• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kaapo Kakko Stinks

Phil

17 hours ago, Phil said:

This is a chicken/egg-type scenario. "They weren't given PP time." Correct. Because they are utterly ineffective at even strength. PP time isn't given to unproductive players, it's given to those who produce, because they're most likely to convert on special teams. Especially on a team gunning for the playoffs.

Also:

Its allllllll part of the plan.  Don't let the kids play the PP.  Stifle their production.  Ensure they won't be worth much when their ELC expires.  Profit from lower cap hits and then let let them off their chains to produce more.

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Its allllllll part of the plan.  Don't let the kids play the PP.  Stifle their production.  Ensure they won't be worth much when their ELC expires.  Profit from lower cap hits and then let let them off their chains to produce more.

I'm digging this plan of attack!  😉

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

if there was any sign that it would work out this way it would be a great plan bc right now they're both playing themselves onto a cap strapped team

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Tough to make an argument against the topic title after really watching him for two periods last night.  

He stinks.

Total floater. Complete non-factor. End-of-career Rick Nash. Absolutely zero offensive support, but he's a reliable defensive player, so we're just supposed to be OK with it.

17 minutes ago, CBrowningPI said:

I didn't realize Kappo is the softest player on the Rangers, with a total of 4 ! Hits this season. I went to the stats to try and defend him a bit but could not get over his lack of physicality. At least Laf adds that to his game ( 60 hits ).

It's early.  You know he's (looks it up AGAIN) ONLY 20!? Who cares how many games he's played. He's a work in progress.  What did you expect from the 2nd OA pick? It's not like he was the 1st OA. Jeez, some people need to learn patience.  Atleast he will suck but be affordable!!  Yayyy.

1 hour ago, CBrowningPI said:

I didn't realize Kappo is the softest player on the Rangers, with a total of 4 ! Hits this season. I went to the stats to try and defend him a bit but could not get over his lack of physicality. At least Laf adds that to his game ( 60 hits ).

He goes out of his way to avoid even accidently bumping into people.  Was going to post it after one of his first shifts last night but did feel like piling on. There was a play in front of our bench along the boards SJ guy goes to play the puck Kakko chasing him down from center ice. SJ guy beats him to the puck buy a c-hair and flips it into the zone, Kakko completely slams on the brakes never touches the guy and skates 5 feet up the boards and steps through the door for a change. 

Thankfully it was late and nobody else was around because I was laughing and shaking my head just thinking about how much his board play has improved and how tough he is to play against and how that's what we're hanging our hat on these days. 

Can't wait for his next flash of competence a nice pass, assist, maybe even a goal over the next dozen or so games so we can pretend the last 21 games of nothing never happened.

3 hours ago, CBrowningPI said:

Actually,Chytil is softer.(not counting stats)

Edited by br-avery

On 1/13/2022 at 8:04 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Too bad Kravtsov sniffed that out. 

• LOL 1

12 hours ago, Pete said:

Kakko and Lafreniere suck. They'd be in the AHL if it wasn't for Shesterkin and a powerplant they don't contribute to. 

Nah, they're both clearly nhl players. But, obviously, they're offense doesn't come close to the expectations of their draft positions 

1 hour ago, josh said:

Nah, they're both clearly nhl players. But, obviously, they're offense doesn't come close to the expectations of their draft positions 

I might agree with you were they grooming 3rd liners. They're not. 

And I don't see what makes them NHL players other than their ability to get pucks deep and not get scored on.

That said, I stand by my point...If the Rangers were bottom feeders they might not be here. The wins are masking allllll the deficiencies, of which Kakko and Laf are largely responsible. 

56 minutes ago, Pete said:

I might agree with you were they grooming 3rd liners. They're not. 

And I don't see what makes them NHL players other than their ability to get pucks deep and not get scored on.

That said, I stand by my point...If the Rangers were bottom feeders they might not be here. The wins are masking allllll the deficiencies, of which Kakko and Laf are largely responsible. 

This is the problem with watching your own team everyday.  We get fixated on things that annoy us about our young guys while pointing to highlights of other youngsters around the league.

End of November into December we loved Kakko's 9 points in 7 games.  Laf was playing much better since Panarin went on the COVID list and was gonna be the RW on that line before going on the COVID list himself.  They're still young.  Consistency will come.

I dont think either one of them is what's holding the Rangers back from being elite.  3C and 2 or 3 more reliable D are.