• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Need More From Lafrenière, Kakko

Phil

5 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I did see it coming, and brought it up all the time. He was a a 17 yo built like a man, in a shitty league. Nobody could tell me what he was elite at. "It's his hockey IQ". lol. 

You’re going to feel like such a fool when he scores 20 goals in 6 years 

• LOL 2

6 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I did see it coming, and brought it up all the time. He was a a 17 yo built like a man, in a shitty league. Nobody could tell me what he was elite at. "It's his hockey IQ". lol. 

Yea but no one takes you seriously. 

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 2

At least Kakko got in to shape. He still blows, but he took it seriously, got in shape and paid attention to details in the other end. I can root for that. 

Lafreniere went in to year 2 with the same soft body he showed up with as a rookie, and the same middling offensive skills. What a disappointment. 

2 hours ago, jsrangers said:

respect your opinion Dude but I don't think Gauthier should even be on the roster. He's shown enough now under two different administrations here and the same in Carolina. He's a top AHL guy. 

I just don't see how he gets no credit for driving to the net and becoming a net front presence away from the puck, but everyone bitches that nobody is driving the offense. 

Which is it? Bitch that nobody is doing it, or bitch that that's all THIS guy is good for? Use him. That's HIS role. Just like it's Hunts role to suck absolute ass and for Reaves to be the cool old guy in the room. 

Gallant was to use players in roles that suite them. Well? This guy drives offense. 

Edited by The Dude

3 hours ago, Karan said:

Late bloomers. Will need to wait 4-5 seasons before they're both regularly showing up on the scoresheet. 

If that's true, move them while there's still draft shine. Team needs players, not promise.

• Cheers 1

I think this situation is why the knee jerk reaction last year was so bad. If you want to change the makeup of the team, fine go ahead. But that does not mean that we are ready to contend, which will never be true until our 2 and 1oa picks begin to play real hockey. Panarin, Zibanejad, and Adam Fox cannot carry us offensively to a cup, no matter how good they are (and they are fantastic).

Realistically we are waiting on kakko and lafreniere here, and I would not advise impatience. These kids take time except in extremely rare circumstances. Nobody can disagree they haven’t lived up to the hype yet, but these are also still children. They’re not men, and expecting them to lead a men’s hockey team to the pinnacle of sports godhood is honestly crazy. I think expecting steady year by year progress is what the doctor orders here, and while it may not play out on panarin’a timeline, it will for Mika, Igor, and Fox, and that’s still pretty great. 

Remember Adam Fox being as good as he is almost never happens in the nhl, and while laf and kakko are not that good, Fox really is a generational talent. Everyone else will need to follow a normal timeline which unfortunately takes time.

• Like 1

Not expecting them to lead by any means. Looking for them to consistently contribute and not be invisible most times. The others you mention can and should lead. 

But a lot of talk this off season centered around the young talent here taking big next steps. Fox has continued to excel. Laf, Kakko, Krav, Miller, Chytil have shown for the most part no steps forward so far. Not good. 

Edited by jsrangers
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2

5 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I think this situation is why the knee jerk reaction last year was so bad. If you want to change the makeup of the team, fine go ahead. But that does not mean that we are ready to contend, which will never be true until our 2 and 1oa picks begin to play real hockey. Panarin, Zibanejad, and Adam Fox cannot carry us offensively to a cup, no matter how good they are (and they are fantastic).

Realistically we are waiting on kakko and lafreniere here, and I would not advise impatience. These kids take time except in extremely rare circumstances. Nobody can disagree they haven’t lived up to the hype yet, but these are also still children. They’re not men, and expecting them to lead a men’s hockey team to the pinnacle of sports godhood is honestly crazy. I think expecting steady year by year progress is what the doctor orders here, and while it may not play out on panarin’a timeline, it will for Mika, Igor, and Fox, and that’s still pretty great. 

Remember Adam Fox being as good as he is almost never happens in the nhl, and while laf and kakko are not that good, Fox really is a generational talent. Everyone else will need to follow a normal timeline which unfortunately takes time.

I sort of understand what you mean but a team with Kreider, Panarin, Fox, Zibanejad, Strome, and Shesty alone should be a playoff team.  I don't think anyone is expecting them to lead. We are just expecting them to somewhat perform considering the opposition has to game plan around the guys I mentioned above. It's actually pretty amazing that neither one of them really show too much considering how they aren't going to focused on very much. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

39 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I sort of understand what you mean but a team with Kreider, Panarin, Fox, Zibanejad, Strome, and Shesty alone should be a playoff team.  I don't think anyone is expecting them to lead. We are just expecting them to somewhat perform considering the opposition has to game plan around the guys I mentioned above. It's actually pretty amazing that neither one of them really show too much considering how they aren't going to focused on very much. 

Well kakko is on panarin’s line and it’s still early to place this critique on laf, however if he spends whole year on third line with blais and chytil who are both fine offensive players then absolutely this is valid.

let’s also not forget that today we are a playoff team 🙂

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

To laf and Kakko in would also add our defense. It needs seasoning too.