• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#12) Rangers at Calgary Flames — Flaming Out 

Morphinity 2.0

32 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He had success in Arizona and Ottawa. It's not like his game changed. Another guy that just needed a chance and support from his coaches. 

Once again you're trying to make it about the Rangers. He had one good season in AZ then production dropped the following two years. Didn't work out in CHI or CBJ either. You're telling me out of those 3 teams he wasn't given a chance or support from coaches until he landed in Ottawa? C'mon man. Let's put some responsibilities on the players themselves and stop throwing the bulk of the blame on coaches. 

From where I see it, he's always had the talent but needed to mature in various ways to become the player he is now. It happens. 

The Duke had hot streaks in AZ and OTT before.  There was a hot start one year for the yottes and an all star selection before he petered out with the Sens.  Let's see how he does for a whole season, or two.

Everyone knows the warning signs were there when we were 6-2-2, so this is not a surprise.

There's just nothing good that can be said about the Nemeth, Reaves and Tinordi signings.  Libor Hajek would be an upgrade on the third pairing.  It's time to at least do that.  

• Like 1

This team has a serious problem. They simply don't control the puck at all. They play defense for what seems like 90% of the game. Even in the games they've won.

Their top 6 does either does not possess the ability to forecheck, win puck battles, and keep pressure on the opposing defense or they simply refuse to do it. 

I have no idea how they fix it. 

2 things that are causing the most issues:

2nd line: just awful. Biggest issue is panarin is not moving his feet. He stands there when he has the puck. He stands there when he doesn't. The Russian Turnover Machine is back and is in full force. Strome and Kakko need to do more, too. Kakko needs to be moved off that line. Maybe split up Panarin and Strome for a bit, because the line is a detriment right now.

Defensemen carrying the puck up the ice when they have nonidea what they are doing. Most specifically Lindgren and Trouba. They get the puck in/near their own zone. They skate right at their forwards, who then, don't know what to do and just stand there, only for Lindgren/Trouba to carry it wide, maybe into the corner, turn it over, and it's an odd man rush the other way. Even the "successful" puck carries by either end up shooting the puck behind the net for an at best 50/50 puck (see 31s post about lack of forecheck and puck battle wins for a spoiler alert) now the team is scrambling I'm the offensive zone, no structure, tripping over each other, lose the puck, and it's an odd man rush the other way. 

1 hour ago, josh said:

2 things that are causing the most issues:

2nd line: just awful. Biggest issue is panarin is not moving his feet. He stands there when he has the puck. He stands there when he doesn't. The Russian Turnover Machine is back and is in full force. Strome and Kakko need to do more, too. Kakko needs to be moved off that line. Maybe split up Panarin and Strome for a bit, because the line is a detriment right now.

Defensemen carrying the puck up the ice when they have nonidea what they are doing. Most specifically Lindgren and Trouba. They get the puck in/near their own zone. They skate right at their forwards, who then, don't know what to do and just stand there, only for Lindgren/Trouba to carry it wide, maybe into the corner, turn it over, and it's an odd man rush the other way. Even the "successful" puck carries by either end up shooting the puck behind the net for an at best 50/50 puck (see 31s post about lack of forecheck and puck battle wins for a spoiler alert) now the team is scrambling I'm the offensive zone, no structure, tripping over each other, lose the puck, and it's an odd man rush the other way. 

Trouba gains the puck in the D zone behind the red line, and usually, almost immediately, dumps it up the boards blindly. He never tries to skate it out (granted not always possible)  nor make anything close to a breakout pass. Instead it's a blind dump. Teams have scouted it; opposing defensemen are standing at the blue line along the wall waiting for his gift. Granted there are times when there may not be any other option, but it's almost every time he does this, even when nobody is near him. 

Not much point to dump and chase nor cycling when you aren't remotely competitive in puck battles. Which is why the refusal to take shots on net when a Ranger is open is all the more infuriating. Also, missing the net when a shot is taken. Or the annoying to the point of breaking things of Sam Rosen saying "that was a pass!". For soem reason for roughly the last decade this team has some kind of virus that they would rather make a pretty play than score a goal.

Edited by Bugg
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Shane Falco said:

Once again you're trying to make it about the Rangers. He had one good season in AZ then production dropped the following two years. Didn't work out in CHI or CBJ either. You're telling me out of those 3 teams he wasn't given a chance or support from coaches until he landed in Ottawa? C'mon man. Let's put some responsibilities on the players themselves and stop throwing the bulk of the blame on coaches. 

From where I see it, he's always had the talent but needed to mature in various ways to become the player he is now. It happens. 

The fact that he's still around and getting chances is the part that gets me. Everyone knew he had talent. Everyone knew he could score. Yet THE RANGERS wanted a more complete game out of him (trend) and deemed him a problem child due to him not changing his ways. Here he is how many years later, how many teams later and he's the same player, yet had found his niche for a season here and a season there with decent success. 

He puts up the numbers when you let him be the player he was drafted as. Like Torts was going to put up with a one dimensional offensive forward? Of course it didn't work in Columbus but still put up 19 points in 53 games. Torts tore him a new asshole on the way out. 

If you look at the numbers, he produced when he played, except for his 2nd year with Arizona. 

He just signed a 3 year deal with a contender.  His game has not changed.  Was it all attitude issues? 

My point? Use the players as what they were drafted as. Stop experimenting with constantly trying to change their games into complete players to the point that you take away from what they are good at. Live with warts. Not every player has to be perfect.  One dimensional scorers of all levels are still serviceable, not just your 40+ goal scorers.

Stop throwing away Duclairs. Stop throwing away Kravtsov's and Anderssons. This is what Gallant is supposed to be here for.  To find roles for every type of player they have. As of now, the only type of players available to him are 4th line "grinders". That's on the GM. That's all he brought in over the summer. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Trouba gains the puck in the D zone behind the red line, and usually, almost immediately, dumps it up the boards blindly. He never tries to skate it out (granted not always possible)  nor make anything close to a breakout pass. Instead it's a blind dump. Teams have scouted it; opposing defensemen are standing at the blue line along the wall waiting for his gift. Granted there are times when there may not be any other option, but it's almost every time he does this, even when nobody is near him. 

Not much point to dump and chase nor cycling when you aren't remotely competitive in puck battles. Which is why the refusal to take shots on net when a Ranger is open is all the more infuriating. Also, missing the net when a shot is taken. Or the annoying to the point of breaking things of Sam Rosen saying "that was a pass!". For soem reason for roughly the last decade this team has some kind of virus that they would rather make a pretty play than score a goal.

This is why I was against the influx of 4th line talent that they brought in. The top lines are still pretty weak as fuck and don't battle.  It's pretty easy to match up with a top 6 that is going to play the perimeter and do nothing but cross ice passes. They aren't harder to play against because Ryan Reaves is on the 4th line. They aren't harder to play against because they plugged in a 4th liner into a top 6 role. 

They needed to make a move that wasn't exactly there. They needed to add a top line player that can get dirty. Or atleast a guy that plays a different style than Zibanejad and Panarin. For all the guts and grit they added, they seem pretty fucking easy to play against. Blais can be a pinball all he wants. It's not making a difference in the offensive zone. 

They look better when they have guys taking the puck directly to the net. It's a different look.

You know who I'm going bring up, but nobody seems to see it but me. He seems to be the only player willing to do it. I'm not sure why they can't just let him do it. Like I said in another post. Warts and all. Let go of the fantasy of every player being this well rounded 2 way perfect player.  Play Gauthier and open up some fucking offense. Something.  Anything. Enough of this dump and don't chase. Enough tick tack toe passing. Just attack the net! Someone! It becomes contagious.  It becomes an option. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dunny said:

Strome, Lafreniere, Chytil, Blais, Hunt, and Kakko have combined for 6 goals in 63 games. 

Hopefully Strome can have a hot streak before the deadline to make his value a 1st rounder, so we can land another 1st round bust. 

• LOL 2

15 hours ago, Dunny said:

Strome, Lafreniere, Chytil, Blais, Hunt, and Kakko have combined for 6 goals in 63 games. 

So what are you trying to say with this quite arbitrary and pointless stat? What's the takeaway? Because all I see our collection of players who sometimes play together having cumulative point totals across cumulative games which doesn't look great, but also doesn't say anything because they don't play together and are pretty unrelated so it looks like you just grab some names out of a hat cuz you're trying to do what exactly?

Edited by Pete

• Phil unpinned this topic

Well...not a whole lot to say that's good about that egg we put up last night!!

........But, here are the Top 6 nominees for last night's Ozzy Quote of the GDT, sponsored by Rolaids: (Even the plop-plop-fizz-fizz ain't curing the puke we watched in this one!!!)

On 11/6/2021 at 10:23 PM, Keirik said:

Can you concuss a player already brain dead? 

This almost won!!!

On 11/6/2021 at 10:41 PM, josh said:

Drink anytime Sam or Joe says "clean faceoff win" for the opponent 

I may add this to the Drinking game rules...although we may die of alcohol poisoning!! LOL

On 11/6/2021 at 10:45 PM, jsrangers said:

my audio has been fine all night with one exception. The two clowns doing the broadcast are unlistenable and need to be taken out behind the wood shed.

On 11/6/2021 at 11:24 PM, Keirik said:

Feels like the first time…..feels like the very first timeee……..could be talking about sex or the the rangers getting a shot on goal 

On 11/6/2021 at 11:32 PM, Bugg said:

Dear Santa; can we get a power play that has guys in front of the net and hard shots on net? Signed, every fuckin' NYR fan

23 hours ago, Parsley said:

Well they didn’t blow a lead tonight. But they clearly blew. hole blow GIF

Normally I would pick a quote, but this GIF totally exemplifies what we all watched last night!  So the winning post for tonight’s GDT goes to: @Parsley for selecting the most fitting artwork!! 

Congrats, man!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Applause 1

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

I'm trying to say you'd probably want more goals out of that group lol.. Isn't that obvious?

You're like the Kool-aid man when it comes to Strome. 

Yea and you're like Stephan A Smith when it comes to ... everything. But why don't you keep your commentary about the players and not me?

Hunt has 6 career goals in 101 games. You're expecting more goals from him?

Strome and Kakko were hurt.

The only players on that list you'd expect something more from are Chytil and Lafreniere.

I won't even get into the sensationalism of the way the data was presented. The less alarmist and more accurate way to present it  is "Through 12 games these players have combined for 6 goals". But I get why it was presented the way it was.