• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

I think Ronning will bury any chances he gets, but yeah, agreed with above. 

Yeah I don’t know what it is. I could be totally off. But there are always prospects that aren’t like jump-off-the-page players that wind up finding a home on a team in the NHL. And Ronning, to me, seems like a kid who has the right mind set and work ethic to be one of those under the radar type of guys if given the shot.

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Here’s a question: If Blais is out as expected, might it not be a bad idea to give a guy like Ty Ronning a look? He is an energy type player, obviously on the smaller side. He’s been a scorer at other levels. I feel like he might be the type of under the radar type of guy who makes the most of his shot; sometimes guys like this come out of no where and make a difference.

I figured why not give it a shot? Could be a move we look back on as a stroke of genius. Could also be a waste of time. Either way, I wouldn’t hate seeing him (or someone like him) get a shot. 

There's a lot of interesting names in Hartford, IMO. I'm not overly excited about Morgan Barron, but I'd love to see Pajiuenemi (or however you spell it) get a look. They need a winger.

Ronning? IDK anything about him other than he's been in the system forever and hasn't impressed enough to get a look, even when the lineup was trash.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Pajuniemi is another one I wouldn’t mind see getting a shot.

Ronning is more of an energy type. Brings lots of speed. Was a good scorer at lower levels when younger. Struggled a bit to score in the AHL, but found a rhythm last year and scored 10 goals in 18 games. He has 3 so far this season in 12.

I know Barron is the one we will likely see. But like ThirtyOne said, there are lots of interesting options down in Hartford. And I’d be fine giving someone who may provide a little spark a chance.

7 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yeah I don’t know what it is. I could be totally off. But there are always prospects that aren’t like jump-off-the-page players that wind up finding a home on a team in the NHL. And Ronning, to me, seems like a kid who has the right mind set and work ethic to be one of those under the radar type of guys if given the shot.

How much of that is based on his dad's very good NHL career, and how much is based on the actual player he is in Hartford so far? Thinking out loud rather than knocking your point. 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Bugg said:

How much of that is based on his dad's very good NHL career, and how much is based on the actual player he is in Hartford so far? Thinking out loud rather than knocking your point. 

Honestly, nothing to do with his father. His work ethic has always intrigued me. He’s one of those guys with an endless engine; lots of speed. He’s been a big scorer in younger leagues. Not saying that will translate to the NHL, but he can score. He overcame adversity in the AHL and rebounded with 10 goals in 18 games last year.

I feel like players like him, often underestimated because of his size, play with an enormous chip on their shoulder.  I said earlier he reminds me of Marchessault from Vegas; literally same height too. Not every prospect is a can’t miss, light up the minors type. Some float along and then just know how to handle the spotlight when it’s on them.

I just feel like he may be one of those late type bloomers. Lots of energy, lots of speed, can score. Can play in different situations. 

I could be totally off base, believe me I know. This is more hunch than anything. I just feel like every team has a prospect come along that kind of flies under the radar and then comes up and just becomes part of the identity and the core. I feel like, given his past, he may be one of those guys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Honestly, nothing to do with his father. His work ethic has always intrigued me. He’s one of those guys with an endless engine; lots of speed. He’s been a big scorer in younger leagues. Not saying that will translate to the NHL, but he can score. He overcame adversity in the AHL and rebounded with 10 goals in 18 games last year.

I feel like players like him, often underestimated because of his size, play with an enormous chip on their shoulder.  I said earlier he reminds me of Marchessault from Vegas; literally same height too. Not every prospect is a can’t miss, light up the minors type. Some float along and then just know how to handle the spotlight when it’s on them.

I just feel like he may be one of those late type bloomers. Lots of energy, lots of speed, can score. Can play in different situations. 

I could be totally off base, believe me I know. This is more hunch than anything. I just feel like every team has a prospect come along that kind of flies under the radar and then comes up and just becomes part of the identity and the core. I feel like, given his past, he may be one of those guys.

What you and Richie say make sense. There is no problem giving a kid a shot just on a hunch. Sometimes entire careers are started that way. 

Nah that's horrible defensive coverage as soon as it gets in the Rangers zone. It's, what should be a 4 on 4.  Reaves would have the defensive assignment on the other dman not in the picture. About the red line, you can see they lose communication on who is covering who. Once the puck gets to the Rangers blue line (5:56), Fox, Goodrow and Rooney all go to the puck. Once the puck pops out, its a 3 on 1 vs Lindgren. The pass bounces off a guy, right to a Devils player, and then there is a perfect rebound. That's just a tough break

2 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Please review the Devils tying goal from earlier this week at about 5:55 of this link.  The Devils score off the rush.  Reaves, starting from his own end, lumbers up the ice, incredibly slowly.  Watch him the whole way.  

Insane that you can think this is anything but a bad bounce and medium blown coverage