doesn’t see Kravtsov in a top 6 role straight away, I could see him thinking Gauthiers size fits a lot better on a third line than Kravtsov will. I’m sure that would change 4 stupid penalties later or by the third game of the season. 

Edited by Keirik