• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Can Obtain Multiple Big Name 'Rental Properties' Before Deadline

Just now, Drew a Penalty said:

I doubt a new team that's already paying a significant number in actual salary wants to pay $2.6M for a guy not even on their roster. I can't see the Kraken retaining on his contract at all. Would be awesome but just seems a little too Chelish.

If we are talking about them getting 2-3 pieces of a future I think it’s possible. Not saying probable, but possible. I’m sure part of the reason they selected him is because he does only have a partial ntc after this season. 

9 minutes ago, Keirik said:

If we are talking about them getting 2-3 pieces of a future I think it’s possible. Not saying probable, but possible. I’m sure part of the reason they selected him is because he does only have a partial ntc after this season. 

I just can't see it. They have other assets they can rent out instead without having dead cap for nearly four seasons. 

12 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

This is one of the best/funniest explanation of what the team needs I have seen on this board

Yeah, but it's tough to do. All these "quiet and steady" types seem to end up blowing.

I don't think the guy I laid out is obviously available, my theory is more along the lines of finding a body and see how they fit in to the NYR situation and system.

Somebody like Justin Holl is out of style in Toronto, but may be a revelation in NY. Who knows.

39 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I just can't see it. They have other assets they can rent out instead without having dead cap for nearly four seasons. 

If he were 26 I’d agree. I believe he’s 30. Imagine flipping a thirty year old for 2 young guys like Krav ,Chytil, and another asset. I can’t see them thinking they need Gourde with 30m in cap space this coming offseason. 

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

If he were 26 I’d agree. I believe he’s 30. Imagine flipping a thirty year old for 2 young guys like Krav ,Chytil, and another asset. I can’t see them thinking they need Gourde with 30m in cap space this coming offseason. 

Again, new team paying mostly full salary for most of the guys on the roster. I can't see ownership biting. Why should they trade and then retain on an effective player for two possible busts and a pick? They lack any sort of system at the moment, but that can be easily filled by trading guys like Giordano, Donskoi, Eberle, etc. over the next two seasons. Trading Gourde with half retention makes no sense for a new franchise trying to compete sooner rather than later.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Again, new team paying mostly full salary for most of the guys on the roster. I can't see ownership biting. Why should they trade and then retain on an effective player for two possible busts and a pick? They lack any sort of system at the moment, but that can be easily filled by trading guys like Giordano, Donskoi, Eberle, etc. over the next two seasons. Trading Gourde with half retention makes no sense for a new franchise trying to compete sooner rather than later.

Chytil might be a bust. Probably is actually. No way Kravtsov can be considered a bust just because he doesn't want to play in Hartford. He's still a high level prospect. Hell do Lundkvist and Kravtsov then and dump Chytil in the offseason. Regardless both can play at the NHL level right now. Obviously they aren't competing this year but still. 

I'm all for "going all in" but I line the idea of all in that, helps us more than just this season rental. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Chytil might be a bust. Probably is actually. No way Kravtsov can be considered a bust just because he doesn't want to play in Hartford. He's still a high level prospect. Hell do Lundkvist and Kravtsov then and dump Chytil in the offseason. Regardless both can play at the NHL level right now. Obviously they aren't competing this year but still. 

I'm all for "going all in" but I line the idea of all in that, helps us more than just this season rental. 

I completely agree with the sentiment I just think Gourde isn't the right target for right now. Maybe they'll be more willing to retain two years down the line.

28 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I completely agree with the sentiment I just think Gourde isn't the right target for right now. Maybe they'll be more willing to retain two years down the line.

You're probably right but a guy can dream right? Lol

It's why I said they would need to be wow'd but I think we are one of the few teams that potentially could and not miss a beat. 

We’ve had anchors before that are simply unplayable. While Nemeth doesn’t fit that mold, there should be options that are better and won’t cost a ton at the deadline.

The blue line can use some assistance, but more in the form of depth, not splash.

I would much prefer to save the splash move for a move up front. And honestly, there are a lot of avenues to explore.

• Cheers 1

https://www.nhl.com/news/over-the-boards-dan-rosen-mailbag-january-5/c-329468724?tid=277729162

Article suggests Pavelski, Reilly Smith

'What changes to the New York Rangers lineup do you think need to be made? Trades, extensions, etc.? '

'... They should be in the market for a versatile right wing who could seamlessly fit on either of their top two lines...The two players who intrigue me for a top-six role at right wing are Reilly Smith of the Vegas Golden Knights and Joe Pavelski of the Dallas Stars. They're versatile and each is in the last season of his contract. Smith could be available because Vegas must clear NHL salary cap space when it's time to activate center Jack Eichel, and he thrived playing for New York coach Gerard Gallant in Vegas. Pavelski's availability depends on where the Stars are in the standings. If they're in, or close to a spot in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, I'd be surprised if the traded him. If they fall out of contention, he could available.'