• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Mika Zibanejad to 8-Year/$68M Extension; $8.5M AAV

Phil

10 hours ago, Phil said:

And they are giving up something — a full year of potential salary as a UFA

No they're not. If they want 8 years they can resign with their current team. It's a lever to keep teams together. 

I can easily say you're viewing it only from the players perspective, you usually do. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

No they're not. If they want 8 years they can resign with their current team. It's a lever to keep teams together. 

I can easily say you're viewing it only from the players perspective, you usually do. 

I take their side, absolutely, but this is literally a concession. They have the option for seven years, unrestricted, or eight, if they sign with their current team before unrestricted, currently. Your suggestion is to move from seven to six, just because. They're not actually getting anything new for it. They're simply being told "seven is now six."

To which, my response would be, "in exchange for what?"

They're neogoating with the NHL here in this would be argument. So what are "the players"getting for one less year of unrestricted security? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

I take their side, absolutely, but this is literally a concession. They have the option for seven years, unrestricted, or eight, if they sign with their current team before unrestricted, currently. Your suggestion is to move from seven to six, just because. They're not actually getting anything new for it. They're simply being told "seven is now six."

They're neogoating with the NHL here in this would be argument. So what are "the players"getting for one less year of unrestricted security? 

It's an incentive to stay with their current team. If you want to go to the highest bidder from an AAV perspective, there's a trade off.

I'm not in the CBA negotiations. I don't have to decide what the concessions would be. I'm just a dude on a message board. No one is paying me to figure this out LOL. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

The argument could be made that they had been given too much to begin with and that the formula hasn't been working.

These big cap hits have affected a lot of older players ability get contracts. 3 years ago, older vets weren't signing one year league minimum deals to latch on to a team.  

These contracts that are being signed are already known that the term is really just to make the cap hit smaller and that there is little intent of finishing the deal all the way through. This stuff is still in Hossa territory.  

The league will need another lockout very soon. When 3rd year players are making 9 million, it's just a matter of time the lower tier players make up that difference.  I love Fox and want him locked up long term,  but I have serious issue with a player going from ELC to top paid at his position.  There should be a bridge deal in between that's mandatory. The league can't sustain this again.  

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's an incentive to stay with their current team. If you want to go to the highest bidder from an AAV perspective, there's a trade off.

I'm not in the CBA negotiations. I don't have to decide what the concessions would be. I'm just a dude on a message board. No one is paying me to figure this out LOL. 

I know that, LOL. That's why I said you're only viewing this from the perspective of a fan. That wasn't a slight. I'm saying it literally. In reality, the two sides would treat it like any other facet of CBA negotiations. In this case, the players are being asked to give up one fewer year of unrestricted security, so they'd only do so in exchange for something else from the league (who have expressly desired shorter contract length, anyway).

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The argument could be made that they had been given too much to begin with and that the formula hasn't been working.

These big cap hits have affected a lot of older players ability get contracts. 3 years ago, older vets weren't signing one year league minimum deals to latch on to a team.  

These contracts that are being signed are already known that the term is really just to make the cap hit smaller and that there is little intent of finishing the deal all the way through. This stuff is still in Hossa territory.  

The league will need another lockout very soon. When 3rd year players are making 9 million, it's just a matter of time the lower tier players make up that difference.  I love Fox and want him locked up long term,  but I have serious issue with a player going from ELC to top paid at his position.  There should be a bridge deal in between that's mandatory. The league can't sustain this again.  

Yes, they can, just as they have been for the last number of seasons. The cost is an ever-reducing market for unrestricted free agents, which is a better reflection of what that market should be anyway. Gone are the days of giving Travis Moen a four- or five-year deal at the age of 31. That's a good thing.

The league can sustain this because they just tripled their TV revenue and that will - eventually, and shortly - start re-infusing the cap. This contract is buyout proof, but SUPER tradeable, because by the time he's a 35 year old with an 8.5m cap hit, he's also due a rather modest 14 million of that contract (after the SB is paid in July) over three seasons for a cap hit much higher than that.

Worry about it when you need to. Mika got his 5x11 (basically), then the team got term for cap hit mitigation.

There's also a not insignificant chance he just rides out the life of the deal, or 90% of it. It's extremely telling that his trade protection ends seven days before the trade deadline in the final year of his contract when he'll have an $8.5 million cap hit and a $1 million salary — both prorated.

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes, they can, just as they have been for the last number of seasons. The cost is an ever-reducing market for unrestricted free agents, which is a better reflection of what that market should be anyway. Gone are the days of giving Travis Moen a four- or five-year deal at the age of 31. That's a good thing.

But you're replacing them with endless amounts of Marian Hossa contracts that are set to bring players to age 40...  I don't see how that's any better.

Teams are going to be like the Rangers were and have 10 million in dead cap space going towards buy outs. Some teams can't sustain that. They shouldn't have to.  Either allow a certain amount of compliance buy outs every 5 years, or cap the UFA years to a lower #. 

Are other capped leagues handling out guaranteed 8 year contracts anymore? 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

But you're replacing them with endless amounts of Marian Hossa contracts that are set to bring players to age 40...  I don't see how that's any better.

Teams are going to be like the Rangers were and have 10 million in dead cap space going towards buy outs. Some teams can't sustain that. They shouldn't have to.  Either allow a certain amount of compliance buy outs every 5 years, or cap the UFA years to a lower #. 

What endless amount? The Marian Hossa's of the league will continue to get Marian Hossa deals. The Travis Moens won't. They'll be forced to recognize they need to earn their money fast and early or they'll get eaten up.

22 minutes ago, Phil said:

There's also a not insignificant chance he just rides out the life of the deal, or 90% of it. It's extremely telling that his trade protection ends seven days before the trade deadline in the final year of his contract when he'll have an $8.5 million cap hit and a $1 million salary — both prorated.

That's such an interesting and smart provision. I hadn't noticed that.

And yeah, I can see Mika being 35 and still worth 8-9% of the cap. That would, of course, require a near 100M cap, but in 7 years that might be where we're at. 

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think most other leagues have landed on shorter contracts as the norm. The only league that routinely gives out longer contracts is the MLB. Most NFL contracts don't go more than 4 years+option, and the NBA has a concrete 4 season max deal.

That's a CBA negotiation. It won't change. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Phil said:

I'd be interested to see what the NBA's model is. That'd be the closest the NHL might one day aspire to replicate, but not without an actual lockout.

4 year max, but salary maximums are linked to years in the league. So a player who hasn't been in the league for more than 6 years can't make more than $28 million and that number is linked to a cap, so it changes every year. There are slightly different rules for staying with a team versus leaving a team (players on their original teams for a certain number of years are eligible for "supermax" contracts with special rules that allow the players to make something like 35% of the cap.

Obviously the NBA roster size is smaller (15 active players, at least 8 playing), so there's more of the pie for each player, but a similar series of principles likely makes some sense.

• Thanks 1