• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#32) Rangers at Tampa Bay Lightning — New Year's Bash

Drew a Penalty

40 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Got to catch the third period and OT but on mute. Why was Gallant so pissed with 3.5 minutes left before we gave up the tying goal?

He was forced to use Kreider for that shift when kreider just left the bench during the whistle to test his ankle.  Stupid call by the referee

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

He was forced to use Kreider for that shift when kreider just left the bench during the whistle to test his ankle.  Stupid call by the referee

Yeah, Turk was hot, ready to drop the gloves with the referee. Instead, he almost nailed Reaves....🤣

Post calls it a "statement win".  Sorry, shootout win is not a statement win.  If we'd have lost after giving up tying goal 6 on 5, we'd be melting down.  Regulation win against TB with Vas in goal would be a statement win.

54 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Post calls it a "statement win".  Sorry, shootout win is not a statement win.  If we'd have lost after giving up tying goal 6 on 5, we'd be melting down.  Regulation win against TB with Vas in goal would be a statement win.

I mean Florida threw up 9 goals on this squad and the Rangers eeked out a fake win in the 2nd half of TBs back to back...that's certainly some kind of statement. 

Edited by Pete

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

I mean Florida threw up 9 goals on this squad and the Rangers eeked out a fake win in the 2nd half of TBs back to back...that's certainly some kind of statement. 

Florida threw up 9 goals against 3rd and 4th string goalies, the Rangers had the backup goalie, who gifted them two goals. Shesty wasn't back to his usual "elite" level yet, SV% of 0.893, but had been great in the shootout. Tampa is still missing key players, but I'd be happy with a "fake win" tomorrow...

6 minutes ago, Cr00zng said:

Florida threw up 9 goals against 3rd and 4th string goalies, the Rangers had the backup goalie, who gifted them two goals. Shesty wasn't back to his usual "elite" level yet, SV% of 0.893, but had been great in the shootout. Tampa is still missing key players, but I'd be happy with a "fake win" tomorrow...

Yea I understand you take the points but some point where you just have to accept that this is a pretty mediocre team that's beating other bad teams or teams with protocol issues.

Even if they make the playoffs, I wouldn't expect a run, or this much in a non-covid year.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea I understand you take the points but some point where you just have to accept that this is a pretty mediocre team that's beating other bad teams or teams with protocol issues.

Even if they make the playoffs, I wouldn't expect a run, or this much in a non-covid year.

I know you’re upset about Betty White but you need to relax

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

I would not call the #5 team in the league "mediocre team", regardless of the schedule and backups on the other teams. They still needed to win those games. The players and coaches know that they need to be better against playoff teams:

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/video/123121-postgame-goodrow/t-277437422/c-10061729?icmp=int_web_nyr_video_topnav

It's still early in the season and there's time to address this. You don't believe that they will, I do.

11 minutes ago, Cr00zng said:

I would not call the #5 team in the league "mediocre team", regardless of the schedule and backups on the other teams. They still needed to win those games. The players and coaches know that they need to be better against playoff teams:

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/video/123121-postgame-goodrow/t-277437422/c-10061729?icmp=int_web_nyr_video_topnav

It's still early in the season and there's time to address this. You don't believe that they will, I do.

I didn't say a word about what they will address. 🤔

What they are today is average. They've had a very generous schedule and not beaten the bigger tests. Just saying "we need to be better" doesn't make you better. 

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

I didn't say a word about what they will address. 🤔

What they are today is average. They've had a very generous schedule and not beaten the bigger tests. Just saying "we need to be better" doesn't make you better. 

No, you didn't not say that out directly, but certainly implied it with "mediocre team", "if they make the playoffs", etc.

For you, the glass is half empty, for me, it's half full. That's all...

1 minute ago, Cr00zng said:

No, you didn't not say that out directly, but certainly implied it with "mediocre team", "if they make the playoffs", etc.

For you, the glass is half empty, for me, it's half full. That's all...

Nah, not at all. If "this" team makes the playoffs, is one thing. If they make trades, it's not "this" team anymore...It's a different one. 

It's cool to be glass half full, but that doesn't mean the more realistic people are less than. 🙂

A Great big HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!! 

We would all like to thank Brian Elliot for his generosity!!! .......And here are the Top 10 nominees for last night's Ozzy Quote of the GDT, sponsored by Moet, or whatever that bottle of champagne was that was sitting next to me.

21 hours ago, Parsley said:

Good thing I'll be several hours deep into booze by that point.

19 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Lindgren still out?

Twitter search has become useless, I have to scroll through like 50 tweets of chicks who are 4s with Ranger jerseys on in their avis tweeting things like “Lindgrens beard is my life blood” and are simp liked into relevancy

15 hours ago, Bugg said:

Chytil on the PP, boobs on a bull, pointless....

14 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Elliot has been our best offensive player.  

14 hours ago, Phil said:

Corey Perry is the the offspring of an albino sewer rat king and no one can convince me otherwise.

13 hours ago, Phil said:

Betty White would probably be a better top-six RW than Dryden Hunt.

13 hours ago, shestYORKin said:

Amalie is a library you can hear Hajek fart in here

13 hours ago, Keirik said:

Speaking of sex tapes... 

"the best of Lundqvist. Every night at midnight" 

Yikes 

13 hours ago, josh said:

I don’t think I could watch a Henrik sex tape. Would destroy any ego I have left 

12 hours ago, Keirik said:

Seems like every Elliot save is livin on a prayer 

…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT, goes to our fearless leader @Phil, who perfectly described the likes of Corey Perry!!!

Many of us share your sentiment!!! 

Happy New Year, Fellas!!!    I have to get to bed now!!  LOL

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nah, not at all. If "this" team makes the playoffs, is one thing. If they make trades, it's not "this" team anymore...It's a different one. 

It's cool to be glass half full, but that doesn't mean the more realistic people are less than. 🙂

I was told that being realistic means that  I’m Negative Ass Richy

3 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Sometimes I don't think people writing the articles are watching the game. They barely got 2 points vs. a team with a washed up, back up goalie + several key players missing after blowing ANOTHER 3rd period lead late in the game. I'm glad for the 2 points but the statement last night was this team struggles to close out games against top-tier team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nah, not at all. If "this" team makes the playoffs, is one thing. If they make trades, it's not "this" team anymore*...It's a different one. 

*-emphasis mine..

I should've known not to discuss this subject with a lawyer... 😉 🤣

Either sides view of the glass is cool, but remains to be seen which one turns out to be realistic. 

• Cheers 1

A bad/average team can’t beat anyone. Bottom 3rd of the league.

A good team beats a bad and average team. Middle 3rd of the league. 

A great team beats a good team. Top 3rd. 

we are a good team. It’s that 1/3rd of games we still have trouble with while playing the great teams. I’ll take it though considering where we were previously. 

• Like 1

The Rangers have 20 wins and 12 losses, not talking SO or OT.

Of their 20 wins, 16 have come against teams outside the playoffs right now.

Of their 12 losses, 9 were against playoff teams.

That, to me, is average. They beat the bad teams and lose to the good ones. They just happen to have played more bad teams than good teams. (20 games against teams out of the playoffs and 12 against teams in the playoffs as of today).

It’s basically a different interpretation of the same thing. I just think the definition of an average team means flip of a coin. Never know on any given day who they will regularly beat. We know the Rangers this year will regularly beat that bottom third and meaty third of the league. It’s that upper echelon they clearly have work to do with. Good team but not a great team. 

Let’s not forget we have our own covid issues with missing our 1d and very effective 4c. This also very much should have been a regulation win but the goalie got absurdly lucky on two panarin shots he was four feet away from saving. 

Nobody is expecting the team to win the cup this year, but at this point the team should be expected to make the playoffs, and compete in a series or two, which makes them pretty good. Not gonna win, but that’s fine for now

I think if you want to really answer the question it’s that we are a lot better than last year, but how much better is still tbd and that’s a good place to be all things considered

21 minutes ago, Keirik said:

It’s basically a different interpretation of the same thing. I just think the definition of an average team means flip of a coin. Never know on any given day who they will regularly beat. We know the Rangers this year will regularly beat that bottom third and meaty third of the league. It’s that upper echelon they clearly have work to do with. Good team but not a great team. 

Sorry but when half the league makes the playoffs, and right now you have not really shown that you can beat playoff teams, that makes you average.

When they show they can consistently beat playoff teams then we can assess. Right now the record is clear. They're beating up on bad teams and teams with covid issues. They have not beaten many good teams, and not that it really matters because nobody expects them to get to the finals, but they have not beaten any powerhouse Western teams.

8 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Let’s not forget we have our own covid issues with missing our 1d and very effective 4c. This also very much should have been a regulation win but the goalie got absurdly lucky on two panarin shots he was four feet away from saving. 

Nobody is expecting the team to win the cup this year, but at this point the team should be expected to make the playoffs, and compete in a series or two, which makes them pretty good. Not gonna win, but that’s fine for now

I think if you want to really answer the question it’s that we are a lot better than last year, but how much better is still tbd and that’s a good place to be all things considered

Yes, it should have been a regulation when last night, with Tampa having many impact forwards on covid. 

With both teams at 100%, doubt this game is even close.

They really need to make some moves at the deadline to really compete past an R1.