• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kathy Hochul Wants to Move MSG

Blue Heaven

https://buffalochronicle.com/2022/01/11/kathy-hochul-is-preparing-to-relocate-madison-square-garden-and-msgs-james-dolan-is-generally-onboard/

Governor Kathy Hochul is preparing to relocate Madison Square Garden to a permanent new home on the site of Dewitt Clinton Park, a 5.8 acre city park in a trendy section of Manhattan, overlooking the Hudson River between 52nd and 54th Streets The relocation of the nearly 20,000-seat multi-use arena event center is intended to accelerate Hochul’s sweeping improvement plan for Penn Station

“The new arena is expected to be a super-modern, super-comfortable venue in a corner of Manhattan that is very centrally located but doesn’t feel as hyper-congested and gritty as the 33rd Street location,” an official with Empire State Development explains.  “The new arena’s construction cost is expected to cost New York State taxpayers $800 million

Madison Square Garden was granted a 50-year operating permit in 1963, and was granted a 10-year extension in 2013.  That 10-year operating permit expires in 2023. 

Sources say that Dolan is “generally onboard” with Hochul’s proposal, but is concerned that the Dewitt Clinton Park site is located a full four city blocks from the nearest subway station at Times Square.  He thinks the obstacle could most easily be resolved by constructing a 1.5-mile light rail train on 53rd Street, from Dewitt Clinton Park to Second Avenue.

WTF, then what was the point of renovating MSG for a few years if it would be eventually moved?  

Just now, Drew a Penalty said:

That's not exactly a convenient location, but I guess nowhere in the city really is. I'm all for a new location. I appreciate the history of MSG but everything about Penn Station and its surrounding area is grimy.

This would likely also help with persistent ice issues due to temperature control problems. MSG ice is elevated multiple stories, so rising heat has always been problematic as the season gets deeper.

Didn’t they just spend millions renovating msg? 

9 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

https://buffalochronicle.com/2022/01/11/kathy-hochul-is-preparing-to-relocate-madison-square-garden-and-msgs-james-dolan-is-generally-onboard/

WTF, then what was the point of renovating MSG for a few years if it would be eventually moved?  

Duh, they are just going to pick it up and move it there!

Fuck it, why not a new MSG? 

I'm on board with that...Phil has a few good points above too!  Count me in!

...Just make it hold more than 18.200 or whatever the hell "sell-out" was.  I'd say like 25,000!!  That would be a sick sounding crowd when we score a goal in there!!  LOL

41 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Love Nostalgia BUT

This seems like an all out win!! Maybe a dedicated parking lot?

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is now going to make going to Rangers games impossible for the average person. Live sports are for the wealthy elite, only.

I was going to say im all for moving the garden but how much more could they possibly charge for tickets and beer?

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is now going to make going to Rangers games impossible for the average person. Live sports are for the wealthy elite, only.

Oh, 100%. Moving it makes a lot of sense, though. The Jets' west side stadium was proposed under similar pretense, located just south of this over the Hudson Station rail yards.

Having a major arena in the heart of Manhattan is problematic for traffic, has no direct connection to New Jersey, or relative distance to either the FDR or NY 9A.

The real downside to the location they're looking at is the distance to public transit, with just one line in the vicinity, and it being like four blocks away.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Oh, 100%. Moving it makes a lot of sense, though. The Jets' west side stadium was proposed under similar pretense, located just south of this over the Hudson Station rail yards.

Having a major arena in the heart of Manhattan is problematic for traffic, has no direct connection to New Jersey, or relative distance to either the FDR or NY 9A.

The real downside to the location they're looking at is the distance to public transit, with just one line in the vicinity, and it being like four blocks away.

Yea I think the idea is that they also run some sort of train to the garden from Penn. How viable that is I have no idea.

6 minutes ago, siddious said:

Yea I think the idea is that they also run some sort of train to the garden from Penn. How viable that is I have no idea.

Right. Or have some public transit options constructed along with it to make more direct connections to it.

16 minutes ago, siddious said:

What do you think happens first?

a) Rangers win another Cup

b) MTA completes an extension of a train line from Penn to new west side MSG location

c) The sun supernovas

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

What?

The literal location of MSG is perfectly nestled for public transit. It sits directly above the biggest public transit hub in Manhattan, but the distance to any bridge or tunnel, especially to New Jersey, makes for a motor vehicle nightmare. Probably a dumb question, but have you ever driven a significant stretch of 34th street in heavy traffic trying to get to the tunnel? It's a nightmare. Imagine what would happen after every single game ends.

2 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

What do you think happens first?

a) Rangers win another Cup

b) MTA completes an extension of a train line from Penn to new west side MSG location

c) The sun supernovas

I am not saying anything is set in stone but its not as far off as you think. There has been talk about expanding trains all over NYC recently and with Bidens infrastructure money (if it ends up coming in) I dont see why not. The West side has been historically under-accessible and it would be a boon for developers. Especially with the prospect of MSG going over there.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

The literal location of MSG is perfectly nestled for public transit. It sits directly above the biggest public transit hub in Manhattan, but the distance to any bridge or tunnel, especially to New Jersey, makes for a motor vehicle nightmare. Probably a dumb question, but have you ever driven a significant stretch of 34th street in heavy traffic trying to get to the tunnel? It's a nightmare. Imagine what would happen after every single game ends.

Very few people drive to games anyway.It's not a blocker.

Currently It's right in the middle of all train lines and PATH, NJT, and LIRR. There is literally no better location for it.

The new location, as far as public transportation and driving goes, is trash.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

As someone who drives in the city at least once a week I can tell you its arguably the worst area to drive in. There and wall street area.

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

I am not saying anything is set in stone but its not as far off as you think. There has been talk about expanding trains all over NYC recently and with Bidens infrastructure money (if it ends up coming in) I dont see why not. The West side has been historically under-accessible and it would be a boon for developers. Especially with the prospect of MSG going over there.

I don't doubt there's money. But where there's money, the MTA always finds a way to funnel it into a black hole and drag out a project. 

Even the will to do so isn't enough. The Upper East Side is also historically underserved by the subway and that took nearly a century to get 3 stations done. Maybe we'll live to see another 3. Maybe. 

1 minute ago, Morphinity said:

I don't doubt there's money. But where there's money, the MTA always finds a way to funnel it into a black hole and drag out a project. 

Even the will to do so isn't enough. The Upper East Side is also historically underserved by the subway and that took nearly a century to get 3 stations done. Maybe we'll live to see another 3. Maybe. 

Yea the MTA is a separate issue. But with a project like MSG I would think it would have top priority for the city who WANTS them to move. 

As far as most people not driving to the games.. this is true but that is also largely due to it being incredibly hard to do so with traffic and parking prices.