• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Can Obtain Multiple Big Name 'Rental Properties' Before Deadline

In the excerpt, he specifically mentions John Klingberg from Dallas.

You can add Dallas’ right defenseman John Klingberg to the endless list of potential marquee rental properties who will be attached to the Rangers over the next 10 weeks approaching the deadline because the fact is general manager Chris Drury owns enough cap space and prized prospects to get any one (any two?) he would want. 

https://nypost.com/2022/01/08/cale-makar-nhls-youngsters-taking-league-to-new-heights/

Edited by RichieNextel305

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Brooks: Rangers Can Obtain Multiple Big Name 'rental Properties' Before Deadline
  • Phil changed the title to Rangers Can Obtain Multiple Big Name 'Rental Properties' Before Deadline

It’s a bit of a long shot since he has a full ntc I believe, but I’d really see if I could really wow the Kraken into trading us Yanni Gourde and them retaining salary along the way. He’s only at 5.1 but I do want to keep Strome and want a real 3c. If you could get them to retain 2.5m which isn’t earth shattering and wow them with a package of Kravtsov, Chytil, and a pick, you get a 2x cup winner, decent from the dot, can pk, put up points, probably would do well with Alf since they are both from French Canada, and would be very manageable for 3 more seasons. 
    I really think that fits so well with us. An up the middle of Ziby, Strome, Gourde is nothing to turn your noses at and if his salary was only half, it’s the equivalent of Chytils cap hit basically. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1

48 minutes ago, Keirik said:

It’s a bit of a long shot since he has a full ntc I believe, but I’d really see if I could really wow the Kraken into trading us Yanni Gourde and them retaining salary along the way. He’s only at 5.1 but I do want to keep Strome and want a real 3c. If you could get them to retain 2.5m which isn’t earth shattering and wow them with a package of Kravtsov, Chytil, and a pick, you get a 2x cup winner, decent from the dot, can pk, put up points, probably would do well with Alf since they are both from French Canada, and would be very manageable for 3 more seasons. 
    I really think that fits so well with us. An up the middle of Ziby, Strome, Gourde is nothing to turn your noses at and if his salary was only half, it’s the equivalent of Chytils cap hit basically. 

I don't know all the players well and I watched Hertl highlights. As tempting to get a scorer like that I know the cost will be high not only in money but players

the hell with a rental unless it comes cheap, if this guy could be had it would seem that we could keep most of what we have. A solid 3c who can win FOs. We need FO wins when the game is on the line

20 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I wouldn’t say we don’t need D. I would say we don’t need to swing for the fences there.

We don’t need an offensive D though, that’s for sure. We could use a solidified experienced  3d that we can trust with playoff minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 - Brooksie, if you keep stealing ideas from this board, we're going to take royalties.

2 - Klingberg is interesting - any time you can add a player like him is interesting at least - but he feels like the wrong fit for us. We need a bottom 4 pairing LD who can steady things up and help drive possession - there are likely better fits for the assets.

• Cheers 1

Isn't there a saying, every team wants to add a defenseman at the deadline?

I wouldn't mind getting a reliable #6 for the playoffs. I brought up Klingberg in another thread but at the end of the day I don't think that, with what it would take to get him, it's worth it for us. Not a place we need significant upgrades. Just maybe a vet who can keep Tinordi out of the lineup in the playoffs

Maybe Buffalo would retain money on Colin Miller? a mid range pick or two for Colin Miller at 50% would be a decent addition. Guy who has been to a finals before (with Gallant in Vegas) and a pending UFA whose game has only started to suffer a lot more when he got to Buffalo

Otherwise, on forward, I agree with the consensus that, Pavelski has to be the target. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

If they're looking for D, I check on the availability of Leddy from Detroit. Checks all the boxes. 

Depends on where the Wings are in the standings. Theyre 2 points back (albeit with 5 more games played than Boston) but part of me thinks that, as long as they think they can play meaningful games down the stretch, they'll want to stand pat. They already have extra picks in this draft (not that they wouldn't welcome more) and the experience for their young players to make a push for a playoff spot down the stretch could be just as valuable

1 minute ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Depends on where the Wings are in the standings. Theyre 2 points back (albeit with 5 more games played than Boston) but part of me thinks that, as long as they think they can play meaningful games down the stretch, they'll want to stand pat. They already have extra picks in this draft (not that they wouldn't welcome more) and the experience for their young players to make a push for a playoff spot down the stretch could be just as valuable

4 of their 6 D men are UFA at the end of the season.  As are Namestnikov and Gagner.

They don't have much depth on the roster and have 2 RWs, one of which is Zadina, whom has not produced when given opportunity (he is likely available now.. cough cough Chytil swap).

Their competition is so much better than they are. They should nose dive shortly. Maybe they resign some of these guys, but I think Yzerman would rather stock pile some prospects and picks, with the assumed whiff on Zadina.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G1000 said:

1 - Brooksie, if you keep stealing ideas from this board, we're going to take royalties.

2 - Klingberg is interesting - any time you can add a player like him is interesting at least - but he feels like the wrong fit for us. We need a bottom 4 pairing LD who can steady things up and help drive possession - there are likely better fits for the assets.

Klingberg makes no sense for the Rangers. None. He's a RD. They have Fox and Trouba there, neither of whom is going anywhere anytime soon. They also have Lundkivst, who can barely register a PP presence himself. If Klingberg is upset about "not being appreciated," why would he agree to go to a team where he's going to be on their third pair?

• Like 1

Just now, The Dude said:

4 of their 6 D men are UFA at the end of the season.  As are Namestnikov and Gagner.

They don't have much depth on the roster and have 2 RWs, one of which is Zadina, whom has not produced when given opportunity (he is likely available now.. cough cough Chytil swap).

Their competition is so much better than they are. They should nose dive shortly. Maybe they resign some of these guys, but I think Yzerman would rather stock pile some prospects and picks, with the assumed whiff on Zadina.

If they do, then they obviously will be big time sellers. Not saying they won't nosedive or won't be sellers at all. Just depends on Yzerman's mentality. He's pretty cutthroat so I can definitely see him dumping off everyone they can for picks and prospects. I could also see him thinking they're already further ahead of their rebuild that you would think they would be, so maybe letting them try to make a push and get that 'every game is a playoff game' experience for the kids

Klingberg is Yandle revisited. No thanks.

They need another Nemeth type, just good, instead of bad.

Forward depth is an obvious concern. Maximize that cap space, and taxi squad. Just add bodies. Maybe one top 6 type, but just bodies, in general.

• Like 2
  • LMFAO 1
  • Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1

Yanni Gourde. We are in a unique spot where we have plenty of assets. Why throw them away on a 100% rental when you can use the, to obtain an affordable guy that doesn’t affect our cap (with retention) for the next three years? 

think about just how different this roster is if you replace Chytil as a 3c with Gourde for the same price? 
french connection of Alf Gourde Gaut 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

Yanni Gourde. We are in a unique spot where we have plenty of assets. Why throw them away on a 100% rental when you can use the, to obtain an affordable guy that doesn’t affect our cap (with retention) for the next three years? 

think about just how different this roster is if you replace Chytil as a 3c with Gourde for the same price? 
french connection of Alf Gourde Gaut 

I doubt a new team that's already paying a significant number in actual salary wants to pay $2.6M for a guy not even on their roster. I can't see the Kraken retaining on his contract at all. Would be awesome but just seems a little too Chelish.

11 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Klingberg is Yandle revisited. No thanks.

They need another Nemeth type, just good, instead of bad.

Forward depth is an obvious concern. Maximize that cap space, and taxi squad. Just add bodies. Maybe one top 6 type, but just bodies, in general.

This is one of the best/funniest explanation of what the team needs I have seen on this board