• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Forget Eichel, Upgrade on Chytil

Phil

Just now, josh said:

2 4th liners and Kreider (who will look like a 4th liner playing with other 4th liners).

All 3 of those guys are complementary players. If you want to have a grind line, sure, But you cant do that to your bottom 6 and expect it to look different than last season.

They may not be super-talented 1st liners, but they're not 4th liners either. Look at where they played on Stanley cup winning teams and look at their production, that's not 4th liners.

For argument's sake - What is a 4th liner to you? What's the aprox. point total for a 4th liner?

Rangers 4th line in 13/14 was one of the best in league. Boyle had 18 points in 82 games, Moore had 18 in 72 and Carbomb had 3 in 32.

Islanders last season, arguably the league's best 4th line. They all had 10-15 points in ~50 games. Averaged around 18-22 in 82.

Goodrow had 20 in 52 last year, Blais had 15 in 32.

22 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

They may not be super-talented 1st liners, but they're not 4th liners either. Look at where they played on Stanley cup winning teams and look at their production, that's not 4th liners.

For argument's sake - What is a 4th liner to you? What's the aprox. point total for a 4th liner?

Rangers 4th line in 13/14 was one of the best in league. Boyle had 18 points in 82 games, Moore had 18 in 72 and Carbomb had 3 in 32.

Islanders last season, arguably the league's best 4th line. They all had 10-15 points in ~50 games. Averaged around 18-22 in 82.

Goodrow had 20 in 52 last year, Blais had 15 in 32.

Yes - they were literally, 4th liners, moved up in the lineup to compliment the other lines.

Spread out the size, spread out the talent.

• 1 month later...

Fuck it. Joe Pavelski. Team has like $10 million in cap, unstable/unreliable center depth, and a serious face-off problem. Pavelski just plain works. In the final year of his deal, career 54.7 FO% (currently 52%), still productive, natural leader, and stellar playoff record. Stars aren't going anywhere.

Chytil for Pavelski.

Or, if you really wanna get nuts, Chytil and Kravtsov for Pavelski and Radulov (with retention, possibly on both).

• Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

Fuck it. Joe Pavelski. Team has like $10 million in cap, unstable/unreliable center depth, and a serious face-off problem. Pavelski just plain works. In the final year of his deal, career 54.7 FO% (currently 52%), still productive, natural leader, and stellar playoff record. Stars aren't going anywhere.

Chytil for Pavelski.

Or, if you really wanna get nuts, Chytil and Kravtsov for Pavelski and Radulov (with retention, possibly on both).

what's the reason you want to trade two young guns for retirees?

33 minutes ago, Phil said:

Chytil for Pavelski.

I'm really concerned with Chytil;  Fucking guy just can't stay on the ice and his play doesn't really fit anywhere.  We definitely need a 3C and that faceoff issue is GLARING at this point!

This certainly looks like a solid idea....but I figure possibly a deadline deal, if we're looking to be in contention for a playoff spot!

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm really concerned with Chytil;  Fucking guy just can't stay on the ice and his play doesn't really fit anywhere.  We definitely need a 3C and that faceoff issue is GLARING at this point!

This certainly looks like a solid idea....but I figure possibly a deadline deal, if we're looking to be in contention for a playoff spot!

Practically? Yeah, the deadline is probably right, but I'd do it sooner rather than later. Playoffs or no playoffs, getting a rock-solid, steady, ace in the hole veteran center would do a lot to stabilize the F group. That may or may not help them not bleed so many chances against, but Pavelski objectively makes them a better F group.

Pavelski > Chytil yesterday, today, and tomorrrow, but that's coming from someone with next to no faith that Chytil will ever be a productive NHL player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Phil said:

Practically? Yeah, the deadline is probably right, but I'd do it sooner rather than later. Playoffs or no playoffs, getting a rock-solid, steady, ace in the hole veteran center would do a lot to stabilize the F group. That may or may not help them not bleed so many chances against, but Pavelski objectively makes them a better F group.

Pavelski > Chytil yesterday, today, and tomorrrow, but that's coming from someone with next to no faith that Chytil will ever be a productive NHL player.

I'll tell you what, Phil...we better figure out how to close out a game in the 3rd period.  That "Katy-bar-the-door" shit makes me wanna upchuck!  Fucking Igor looked like he was in a damn shooting gallery last night.

91 shots attempted???  Are they serious???  How we won that game is a god damn miracle!

I'd take a little more veteran leadership on this squad....I just feel like I'd be giving up on Chytil.  Not that he's shown really anything significant that he can be an NHL caliber center yet....and he gets injured if a spectator breaks wind, for fuck sake!!!  LOL

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I just feel like I'd be giving up on Chytil

Why is this a problem? Teams give up on players all the time. The 200 game mark is a pretty universal one for making this kind of determination on a player.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Why is this a problem? Teams give up on players all the time. The 200 game mark is a pretty universal one for making this kind of determination on a player.

I know...

I suppose you're right, boss.... even though I've seen players like Duclair and Graves (Ryan) who get it after we give up on them.  I have to agree with you though...why wait?  His game, either way doesn't seem to fit here.  He doesn't look like he can supplant Strome and he's definitely NOT a #3 center.  He seems to lack the body mass and hockey IQ to me.

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

Pavelski has 88 points the last two seasons plus the start of this year. 51 of those points are at even strength.

"Used to be good."

I suggested him last season.  Same reactions. Not every player has to be 23 and locked up long term. I think it makes perfect sense. Though I don't necessarily agree with what you want to trade for him. I'd like to see Chytil play extensive time at wing with talented players before I give up on him. BUT if Kravstov isn't wanted by the Rangers... 

Edited by The Dude

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I suggested him last season.  Same reactions. Not every player has to be 23 and locked uplong term. I think it makes perfect sense. Though I don't necessarily agree with what you want to trade for him. I'd like to see Chytil play extensive time at wing with talented players before I give up on him. 

I agree with trying him on the wing first. Would be nice to have a speedy, big, net crasher on each line if possible (Kreider, Chytil, Gauthier). Gauthier looked really good last night and like he's buying into that role now, get Chytil there too and Chytil's got a nice shot to go along with it.

Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Strome - Chytil
Laf - Goodrow - Gauthier
Hunt - Rooney - Blais

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tonybologna said:

I agree with trying him on the wing first. Would be nice to have a speedy, big, net crasher on each line if possible (Kreider, Chytil, Gauthier). Gauthier looked really good last night and like he's buying into that role now, get Chytil there too and Chytil's got a nice shot to go along with it.

Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Strome - Chytil
Laf - Goodrow - Gauthier
Hunt - Rooney - Blais

dog smiling GIF

You mean... You like Gauthier too?  We're like BEST friends now, me and you. 

Edited by The Dude
  • LOL 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

dog smiling GIF

You mean... You like Gauthier too?  We're like BEST friends now, me and you. 

I do, I think he needs to be given more of a chance and some time under Gallant to see if he can be what we need him to be, and what he has the physical tools to be if he just buys in which I was seeing a lot of last night.

21 minutes ago, Costa said:

Doesn't matter because in the end in order to resign Strome, Chytil will be a cap casualty. 

Well, I mean..  I love Strome... But he's not having a good contract year. Is Strome losing that "must keep "status? It's heading that way. 

31 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Well, I mean..  I love Strome... But he's not having a good contract year. Is Strome losing that "must keep "status? It's heading that way. 

So what do you do?? Do you trade Strome and/or Chytil to a contender?? If we keep Chytil he has to be a winger, so now worst case we are in the market for 2 centers.

Edited by Costa