• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Time for a Lafreniere Reset

Pete

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

I did not see a single report that said that. 

Not saying you're wrong, just saying I never saw any of that...which means for most fans the amount of sizzle superceded the amount of steak in terms of chatter around the draft. 

I mean we have TSN here with quotes from scouts saying the exact opposite. 

In the NHL, "immediate meaningful contribution" means points. 

I’m aware of that TSN report. The portion about “most everyone agrees upon” is bullshit. It also says “may be poised” which is scout speak for “we don’t know, so let’s be less commital” 

But either way. We are in the reality we are in and neither are there yet. Which is ok. 

On 2/3/2022 at 6:03 AM, Pete said:

Sorry but that's not true. 

And in fact it's the opposite. I'd rather he be showing the tools that made him a #1, even if it meant he wasn't scoring. 

That's why I'm higher on Kakko than Laf. Kakko isn't completely useless with the puck. Lafreniere plays like the puck might explode any minute and just tries to get rid of it as soon as he gets it. 

I'd try to get rid of it too and get off the ice if Chytil was my Center.

35 minutes ago, br-avery said:

Maybe. 

I'd try and say "My linemates sucks..." 

Season 3 Drama GIF by Animal Kingdom on TNT

I guess that's the difference between Lafreniere and others in his draft position. 

1 hour ago, br-avery said:

I'd like for people to watch him a little more closely.  No matter who his linemates are, the kid doesn't want the puck on his stick, especially along the boards.

I even wonder if he's nursing an injury of some sorts. Its uncanny and strange, because it's almost automatic.  Puck lands on his stick along the boards as they are entering zone? He curls around instantly and dumps it or flings it to a covered linemates skates. Hardly ever, will you see him take a puck deep and use his strength to shield the puck to extend a play, start a play, or go to the net. 

He doesn't want any contact. He'll do some face washing after a whistle, but he avoids contact in game. So much to the point that he puts players in bad spots when he does it.  

That play on the game winner the other night, when he had the puck behind the net and tried for a good bounce off a defender into the crease, is along the lines of what I expect from him. I thought that was smart. If he can start showing skilled smarts like that, I'll stop bitching about him. 

Maybe this layoff will be good for the entire team. To rest, heal and regroup mentally for those who are struggling.  Or to be hit by an asteroid in Hunts case. I mean seriously with this experiment. Enough. 

25 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'd like for people to watch him a little more closely.  No matter who his linemates are, the kid doesn't want the puck on his stick, especially along the boards.

I even wonder if he's nursing an injury of some sorts. Its uncanny and strange, because it's almost automatic.  Puck lands on his stick along the boards as they are entering zone? He curls around instantly and dumps it or flings it to a covered linemates skates. Hardly ever, will you see him take a puck deep and use his strength to shield the puck to extend a play, start a play, or go to the net. 

He doesn't want any contact. He'll do some face washing after a whistle, but he avoids contact in game. So much to the point that he puts players in bad spots when he does it.  

That play on the game winner the other night, when he had the puck behind the net and tried for a good bounce off a defender into the crease, is along the lines of what I expect from him. I thought that was smart. If he can start showing skilled smarts like that, I'll stop bitching about him. 

Maybe this layoff will be good for the entire team. To rest, heal and regroup mentally for those who are struggling.  Or to be hit by an asteroid in Hunts case. I mean seriously with this experiment. Enough. 

some of this is accurate. But I’ll challenge you to back back through video and watch when Lafreniere has the puck in the offensive zone. Look at the line mates. Are they in position to shoot? Are they going to the net? 

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

I feel like we have seen some confidence and growth just not at the pace we would like nor in the facets of his game we would like (scoring, playmaking). He is growing into a pro week by week and allowing him to play with the  top 2 lines for the rest of the season should prove fruitful to continue that development. I at least hope.....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, josh said:

some of this is accurate. But I’ll challenge you to back back through video and watch when Lafreniere has the puck in the offensive zone. Look at the line mates. Are they in position to shoot? Are they going to the net? 

He doesn't hold it long enough for them to get there. It's 3-5 feet past the blue line, curl, abandon or toss it to someone who is in a bad position to accept a pass.

When Gauthier became a regular and that kid line got started, all Gauthier would do was go to the front of the net, with or without the puck. He was setting screens and being a net front presence.  But Lafreniere was doing what I'm saying he does. Which made Gauthier turn into the puck carrier, who would take the puck in and find nobody infront of the net (because Lafreniere and Chytil are pussies), forcing him to swoop around the back of the net to the left side, and STILL have no passing options because the 2 bitches were moping around shying away from contact.

You're talking like Lafreniere would deke and dangle waiting for someone to get open or go to the net. It doesn't happen. Enter the zone, be scared to fight through checks, curl, dump in or dish it to a teammate who is in no position to do anything with the puck. That's what he does. 

4 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I feel like we have seen some confidence and growth just not at the pace we would like nor in the facets of his game we would like (scoring, playmaking). He is growing into a pro week by week and allowing him to play with the  top 2 lines for the rest of the season should prove fruitful to continue that development. I at least hope.....

Well, it's make or break then. If he can't contribute by being gifted top line minutes and being a supporting player, then he's a bust. If he can't support, he won't be able to carry a line like he's supposed to.

What then? Because he's had this opportunity a bunch of times already and we seem to be back to square one of "he just needs time to adjust and be a pro".

When that is typically said of a 1OA in his second season, it's not good. Absolutely zero flashes of brilliance or next level skill, and we are to hang our hats on him still getting a feel for the game? 

I'm not feeling it. But maybe this opportunity (again) can get him going in that direction. Sometimes it takes playing with elite talent to bring out elite talent. I'd have been more confident if he showed any elite skills over the last 2 seasons. Can anyone point out something he does that is eye opening and top level? Besides doughnut eating contests...

• 4 weeks later...

This was an interesting reread after what has been the best month of his career. I think all we can say now is that after being gifted this minutes lafreniere did in fact do something with them and looks much more like he belongs there than he did with chytil and whoever. 

will be interesting to see if he continues to break out down the stretch. Our chances of actually winning this year ride pretty heavily on some other players contributing to the team and he would certainly help. Shesty not going to win every game 1-0 or 2-1 

• VINNY! 1

I've been happy with his overall game lately. I think he really molds his games around who he's playing with. Grinders like Goodrow and scrubs like Gauthier/Chytil don't give him a lot of confidence or chance to make something happen. With Zibanejad? He's made a ton of great looks and executed difficult passes. Could've had three or four assists in the first two periods last night. Love the confidence he's gained to make plays. Wish the overall assist total was up, but I think time with Zibanejad and Kreider will help with that as well. Keep it up, kid.

Just now, Phil said:

He does, but he looks really good for the first time, ever. That backhand pass to Gauthier was confident as fuck.

Yeah. With any level of finishing luck and a goalie not named Thatcher Demko, he might have had three assists in the first ten minutes of last night's game. He looked confident and dangerous, and at last is showing at least a glimpse of what got him that #1 pick status. 

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

He's been lights out lately Ozzy. You've been preaching this guy all year. Both you and Josh for different reasons. Both of you guys deserve credit for that. 

Thanks Big man!  You knew it too, though!  We kept saying he's gonna just find it one day, and here he goes.  Even though the team looked like shit yesterday, I'm really not too worried.  They're gonna fix this and we're gonna see some good shit come playoff time!!!

Ready for Wednesday? 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Thanks Big man!  You knew it too, though!  We kept saying he's gonna just find it one day, and here he goes.  Even though the team looked like shit yesterday, I'm really not too worried.  They're gonna fix this and we're gonna see some good shit come playoff time!!!

Ready for Wednesday? 

Isn't it awesome, that we can write losses off and just look forward to the next game and not be biting our nails about the playoff picture?

Thanks for the hot start Shesty and Kreids!

• Keeps it 100 2

15 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Isn't it awesome, that we can write losses off and just look forward to the next game and not be biting our nails about the playoff picture?

Thanks for the hot start Shesty and Kreids!

3rd youngest team in the league with lots of very promising players for many years to come, JSM.  Tough for me to be short-sighted on this one.

I look forward to seeing Fox, Shesty, Laff, Kakko, Schneider, K' Andre, for another 7-10 years!!!   Hell, Trouba's only 28 years old.  This team is going to be very good for a long time.  I just try to keep patient through these rough games.

The thing that makes me feel most confident is that I believe we've found the perfect coach for this franchise.  I think Gallant will be the man that brings us to the promised land!

Edited by Ozzy