• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Strome Talking Extension

Phil

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'd still hate to see him go though.

45 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I was sold on extending but now I'm questioning that choice. Guy has lost his touch this year.

I think with Panarin scoring less Strome is looking less useful. I don’t know where to take this, we need both of them going. 

• Keeps it 100 1

46 minutes ago, siddious said:

I think with Panarin scoring less Strome is looking less useful. I don’t know where to take this, we need both of them going. 

it’s a combination of both of them. Panarin hasn’t been skating. Cross the blue line, stop (at most). Strome is great off the puck, getting open, giving another option to Panarin. If Panarin isnt skating, he can only pass to the trailer, rendering anything Strome does or doesn’t do moot. 
I think that line always looks like shit when clown skates is with them, mostly because he can’t really skate with those guys. 

if he doesn’t stay in NY, he should definitely go play with Crosby. I could see them clicking. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 2

35 minutes ago, josh said:

it’s a combination of both of them. Panarin hasn’t been skating. Cross the blue line, stop (at most). Strome is great off the puck, getting open, giving another option to Panarin. If Panarin isnt skating, he can only pass to the trailer, rendering anything Strome does or doesn’t do moot. 
I think that line always looks like shit when clown skates is with them, mostly because he can’t really skate with those guys. 

if he doesn’t stay in NY, he should definitely go play with Crosby. I could see them clicking. 

lmao

18 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Playing a regular shift with Panarin and getting 1:30 of power play time on every penalty, he has 9 goals in 45 games.  That's what, on pace for about 16.  We need a finisher to play with Panarin and on the PP.

We need a finisher on the PP?  Where does this come from? 

The PP is 4th in the league.  CK leads the league in PP goals and Zib is 5th.

• Like 1

There’s something off with both of them. Has been all season. 
Their point production hasn’t been awful

Panarin is at a 95-100 point pace and Strome has a in the 60-65 range. That’s about normal pace for Panarin and a bit below what you’d expect from Strome. But not awful

But only 22 goals between them. Neither have looked great. Playing basically even hockey at 5v5. 

Hopefully they figure it out some over the rest of season.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, josh said:

That’s like saying they don’t need a backup goalie because Shesterkin is playing great. 

they need a lefty shooter. 

Not even close to the same.  So take Strome out and put a lefty in the circle.  Now what are you doing with Panarin?  Moving him the the bumper? Panarin does his best work on the wall playing catch with Fox until the D breaks down.

5 hours ago, Long live the King said:

We need a finisher on the PP?  Where does this come from? 

The PP is 4th in the league.  CK leads the league in PP goals and Zib is 5th.

Okay, if you are satisfied with 9 goals from a guy playing that kind of minutes with Panarin both 5 on 5 and on the PP, fine, let's open up the checkbook long term for him and foreclose signing our guys coming off entry levels and bridge deals in the future.

It can be said that Strome is an artist, of sorts, having raised the practice of taking gratuitous offensive zone stick fouls to the level of an art form.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Phil said:

In the last episode of his podcast, Arthur Staple said he's leaning more toward them keeping Strome than not at this point, but had no real update on negotiations.

Agreed. They don’t want to let him go, and they couldn’t get an extension done during the season. But I think they figure it out this summer 

42 minutes ago, Phil said:

In the last episode of his podcast, Arthur Staple said he's leaning more toward them keeping Strome than not at this point, but had no real update on negotiations.

Sorry, I should have added to this: Staple also noted that Panarin was upset with the Buchnevich trade — a player he was friends with. Staple went on to suggest the Rangers may not want to go through that again by not working to keep his preferred center, who he is presumably close with, as well.

4 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

south park beat a dead horse GIF

I think Stromer is a goner after this year. 

Carry on.

Dont worry, Larry seems to have all the inside information this week. I'd bet he'll put out some good bullshit... I mean, inside information ASAP

• VINNY! 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Sorry, I should have added to this: Staple also noted that Panarin was upset with the Buchnevich trade — a player he was friends with. Staple went on to suggest the Rangers may not want to go through that again by not working to keep his preferred center, who he is presumably close with, as well.

Well that is interesting. I doubt Drury let's that stop him from making a line in the sand though. Strome needs to be team friendly to stay and if he isnt willing to do that then that isn't the organizations fault. I'd say that is leverage for Drury in negotiations.

25 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I wish there was a way to keep both Strome and Copp. But man, that may be damn near impossible. Who knows what happens during the summer? But I’d love to see both here long term.

If the Rangers can keep them both for under $11m, they should. The Rangers will have 11.7M to handle the offseason business, and will almost assuredly have to trade Nemeth to do anything of significance. Minor price to pay, really. I also think they push Reaves to retire and take a role on the team.

For example - this could work:

image.png

Leaves 13M to handle Chytil, Kakko, Blais, Laf, Miller, Jones next offseason 

• Like 1