• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kathy Hochul Wants to Move MSG

Blue Heaven

6 minutes ago, josh said:

< 6 acres doesnt seem like enough space.

According to the article in the OP, the area they're looking at is nearly identical in footprint to the current square block they're in now, and the plan would be to utilize the waterfront to extend public park space to increase the overall footprint of the would-be new arena.

2 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

That's not exactly a convenient location, but I guess nowhere in the city really is. I'm all for a new location. I appreciate the history of MSG but everything about Penn Station and its surrounding area is grimy.

And Hells Kitchen isn’t grimy? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Fuck it, why not a new MSG? 

I'm on board with that...Phil has a few good points above too!  Count me in!

...Just make it hold more than 18.200 or whatever the hell "sell-out" was.  I'd say like 25,000!!  That would be a sick sounding crowd when we score a goal in there!!  LOL

Umm yeah and also have a train station right under it to make it easily accessible for fans from all over.  Ain't nobody driving in there to watch a game.  Not through that circus of a city and what it's become.  

• VINNY! 2

1 hour ago, Phil said:

The literal location of MSG is perfectly nestled for public transit. It sits directly above the biggest public transit hub in Manhattan, but the distance to any bridge or tunnel, especially to New Jersey, makes for a motor vehicle nightmare. Probably a dumb question, but have you ever driven a significant stretch of 34th street in heavy traffic trying to get to the tunnel? It's a nightmare. Imagine what would happen after every single game ends.

Why would you? When,  like you said, there's a train station in the basement...  You can take a train from jersey Penn. Not just LI and the subway system.  

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Oh, 100%. Moving it makes a lot of sense, though. The Jets' west side stadium was proposed under similar pretense, located just south of this over the Hudson Station rail yards.

Having a major arena in the heart of Manhattan is problematic for traffic, has no direct connection to New Jersey, or relative distance to either the FDR or NY 9A.

The real downside to the location they're looking at is the distance to public transit, with just one line in the vicinity, and it being like four blocks away.

The 7 line extension isn't  nearby, and the A and the C stop several block over. No PATH nor LIRR right there.The impetus is the City and state want the MSG 33rd Street site back on the tax rolls and conform Penn Station more sensibly without MSG there. And this West Side site as a little-used park doesn't generate any tax revenue nor much economic activity right now. 

Edited by Bugg

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Oh man. Watching her speak is....interesting.

Cuomo was going to dump her until all that. Basically the wife of a rich guy who bought a safe Dem suburban Buffalo Congressional seat and parlayed it into the Lt.Gov. spot. 

MSG is essentially a new arena after an overhaul that cost as much as a new arena.  A new fancy Penn Station is not needed for the same reasons the old Penn Station was torn down.  Specifically, a high percentage of passengers are LIRR, not Amtrak, but it's only the latter who use the above ground portion of the station.  A new station at terrific cost to the public is not needed for Amtrak passengers, who are already the most subsidized specimens on two legs on the planet.  Having the busiest arena in the country on top of a transportation hub is a good idea.  

I have read much about the old station.  Distinctive as it was architecturally, it was a product of the grandiosity and hubris of Pennsylvania Railroad executives circa 1900.  It was designed for much higher Penn RR usage, which did not materialize.  Beautiful or not, functionally it was bad news and excessive. The Governor is going to make the same mistake again, 120 years later.

I agree that the only think I like about the plan is the potential for a better sheet that isn't five floors above ground level.