• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Need More From Lafrenière, Kakko

Phil

I saw a graphic today, both Kakko and Lafreniere are the most unproductive 1st and 2nd OA picks, respectively in the past decade. 

Lafreniere should go to the ECHL to send a message.  He fucked up. 

There isn't a single draft pick from the "rebuild" that isn't currently a potato. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

I saw a graphic today, both Kakko and Lafreniere are the most unproductive 1st and 2nd OA picks, respectively in the past decade. 

There isn't a single draft pick from the "rebuild" that isn't currently a potato. 

should of just traded them all while we had the chance. . . Kakko turning out to be a good third line grinder, at least we got Jesper Fast replacement out of him. 

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

I'm not sure how Lafreniere "fucked up." 

5 years from now, if the Rangers got nothing from 1 and 2 overall in successive drafts, that's on the Rangers organization. Not the players.

10 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

I'm not sure how Lafreniere "fucked up." 

5 years from now, if the Rangers got nothing from 1 and 2 overall in successive drafts, that's on the Rangers organization. Not the players.

I don't know how we can come to that conclusion, both of those players have been put in every possible position to succeed... By two management teams.

I really don't know what's wrong with them, and I really don't see how a number one overall and a number two overall and successive years can be so underwhelming, but they're being given a chance to play with star players and doing nothing with that chance.

I don't see what management can do differently at this point other than send them all to the AHL and let them get their confidence up there?

Edited by Pete
  • Applause 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't know how we can come to that conclusion, both of those players have been put in every possible position to succeed... By two management teams.

I really don't know what's wrong with them, and I really don't see how a number one overall and a number two overall and successive years can be so underwhelming, but they're being given a chance to play with star players and doing nothing with that chance.

I don't see what management can do differently at this point other than send them all to the AHL and let them get their confidence up there?

Management can reconsider how they "develop" players. Igor didn't come here until he was 25. Look how good he is. These kids that go straight to the NHL have never played pro hockey in their lives and now they're supposed to do what McDavid or Crosby did. The expectations are just unrealistic. 

Yes, they're playing with good players but why not dominate the lower levels first? Why not learn what it's like to be a pro? Outgrow each level before coming to the NHL. I get that there's pressure to just throw them to the wolves but who is that helping? 

The biggest element to "development" is confidence. Without confidence, you have nothing.

Edited by ThirtyONE
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

Give them some PP time and split up the first unit. 

I'm not worried about either. Sucks they aren't lighting it up, but that happens when you have a bunch of veterans in their prime playing good hockey. 

They're still trying to find their way. They'll get there. Kakko was strong on the puck. Lafreniere had a few scoring chances in his 1:47 of ice time

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Management can reconsider how they "develop" players. Igor didn't come here until he was 25. Look how good he is. These kids that go straight to the NHL have never played pro hockey in their lives and now they're supposed to do what McDavid or Crosby did. The expectations are just unrealistic. 

Yes, they're playing with good players but why not dominate the lower levels first? Why not learn what it's like to be a pro? Outgrow each level before coming to the NHL. I get that there's pressure to just throw them to the wolves but who is that helping? 

The biggest element to "development" is confidence. Without confidence, you have nothing.

Yea I mean I'd have sent Kakko down as a rookie. I'd send Laf and Miller down now. 

They've tried it both ways, look at Chytil.

Can't just say everything they're doing is wrong...cane we?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

He fucked up because he showed up in his second camp fat as shit. 

They said he lost weight. I think he looks a step quicker. I don't think his conditioning is great, but all of them slow throughout a period/game 

25 minutes ago, josh said:

Give them some PP time and split up the first unit. 

I'm not worried about either. Sucks they aren't lighting it up, but that happens when you have a bunch of veterans in their prime playing good hockey. 

They're still trying to find their way. They'll get there. Kakko was strong on the puck. Lafreniere had a few scoring chances in his 1:47 of ice time

I think Lafreniere needs confidence. I think he's closer to what he was projected to be and drafted as. Kakko? They turned a scoring machine into a defensive minded player who won't take risks with the puck.  Awesome job Rangers. Only you..  

• Applause 1

But Laf has really played that long with good players this season.Started with Mika and Kreider, Kreider got hot afterwards and Laf was moved with Chytil and Blais,they had a couple games where they looked good but Chytil really was MIA until last night. Then to 4th line.

Doesn't get much PP time either now that Strome Is back and the first unit stays on for over a minute and a half.

20 minutes ago, br-avery said:

But Laf has really played that long with good players this season.Started with Mika and Kreider, Kreider got hot afterwards and Laf was moved with Chytil and Blais,they had a couple games where they looked good but Chytil really was MIA until last night. Then to 4th line.

Doesn't get much PP time either now that Strome Is back and the first unit stays on for over a minute and a half.

I'm not terribly worried about Lafreniere. They will find a spot for him and he may get it going.  I don't see that with Kakko. What is he? Is he a scoring winger as drafted? Or is he just a defensive forward? Is Panarin playing like shit because he has Kakko with him (was very against playing with him last year). Is Kakko suffering because of that? Where can they put him, so he can unlock that offense he was drafted for?

I'd think putting him with Chytil  and Lafreniere would be good (Holy fuck is that the line I'm thinking of from last year and NOT Gauthier?). Put Blais out there with Panarin so he (10) stops playing like a disinterested bag of shit.  He obviously wants a certain kind of player with him.  I'm surprised Goodrow isn't there already.  

Gallant has done a lot of what he said he WOULDN'T do already. He's being like Quinn and is shuffling lines way too much. He's playing kids on the 4th line. He's not really defining roles for guys. He's not keeping extra roster guys fresh, by rotating them in. He's got some obvious favorites that shouldn't be every day players (Hunt, WTF has he done to earn the right to play EVERY game so far?).

Miller and Trouba hasn't looked good since last season.  Gallant will futz with the offensive lines, but can't split these 2? Miller seriously needs to sit or be moved to the third pair. Sorry folks. It's time to put Hajek in with Trouba. It worked pretty good in Troubas first year, yet hasn't been tried since. Idk. Nemeth and Trouba? I guess? 

Sorry for going off the topic. It just lead me to these points. IMO Gallant hasn't done much good here so far. Not exactly sure he knows what the fuck he's doing besides being a former player behind the bench, whom wants to be one of the boys again. 

• Applause 1

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm not terribly worried about Lafreniere. They will find a spot for him and he may get it going.  I don't see that with Kakko. What is he? Is he a scoring winger as drafted? Or is he just a defensive forward? Is Panarin playing like shit because he has Kakko with him (was very against playing with him last year). Is Kakko suffering because of that? Where can they put him, so he can unlock that offense he was drafted for?

I'd think putting him with Chytil  and Lafreniere would be good (Holy fuck is that the line I'm thinking of from last year and NOT Gauthier?). Put Blais out there with Panarin so he (10) stops playing like a disinterested bag of shit.  He obviously wants a certain kind of player with him.  I'm surprised Goodrow isn't there already.  

Gallant has done a lot of what he said he WOULDN'T do already. He's being like Quinn and is shuffling lines way too much. He's playing kids on the 4th line. He's not really defining roles for guys. He's not keeping extra roster guys fresh, by rotating them in. He's got some obvious favorites that shouldn't be every day players (Hunt, WTF has he done to earn the right to play EVERY game so far?).

Miller and Trouba hasn't looked good since last season.  Gallant will futz with the offensive lines, but can't split these 2? Miller seriously needs to sit or be moved to the third pair. Sorry folks. It's time to put Hajek in with Trouba. It worked pretty good in Troubas first year, yet hasn't been tried since. Idk. Nemeth and Trouba? I guess? 

Sorry for going off the topic. It just lead me to these points. IMO Gallant hasn't done much good here so far. Not exactly sure he knows what the fuck he's doing besides being a former player behind the bench, whom wants to be one of the boys again. 

You know I wouldn't mind seeing Chytil with Laf and Kakko,It's obvious right now that Kakko doesn't belong with Panarin at the moment. Kakko really hasn't shown a single thing offensively to warrant playing in the top 6 ,does he even shoot the puck?

But If you do a Chytil with Laf and Kakko and then you are still forcing Goodrow in top 6,where he doesn't belong.

Hunt I have no problem with , he's a decent 4th liner.

Season is still young and Im surprised despite their poor play that they have the record they have but lots of things to be worried about, main thing being is how Laf is being treated and how Kakko seemingly is turning intoJesper fast with even less offense.

4 minutes ago, br-avery said:

You know I wouldn't mind seeing Chytil with Laf and Kakko,It's obvious right now that Kakko doesn't belong with Panarin at the moment. Kakko really hasn't shown a single thing offensively to warrant playing in the top 6 ,does he even shoot the puck?

But If you do a Chytil with Laf and Kakko and then you are still forcing Goodrow in top 6,where he doesn't belong.

Season is still young and Im surprised despite their poor play that they have the record they have but lots of things to be worried about, main thing being is how Laf is being treated and how Kakko seemingly is turning intoJesper fast with even less offense.

I want to see Barron centering a couple young kids. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, br-avery said:

Goodrow is going there no matter what.  They have to justify that awful contract somehow (to themselves).  Blais should go there IMO. Kravstov should have been there. Be cool if Lafreniere switched wings and went there. I'd say Kreider,  but he clicks with Zibanejad too well. 

Edited by The Dude

Goodrow & Blais on the top two lines could work out well. Both the Zib-Kreider & Strome-Panarin should still be able to produce with a role player as the third. Then you can let Laf-Chytil-Kakko develop there own thing on the third line. It'll come, eventually.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:43 AM, ThirtyONE said:

But Igor wasn't a number 1 or 2 pick overall.

I would like for them to be a quarter of a player of David or Draisaitl 

Fucking oilers so lucky with high end prayers

1 hour ago, Phil said:

This only tells part of the story too. Raymond and Seider have showed skill and ability commensurate with being top picks. 

Laf had one nice play that one time and Kakko hasn't showed anything special in 2.1 seasons. They've shown no elite vision, no elite shot, no top-end hockey IQ... not to mention the skating. They are just JAGs.