• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Heavily Pursuing Potential Trade for J.T. Miller

JT is a valuable enough commodity that Vancouver should not have to retain salary.  If they were to retain, the price would become exceedingly high.  To make this work, we would have to trade some salary, but our significant salaried players either have NTCs or are untouchable.

It is irksome that the perfect fit for our top 6 hole is a guy we already had and gave away in a terrible trade.

25 minutes ago, G1000 said:

If Buchnevich would sign for 2.5m, we wouldn't have even bothered with the "keep or not" conversation.

I usually follow what you lay down pretty much in complete agreement, but that is a absurd assertion. For instance, you could also say that if Zibanejad signed for half of his market value there would be even more savings! At the end of the day players need to get paid in accordance to their production as a playing career is short.

Think what jsm7302 was trying to get at with the Buchnevich comment was, are we going to be looking at trading back for Buch in 4 seasons because we have not been able to adequately replace his production(despite having a 1st and 2nd overall pick) from within? I think most fans get that they had to trade him, and just like with Miller, it was the return more than the actual trade. Even though I have to admit Blais was really growing on me before the injury, there is no way to cover up that fact that it was a pathetic return for a point per game player just entering his prime.

I remember there being whispers about Miller's personality and him not being a player they want to build around at the time of the trade. While it was a slightly different management team at the time, if that was true then it should hold true towards re-acquiring him. Otherwise why trade away for such a lousy return?

7 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

JT is a valuable enough commodity that Vancouver should not have to retain salary.  If they were to retain, the price would become exceedingly high.  To make this work, we would have to trade some salary, but our significant salaried players either have NTCs or are untouchable.

It is irksome that the perfect fit for our top 6 hole is a guy we already had and gave away in a terrible trade.

That's the reason I'm very hesitant to give up on some of these kids.  Over the last 50 years, I've seen it a few too many times....for me, I remember when it was a guy named Rick Middleton and it went from there.

59 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's also a little different playing style to consider....

I get that but in all reality, I think management would have thought twice about that trade if they knew the impact Reaves and Goodrow would have on the roster and the incredible start they were about to have. Buch wouldve solidified the top 6 and allowed some wealth to spread to have three scoring lines. Eh but you can't have 20/20 hindsight. JT Miller has become an incredible player and would definitely compliment this bunch. 

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I get that but in all reality, I think management would have thought twice about that trade if they knew the impact Reaves and Goodrow would have on the roster and the incredible start they were about to have. Buch wouldve solidified the top 6 and allowed some wealth to spread to have three scoring lines. Eh but you can't have 20/20 hindsight. JT Miller has become an incredible player and would definitely compliment this bunch. 

They couldn't afford Buch beyond this year, anyway.

If we are talking about trading enough assets to allow retention, would we prefer Miller at 2.6 for this year and next year, or Gourde at 2.5 for three more seasons? 

Miller is definitely the better player but we only get him for a about 1.3 seasons and his role would be reduced a bit here. 

Gourde would slot in nicely in a 3rd line role at a very team friendly cost until 2025 and has 2 cups worth of playoff experience.  I think in the end I probably prefer Miller but the one thing I do worry with him is the possibility of an attitude issue. 

The only thing that would make me want to go with Gourde is if we kept Kravtsov, traded away other assets on D and welcomed Kravtsov back either at seasons end or training camp. 

A team next year would look very solid with a top 9 of

Kreid Zib Kak

Bread Strome Krav

Alf Gourde Goodrow 

then a 4th of 

Blais Rooney Reaves 

Assuming we are able to get Blais, Rooney to sign minimal deals and the rest get paid along the lines of what we all have discussed before. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

If we are talking about trading enough assets to allow retention, would we prefer Miller at 2.6 for this year and next year, or Gourde at 2.5 for three more seasons? 

Miller is definitely the better player but we only get him for a about 1.3 seasons and his role would be reduced a bit here. 

Gourde would slot in nicely in a 3rd line role at a very team friendly cost until 2025 and has 2 cups worth of playoff experience.  I think in the end I probably prefer Miller but the one thing I do worry with him is the possibility of an attitude issue. 

The only thing that would make me want to go with Gourde is if we kept Kravtsov, traded away other assets on D and welcomed Kravtsov back either at seasons end or training camp. 

A team next year would look very solid with a top 9 of

Kreid Zib Kak

Bread Strome Krav

Alf Gourde Goodrow 

then a 4th of 

Blais Rooney Reaves 

Assuming we are able to get Blais, Rooney to sign minimal deals and the rest get paid along the lines of what we all have discussed before. 

I think this is a pretty solid alternate to JT Miller, Keith.  I'd rather see us spend less to get a guy that fits the bill for what we need, rather than shake the foundation of the team trading and moving money all over the place to make room for Strome and others.

Those lines look like a playoff roster to me!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CCCP said:

why would Seattle trade a player with 50% retention, someone they just signed few months ago?  

Because they didn’t sign him, they stink, he’s 30, and they have something like 13 or so ufa/rfas next year so I think they wouldn’t mind 2-3 high level prospects to fill out a roster. 

17 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I'm sorry, but I don't see why Seattle would do 50% retention on Gourde or Vancouver on Miller.

If that's what the Rangers ask for they will just trade them somewhere else.

Not sure why Gourde is even being mentioned.

Miller is possible because its one season left and Vancouver needs: good prospects, cap space.

39 minutes ago, josh said:

Not sure why Gourde is even being mentioned.

Miller is possible because its one season left and Vancouver needs: good prospects, cap space.

In this particular thread, it seems the Rangers actually are inquiring about Miller, so agree about the Gourde reference.

Anyway, it's been said already, but it bears repeating (if for no other reason than to make @The Dude dig up old posts of his that said the same but got no love):

Miller is perfect. Especially with retention. Can play center or wing, and can play both well. Moreover, he plays a style of game perfectly suited for playoff hockey. I've been all about Giroux, but if the assets to pull the deal off are effectively the same, I'd much rather Miller than Giroux simply because I think he'll give that 2RW or 3C spot an element they lack entirely right now.

2 minutes ago, LONG LONG LONG TIME FAN said:

Same ole BS still pervades this forum. Didn't the NYR give away Miller? Weren't all the naysayers elated? Now peeps want him back?? OMG!

Play with the chips in front of you. Not with what you used to have. Miller is a different player than when we traded him. The landscape has shifted dramatically on that front 

• VINNY! 1

6 minutes ago, LONG LONG LONG TIME FAN said:

Same ole BS still pervades this forum. Didn't the NYR give away Miller? Weren't all the naysayers elated? Now peeps want him back?? OMG!

He's like that girl you knew in HS.

But after college, she grew up, learned how to dress, and grew tits.

• LOL 2
  • VINNY! 1