• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Reaves Day-to-Day with Lower-Body Injury

Phil

• Phil changed the title to Ryan Reaves Day-to-Day with Lower-Body Injury
2 hours ago, Phil said:

Again, some of us really like the player and were really looking forward to him playing on opening night. What you can fanboi we call fandom. It's okay if you don't share the same appreciation for the player. Not sure what else we're supposed to glean when you're trying to paint everyone as hysterical for being upset with the injury.

There’s no doubt Reaves brings a little buzz and dare I say some swagger if the rest of the team is firing on all cylinders in other areas. Just for the simple fact that he will keep players honest if someone wants to take a run at any of our guys. I don’t honestly think he is vital or anything though. It’s just one of those things. Hopefully he’s back sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

There’s no doubt Reaves brings a little buzz and dare I say some swagger if the rest of the team is firing on all cylinders in other areas. Just for the simple fact that he will keep players honest if someone wants to take a run at any of our guys. I don’t honestly think he is vital or anything though. It’s just one of those things. Hopefully he’s back sooner rather than later.

I mean, sure, but this is a straw man. No one — certainly not me — has suggested he's even close to "vital." The point I've been making here is that he's a popular player, especially with fans. The moment he was traded for, those same fans marked opening night as must-see-TV for obvious reasons. Whether you (the proverbial you) like or enjoy that aspect of the game isn't really relevant. A very vocal contingent of fans do, and are really hoping to see him "make an impact" on night one. So, what value is there coming into a thread where the thought at the time is that this could be in jeopardy to rationalize about how he's "not that important anyway?"

Just let people enjoy things. That's all I'm trying to say.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, sure, but this is a straw man. No one — certainly not me — has suggested he's even close to "vital." The point I've been making here is that he's a popular player, especially with fans. The moment he was traded for, those same fans marked opening night as must-see-TV for obvious reasons. Whether you (the proverbial you) like or enjoy that aspect of the game isn't really relevant. A very vocal contingent of fans do, and are really hoping to see him "make an impact" on night one. So, what value is there coming into a thread where the thought at the time is that this could be in jeopardy to rationalize about how he's "not that important anyway?"

Just let people enjoy things. That's all I'm trying to say.

I mostly am on board with you even though I did say we addressed our toughness problem prior to Reaves and he was overkill. I see it as I think I overstated a bit. His presence on the club helped everyone walk a little taller so I think that’s already been accomplished a bit just with him on the roster too. This is an 82 game season now. Even if he misses time in October, guys do know if they do something dumb he will come, calling next time. 

• Applause 1

Yup. I love the guy, and I don't disagree he was kind of overkill. But I say that mostly because I think it was a massive waste of time to even sign Tinordi in the first place. Reaves + Blais + Goodrow is a solid off season to address composition issues.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Phil said:

Hoping this is based off some kind of scan and not just a feeling or Reaves saying yeah I'll be fine it's not that bad, then in two days when it's no better they actually do an mri that says not so fast. 

Anyway for now this is good to hear and if true it's amazing someone can have their knee bent like that and it not be ripped apart. ?

10 hours ago, Phil said:

We don't know what that impact will be. He's a fourth-liner, but he's not a JAG. His personality and the way he's got young players gravitating towards him signals to me you might be underestimating his impact to the team and it's loss if he's out as long as I fear he will be.

There was a time on this board where I think you would say it sucked that he got hurt, but his analytics were bad, so next man up. ?

But yeah, completely agree. Players are human, so even if Kreider snapping like he did after the injury made me think I was in some alternate reality, I think Reaves's impact is obvious.

Even if the Rangers played hard and left it all on the ice in a 7 game series, Reaves throwing a big hit or pumping up the team,  even as a locker room leader might push someone to take that extra hit to make that extra play that could win a series or even a championship. There's no variable for willpower in the data set.

When it's game 5 in the conference final and guys are worn down by an already long run, a guy like that is worth more than your average grinder.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Applause 1