• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

High School Hockey Player, Teddy Balkind, Dies After on Ice Collision

Keirik

The Connecticut high school hockey player who died this week after his neck was slit open by a skate during a tragic incident on the ice has been identified.

Teddy Balkind, a 10th grader at the St. Luke’s School in New Canaan, was fatally injured Thursday night during a private-school matchup.

During the game, Balkind fell to the ice. As he lay on the ground, another player who was near him was unable to stop in time, and the two collided, officials said.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/07/hs-hockey-player-teddy-balkind-died-after-ice-skate-sliced-neck/

• Phil changed the title to High School Hockey Player, Teddy Balkind, Dies After on Ice Collision

I'm 39 and they've been mandatory since I started, here. My kids have the Bauer Thomas Plekanec turtle necks with the Kevlar collars. Expensive, but cleaner than a neck guard.

I remember getting called up to Junior as a 15 Year Old, and getting to step on the ice for warmup with no helmet, no neck guard. It was glorious. I was cooler than all my friends. I'm sure the girls were wet just seeing me like that, however, that shit has potential consequences.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:20 AM, Dunny said:

I'm 39 and they've been mandatory since I started, here. My kids have the Bauer Thomas Plekanec turtle necks with the Kevlar collars. Expensive, but cleaner than a neck guard.

I remember getting called up to Junior as a 15 Year Old, and getting to step on the ice for warmup with no helmet, no neck guard. It was glorious. I was cooler than all my friends. I'm sure the girls were wet just seeing me like that, however, that shit has potential consequences.

Im wet just thinking about you like that 

On 1/10/2022 at 11:20 AM, Dunny said:

Yeah,  no one wore their helmets at warmups. Best time to let the flow just flow lol 

On 1/10/2022 at 10:20 AM, Dunny said:

We had it arranged so that we went out for warm ups without helmets (for the girls) while the team manager brought the helmets from the locker room to the bench.  We had to put the hats on once we began shooting pucks at the goalies.

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

CTE is a helluva drug. 

Yet everyone I remember getting absolutely destroyed on a weekly basis isn't a drug addict, and hasn't killed themselves.

CTE science is wonky. They don't know much. I hold it in the same regard as fibromyalgia, IBS, and Long Covid.

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

Yet everyone I remember getting absolutely destroyed on a weekly basis isn't a drug addict, and hasn't killed themselves.

CTE science is wonky. They don't know much. I hold it in the same regard as fibromyalgia, IBS, and Long Covid.

Yeah, considering they can only research dead people who give permission, it's hard to make progress there. Not everyone with CTE is a drug addict or commit suicide. Depends on severity and brain chemistry. And frankly they could be a drug addict and you would never know it.

But a gray, we certainly know that it's real, how much we know about it will continue to evolve.