• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Roster Challenge: Player From the Past to Play on the Current Roster

josh

Messier and Jagr are good choices. But would love to see a PP QBed by Fox and Leetch.

Player I would love to see in his prime , thoguh he was well past it when he played here for a season,  would be Guy Lafleur. Heck, he had been retired so long when he got here he was already in the Hall of Fame. Was far and away the most exciting player in the 1970s. 

• Cheers 1

You know what? I’m going to throw out a potentially interesting one…

How about 2003-2004 Bobby Holik? 25 goals, 31 assists, and was a +4 on a horrendous hockey team. He’d be a fantastic 3rd line center here. He could score, he hit, was a pain in the ass to play against (even though the organization used him in the complete wrong way) and he brought leadership and experience. He was great on faceoffs. Literally the ideally checking line center who was mean and could chip in offensively.

Interesting…..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Messier and Jagr are good choices. But would love to see a PP QBed by Fox and Leetch.

Player I would love to see in his prime , thoguh he was well past it when he played here for a season,  would be Guy Lafleur. Heck, he had been retired so long when he got here he was already in the Hall of Fame. Was far and away the most exciting player in the 1970s. 

Espo in his prime as well, Bugg!  That year he had 76 goals he was a one-man avalanche in front of the net. 

One night I remember going to the Nassau Coliseum to see the Bruins vs. the Isles back in early 70's...(Probably ''73).  Espo had like 8 goals in the game (I'm exaggerating), and they blew out the Islanders like 12-2.  Espo, when he scored late in the 3rd, standing in front, after the burying the rebound, pats Billy Smith on the head, like..."it's ok kid, you'll get there!"

36 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

You know what? I’m going to throw out a potentially interesting one…

How about 2003-2004 Bobby Holik? 25 goals, 31 assists, and was a +4 on a horrendous hockey team. He’d be a fantastic 3rd line center here. He could score, he hit, was a pain in the ass to play against (even though the organization used him in the complete wrong way) and he brought leadership and experience. He was great on faceoffs. Literally the ideally checking line center who was mean and could chip in offensively.

Interesting…..

I was going to put a list of guys in the initial thread, but wanted to see who people mentioned on their own.

I avoided 94 guys. Although tikanen hasn't been mentioned. 

I had Lindros, Bure, and Holik is certainly a candidate. 

A few more guys I'm surprised haven't been mentioned yet.

8 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

This is a great thread.  I’m torn between Messier and Lindros, I think I would give Lindros the edge, the guy had everything, speed, size, hands, shot and physical.

Surprised no mention of Lafleur

He was 107 when he played here lol 

• LOL 1

Lindros altered his game when he joined the Rangers, avoiding taking hits and relying on finesse.   It worked tremendously for about 50 games.  In late January he took a modest hit, suffered a then undiagnosed concussion, and tailed off dramatically.  I don't think you can choose him on the basis of those 50 games.

Messier was the complete package and the obvious choice.

Here's a player who would be perfect for us now: Walt Tkaczuk (in his 1969-1973 prime).  Tremendous two way second line center who made those who played with him much better.  A Rod Brind'mor analogue in the first half of his career, for those who started watching in the 80s or 90s.

• Like 1